#1 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Yes, its the Suwanee River. Sue me.

A few years ago, I posted a conundrum pen here - I collect large American plastic Swans, and I thought it would be a fun post. In Columbus I picked up another Swan - interesting but not large like the others. (The one on the far left). The two on the far right are very cool - gigantic nibs, one of which didn't fit in the cap without some adjustment.

Here's my small but growing collection:

Posted Image

Edited by marcshiman, 11 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

Nice !! I see a lot of UK Swans over here ( Aust.) but never their US "mates".

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Nice !! I see a lot of UK Swans over here ( Aust.) but never their US "mates".

Regards
Hugh

Some of the Stateside Swans look identical to the UK versions - especially the big flat tops.

#4 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

The designs really only began to diverge in the later 1920s and 1930s.
Most of the American Swans of the streamline era are smaller pens, so the big examples shown in the OP are very uncommon.

#5 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

Amazing collection! I wish someday I would collect pens, but all I do is sell them :-) Thank you for sharing; I like the orange/red one the best.

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Would it be wrong here to add English plastic Mabies of nice appearance?

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Some of my English M T's.  The first and second obviously are not plastic.  The first is my oldest being turn of the century (M T & Bard ED) and the second is my favourite a sterling 39's pen gorgeous writer perfect weight.  Pic in gallery.  Have not a clue how I added it last time.

gallery_12816_182_1011305.jpg

Edited by Widget, 24 November 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#8 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

Would it be wrong here to add English plastic Mabies of nice appearance?

I think the British ones had nicer plastics than the American ones - Widget's photo would prove that. Finding unusual American Swan plastics is really difficult - I suppose which is why I bother. 

The only British 6 size pens are black though (someone can feel free to prove me wrong). Most of the British pens are much slimmer, but long pens. They have a really beautiful coral (like Wahl/Carter), and a tangerine that is really unique. 

(Widget, I used the My Media button in my last post, and it works very easily).

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#9 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

Marcshiman  I couldn't find a media button but I eventually found the BCC and used that.  I have only found #6 nibs in black pens and all my coloured pens are long and quite slim.  The green marble and black Eternals have the widest girth.  I have a coral in a vest pen very cute.

#10 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

#6 nibs can also be found in mottled rubber pens such as the 46ETN. However, the prices are truly outrageous.

#11 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

I remember now seeing a rbhr Eternal 46 quite a while ago on an on line auction.  I was going to bid on it but it exceeded my maximum within seconds and finished around £440 hammer price but you have to add another 25% in charges so you are correct they are not cheap pens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users