2 replies to this topic

#1 rpk1204

rpk1204

journeyman

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Here's an interesting little pen I just completed recently. A while back a saw a pen like this and thought it was some kind of frankenpen that someone wired together. Then, while at an antique store recently, I saw two of these in the same box! There was a green one, and this red one. The red one had the better nib, even though I liked the green color better.

Anyway, the best info I have so far is that these were produced during WWII when metals were all going into the war effort. Elgin, from my recollection is better know for watches. Of course one drop and this is history! I have some glass nib dip pens from Europe, so I'm not a total stranger to them, but found this one interesting. Anyone with any more knowledge of Elgin please comment!

Elgin Glass Nib Pics

Randy

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Here's an interesting little pen I just completed recently. A while back a saw a pen like this and thought it was some kind of frankenpen that someone wired together. Then, while at an antique store recently, I saw two of these in the same box! There was a green one, and this red one. The red one had the better nib, even though I liked the green color better.

Anyway, the best info I have so far is that these were produced during WWII when metals were all going into the war effort. Elgin, from my recollection is better know for watches. Of course one drop and this is history! I have some glass nib dip pens from Europe, so I'm not a total stranger to them, but found this one interesting. Anyone with any more knowledge of Elgin please comment!

Elgin Glass Nib Pics

Randy

The pens from that era with glass nibs with which I'm most familiar are Spors brand. Elgins with glass nibs certainly offer opportunity for research and could make a nice niche collection.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

Glass nibs were also generally used before WW2 for a stiff nib to use with layers of carbon copies, as a cheaper alternative to a gold manifold nib.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users