• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

The $1 black radite utility pencil with a flat ball clip, at least in the PCA's library, first appears in the 1936 Sheaffer catalog, symbol LL, replacing the fat all metal "silni" utility last shown in the 1935. The 1938 catalog, which introduces Fineline (.9mm lead) pencils, calls the Fineline utility "in working togs" for the first time, symbol LE, on page 10. The utility then appears in many solid colors and with gold trim in 1939. My question concerns the "regular" utility shown on page 11 of the 1938 catalog. What the heck is symbol MM two rows below LL?

Posted Image

The color code is built into the symbol and M is.....red veined grey pearl! Does such a pencil exist? Roger said to ask Daniel. Daniel said he can't recall seeing one, but did note that errors do occur in the catalogs. He did point out that the 1938 catalog lists all three grey patterns: grey stripe (P), grey mottled (A), and red veined grey (M).

Jonathan has what appears to be a red veined grey utility pencil with a WASP clip, but that is the closest I've seen. Maybe he would post a picture of it.

#2 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

It took a while, but Jonathan recently found the answer to my question. These pencils are longer than and predate the typical "working togs" utility pencil and they are NOSE DRIVE! Yes, a nose drive Sheaffer.

http://leadheadpenci...ut-on-togs.html

Note the longer metal tip on the far right pencil:

http://3.bp.blogspot...Sheaffer2a5.jpg

Edited by matt, 29 January 2015 - 05:10 AM.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

Hi Matt,

Nose-drive Sheaffer pencils likely were around as early as 1934-1935.

Are you forgetting?...

regards

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

D'oh! Early truncated balance Juniors.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

You're welcome :)

Though technically "Junior" not "Balance Junior"

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:53 AM

Was trying to describe the shape - "truncated Balance" - to distinguish the early flat-ended Junior from the later Balance-shaped Junior.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

Was trying to describe the shape - "truncated Balance" - to distinguish the early flat-ended Junior from the later Balance-shaped Junior.

Fair enough :)

-d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users