#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hi,

Sid Sharma noted on FP (apparently on FPN too) that Tom had passed away. Confirmed?

Very sad news. I've known Tom for perhaps 7 years. We had good times at the pen shows. He was too young...

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

Well, here we are then...

RIP Tom

http://m.heraldmailm...6878.htmlThomas J. Mullane Jr., 64, of Millers Church Road, Hagerstown, Md., passed away Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, at his home.

Born Oct. 10, 1948, in the Bronx, N.Y., he was the son of the late Thomas J. Mullane Sr. and Louise (Gloor) Mullane.

He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Federation of Fly Fishers, and was well known in the fly-tying industry.

He was a self-employed craftsman.

He is survived by his wife of 15 years, Mary A. (Wolfinger) Mullane; one daughter, Mari E. Mullane at home; and three sisters, Elizabeth, Louisia and Julie.

A memorial service will be held Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013, at 7 p.m. at J.L. Davis Funeral Home, Smithsburg, with the Rev. Steven Johns-Boehme officiating.

Memorial donations may be made in memory of Thomas to the Barbara Ingram School for Arts, Instrumental Department, 7 S. Potomac St., Hagerstown, MD 21740.

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#3 talkinghead

talkinghead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Rest in Peace OldGriz...

Rick

#4 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Damn shame.

Probably selling St. Peter a 51 about now! ;)

JJ
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

This really hurts. Unexpected hits are the worst. Knowing Tom 7 years or so, having shared meals and pen chat at pen shows...

We've lost a good group of hobbyists the lsat year or two, few having reached 70 years.

-d

Posted Image

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:21 AM

Yes, sad news indeed. While "online" was my only connection to Tom he always impressed me as a man of honour and integrity.....and who called a spade a spade !! His pride and love of Mari was a personal piece of his life he shared here at times , a nice touch I think.

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 05 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#7 TimGirdler

TimGirdler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWhere the Waters Fall in "Stonewall"'s Virginia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

I'm shocked....and deeply saddened. I just talked with him on Tuesday.

This is the first I heard about it......

Tim
Tim Girdler Pens (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Terrible news.

Tom was one of the first people I struck up a dialogue with on FPN when I got into fountain pens a couple of years ago. It wasn't long before I realized that - outside of pens - there was an awful lot we diverged on in the world. Having said that, I was struck by Tom's passion, and that he stood for his beliefs - can't ask much more. He was so enamored and proud of his daughter's musical gifts, and I tried to give a bit of guidance. Sorry that he can't see her blossom further... or maybe he can.

Indeed, what a bad year in the pen world. I'm still new, so most of the passings are people I know of rather than know personally. Nonetheless, too many, too soon. Everyone, please take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

Thank you, David, for the notice of this news.

Edited by JonSzanto, 05 October 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#9 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

A real shame, I have followed Old Griz's various forum posts for many years. I only ever 'knew' him from what appeared online but there is no doubt the pen world generally will be poorer for his absence.

Andy

#10 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

A note -- heartbreaking -- from Tom's daughter appeared on FPN last night: http://www.fountainp...rs-appreciated/

One of the great things about having Tom repair a pen was the phone call afterward, usually beginning "You won't believe what I found inside that 51 Vac..."

#11 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

A real shame, I have followed Old Griz's various forum posts for many years. I only ever 'knew' him from what appeared online but there is no doubt the pen world generally will be poorer for his absence.

Andy

Exactly. His words of wisdom will be missed.
--Virginia

#12 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Very sad news...

My condolences to his family.
He will be sorely missed in the pen world!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#13 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

journeyman

• ADVISORS
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Very sad. I did not know Tom well, but bought a couple of pens from him at the shows over the years and enjoyed our exchanges online and in person.

Another loss for the community and I shall miss seeing and chatting with him.

Rick
Posted Image
Visit The PENguin
rickpropas@comcast.net

#14 Carl

Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCoventry, Rhode Island USA

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

To his family and friends I can most truly say that I deeply, sincerely and affectionately sympathize with you in your bereavement and commend you to the loving care of our Heavenly Father Who looks down with infinite compassion on His children and folds in His arms of love and protection all those who put their trust in HIM

The spirit of our Brother having been called to its Heavenly Home we leave him in the hands of our Heavenly Father who doeth all things well. Brother Thomas J. Mullane Jr, I bid thee an affectionate farewell in the faith of joining thee in that temple not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens.

Carl Wood
Master Mason

Edited by Carl, 06 October 2013 - 07:20 PM.

CW

#15 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Just now seeing this. I only knew Tom from the internet, but in our exchanges on FPN, I really came to like him and appreciate his honesty and spirit. He will be missed. My sympathy goes out to his family. RIP Old Griz.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#16 Beringsea

Beringsea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

It was a shock to learn, even though I only knew Tom online.
We shared a birthplace, and Old Griz repaired a Marxton someone gave me...not valuable, but a nice writer. He so obviously loved his daughter!
RIP, sir.

#17 Kelly

Kelly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationS.W. Kansas

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Sad news indeed. I enjoyed Tom's pragmatic view of life and his practical approach to all things fp. I will miss him for his advice and his unquenchable pride in his daughter - that was a joy to behold.

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

The boardware flagged Tom's 67th birthday today. Time passes quickly. It's been just about 2 years since he passed away.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users