15 replies to this topic

#1 2manypenz

2manypenz

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

This showed up on Neal Laver's doorstep recently and he graciously shared it with us on another forum....
Does anyone recognise the designer?
Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi,

A couple custom pen overlay guys come to mind. One on the USA's west coast, one in England.

Nice pen :)

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

It's Henry Simpole

#4 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

It's Henry Simpole

This overlay is a departure from the way that I have done any of my previous ones, in that the image has been created without any engraving to depict the image.
The image is entirely made up from the 'piercing-out' process, relying entirely on the shadows within the subject, almost like a silhouette [or a negative image] but 'not' quite a silhouette! If you see what I mean!!!Posted Image
This might not be apparent at first, but I can assure you that it does mean that it is very much more difficult to do, and not a little 'nerve-wracking!' as any mistake made during the operation would mean that the whole thing would have to be discarded, and I would have had to start again!Posted Image
It was quite an exciting thing to attempt, and by the time I put the 'beauty spot' in it, [the last thing that I did!] I was just relieved that I had completed it, without any obvious mistakes!
Truffle finder.Posted Image

Edited by Truffle Finder, 07 November 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#5 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

What pen will you put it on? Can't believe you can get that glorious image on a pen. You are just so talented.

#6 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Widget, thank you very much for your comment.
I am very lucky, in that I have a very good friend who is prepared to make up my 'base-pens' for me to fit each individual overlay, which basically means that each one is a 'one-off' pen.
Truffle Finder.Posted Image

#7 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Henry, that is a stunner and my absolute favourite of all your pens, precisely because the design is realised by piercing rather than engraving.

I don't know if you remember the 'Maskelyne' design I sent you a year or two back (girl with cauldron, designed by Carlo Norway) - that was one I had hoped you might be able to translate more by piercing rather than engraving (the smoke could be abstract rather than featuring precisely the sinister beasties in the original image)! Maybe one to revisit, for a pierced design in 9ct gold - I could start saving again.......

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 07 November 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the compliment Andy.
Yes, I do remember the picture that you had sent me a couple of years ago, but I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what I may have done with it in the meantime! I am hoping that you will still have it 'on file' somewhere in your computer set-up, so, if you have time, and can retrieve it, perhaps you could send it to me, [by normal post please! I still have no idea how to print off images from my computer!] and I will consider it again.Posted Image
I will await your letter in the near future, as they say!!!
Truffle Finder.

#9 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

No sooner said than done - the image (but no time to do an accompanying letter) will be in the post to you today. I can adjust the scaling and print it out in any size if it helps ultimately.

Looking at it again, I wonder about the possibilities of mixed materials - gold for the smoke, silver for the girl and other details - or am I getting a bit ahead of myself here....!

Andy

#10 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'll see what I can do............................!
OK?
Truffle Finder.
PS. Maybe you could post the image on here, for the benefit of those people who haven\t got a clue what you were referring to!Posted Image

#11 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

OK Henry, just for you - but don't show anybody else - remember the motto of the Magic Circle, 'Indocilis Privata Loqui' ** ................

Posted Image

This must have been a really racy image when it first appeared in 1919. For those who don't know, Maskelyne was a leading magician of the early part of the 20th century and one of the founders of the Magic Circle in the UK, in 1905. Very little seems to be known about the artist, Carlo Norway, which is a pity because I'd like to see more of his work. He was born in 1886, he seemed to travel widely in Europe, gaining his artistic education in Paris and Dresden and also apparently worked as a sculptor as well as an artist - but that is about all. Maybe when I get bored with pen history, he could be another research project!

As well as gold for the smoke, silver for the other parts, how about rose gold for the flames below the cauldron and niello work silver for the black cauldron? Gosh, what I could do if I only had the time, the technical ability and the talent!!

Andy

** 'Not apt to disclose secrets'
I have never forgotten this, it earned me a good prize in a postal quiz I used to do, very many years ago, before the internet became all-powerful at solving that sort of thing!

Edited by AndyR, 09 November 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#12 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

I had hoped that at least one [or perhaps a couple of people] might have decided to jump in, and make a comment about this proposed overlay design.
I sometimes wonder if one of the reasons for people's reluctance to comment on threads such as this one, is purely because they are frightened about being criticised by someone else.
Please don't be put off by making your point about anything that you feel about anything that appears on here, generally, [I think that I am right in saying this] you have nothing to be scared of over here, on the Fountain Pen Board.
Thanks, mainly to David I.
Truffle Finder.Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I doubt anybody posting on this board will be frightened by potential criticism, there aren't too many shrinking violets here as far as I can see!

The greatest difficulty for me in thinking about details of a design is appreciating how effective it might be when curled for the barrel and I am particularly relying on Henry's advice to tell me what works and what doesn't in his experience.

Andy

#14 Rocco P

Rocco P

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationItaly, Rome

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

I recently had occasion to handle two Italian pens with stunning niello overlays depicting religious imagery. Unfortunately I had not the forethought to take pictures.
Does anyone have any to share here? Maybe some of your work, Mr Simpole, as it's always stunning, if you could share?

Edited by Paolino, 17 November 2013 - 06:10 AM.

--

Rocco

#15 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

The idea of using niello sound great...

I included an image of niello pens as Paolino suggested.. At this point it is in the gallery, I will have to make some updates to include it here.

Ariel

Edited by Penmex, 21 November 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#16 2manypenz

2manypenz

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

At your service!

med_gallery_3716_292_32024.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users