Photo

Marshall/Oldfield "Pen Repair" - 3rd edition?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

I've been wanting to gift myself a copy of this book, which I only knew of in it's 2nd edition. However, I saw a comment - I believe from someone in the UK - that they had heard a 3rd edition would be coming out this fall. Anyone hear of this? Anyone have any info regarding the veracity?

I'm ready to do it, but I'd feel a bit foolish if I missed a new version that might have more info (and corrections?) by just a couple of months. TIA, gents.

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi Jon,

It sounds quite likely - according to Laurence's website the 2nd edition is virtually sold out, and if they do launch a 3rd edition, it is likely to be at the London WES show on October 6th. You can always e-mail Laurence and ask him, his e-mail address is at the foot of his home page here. Alternatively, Jim Marshall's e-mail address is on his home page here.

Andy

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Ta, Andy, great info. I still sometimes forget how easy it is to just approach the source with questions! I'll write Laurence tomorrow (it's late here, I'm tired).

#4 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi
It might have been one of my posts about this book that said about the third edition.
I got the info from Laurence himself so I suspect it to be true.
There is a first edition one for sale on eBay uk at the moment for those not wanting to pay the high price being asked for the last few second editions before the third comes out.
Paul

#5 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Story of my life :)

I purchased a copy directly from Mr. Oldfield, along with another book for repairing Onoto's specifically.
My Edition is the Second Edition.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

I haven't heard specifics on a publication date, but a third edition is indeed in the works. We talked about it at the DC show in August.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Update: I just received a short note this morning from Laurence Oldfield, in reply to an email I sent him. He said that a 3rd edition is due out at the end of November, and he'll let me know when that occurs. I'll post here next time I hear anything.

#8 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Update: I just received a short note this morning from Laurence Oldfield, in reply to an email I sent him. He said that a 3rd edition is due out at the end of November, and he'll let me know when that occurs. I'll post here next time I hear anything.

Hi Jon

I don't suppose he mentioned what the changes are between the current, and upcoming editions are?
It's a shame that these - which I imagine would not be too many, could not be offerred as amendments - pen or otherwise to the current 2nd Edition.

I look forward to your upcoming posts and comments.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

I don't suppose he mentioned what the changes are between the current, and upcoming editions are?

Sorry, Garth, he didn't. His reply to me was shorter than mine to the list, and I don't want to be a bother. I definitely will post any news I receive in the coming weeks.

#10 RA56

RA56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

In the London pen show few weeks ago I approached One of the authors (Marshall I think) who informed me that the new edition will be available in December.
I have no further details and hopefully this helps.
RA
RA

#11 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I too spoke to them at the London Pen Show. They said that the new edition would be about a third larger with many more illustrations. Didn't ask about price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users