• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

(Couldn't decide where to put this, but it seems content-appropriate...)

We had to take care of some business the other day up in LA (Pasadena) and were going to have the afternoon free. After having some lunch I got the oft-delayed chance to finally visit with Fred Krinke in his venerable shop. What a treat!

As usual (just like at pen shows) I was mostly a blithering idiot, but I tried to remember some of the items I hoped to ask him about, and show him. What a fine gentleman. First, he filled me in on the history of the Golden Rule Pen Co. and how he happened upon a stash of NOS pens from the 20's. I had purchased one of these at the LA Pen Show in Feb, but at the precise time he was upstairs giving a talk about it! He had some copied papers and prices lists he gave me, and we looked at other examples.

He then proceeded to: sell me a few different sacs, after checking on the correct size for the pen; helped with some ink decisions; installed a lever pin (wire) in a Conklin 2nd tier pen; improved the flow on an Aurora 88P; and in general, was a great host, showing us around the store and pointing out highlights of the "museum" in the front. As I figured, when I got home I realized one of the things I had hope to ask I forgot: I wanted to show him an odd Waterman Taperite model I've gotten that I can't find documentation on anywhere (might be Canadian?). Damn! However, I did smile when I showed him the unusual Gregg/Wearever pen I had picked up, of which he didn't think he had seen before.

My, what a different world in there. Just a lovely fellow, his niece also (alas, turning 60 means I'm forgetting names...). Here are a couple pics, me and Fred, and Fred helping my favorite person pick out a new ink. I hope, if you have the opportunity and haven't visited his shop, you will. There can't be many places like this left, and there certainly aren't many people as charming, knowledgeable and helpful as Mr. Fred Krinke.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by JonSzanto, 28 September 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#2 dr.grace

dr.grace

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for this account, Jon!

BTW, it looks like 60 has been kind to you. Alas, apparently not as kind to me (same age.)

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for this account, Jon!

Agreed.

We've met many times over the years at the LA Pen Show, but I've never been to his shop.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

Sounds like a great time had by all !!

....I'd have to agree you've got to 60 pretty well, just shows what a stress free life as a musician coupled with the correct alcohol intake can do ....hopefully the "favorite person" found "THE" ink.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#5 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:39 AM

This is my favorite day-off trip to make to calm my frazzled nerves. I have bought some lovely pens from Fred, had some good repairs done (most fun when I get to watch), and talked about Jazz, the weather, and you name it.

And joking with his niece, whose name is Judy!

I am counting the days until I can stop by again!

Best wishes,
Mars

#6 wastelanded

wastelanded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

What a great day, thanks for sharing with us. I wish there was a shop like this within a day's journey from me.

And Jon, you barely look 50 never mind 60, good on you!
"If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path." ~ Buddha

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users