#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hi,

After three years, I've caved and implemented an Invision Power Board update.  The earlier software worked well, and the custom skins appealed, but with recent advances by the spambots, I needed the improved security found with the current software.

The skins are gone, I fear, but I will be looking into fresh skin customization during the next few months.

The CHAT tab at top of the board now works, for first time.

Supposedly, the GALLERY tab has an improved interface.

Feel free to chime in regarding problems and regarding anything that seems to work better than before. 

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

The 'full version' of the site seems nonexistent on my iPhone jumping to only what seems to be the mobile version.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi Todd,

Very bottom of page has a "Change Theme" button.  Mobile is an option.  I've heard that the next IPB update in a few months will switch to Mobile automatically when necessary.   Do try to change to mobile and please let me know if that helps.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

So far all looks to work great, both on laptop and my Samsung Galaxy S3. Thank you David!

Not trying to be to demanding with your time and patience, but how about use the momentum and go for Tapatalk? ;) It´s free for the board and it's great to use with Tablets and Smartphones!

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#5 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

How do you add a photo from gallery to forums?  I've only just got used to the old method of BCC copy and paste and now it's gone.  Can some one talk me through the new system?

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hi Widget,

Seems to be still there. IPB has habit of tweaking interface. Can be a pain. Once viewing an image, at mid-upper right is black button "Options". Clicking on it loads a menu which includes "Share Links". That in turn includes the BBC code to select to paste into posts.  Frankly, I would rather have had that presented the old way, but once used, it a bit should not present much hassle.

regards

david

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

So far all looks to work great, both on laptop and my Samsung Galaxy S3. Thank you David!

Not trying to be to demanding with your time and patience, but how about use the momentum and go for Tapatalk? ;) It´s free for the board and it's great to use with Tablets and Smartphones!

I'm using accumulated vacation time to take nearly a month off in December.  That should be a good time to try to implement this.

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

David
Clearing the history and rebooting the phone fixed the odd behavior.
Todd

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

Excellent

Posted Image

#10 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

oof I just made the mistake of selecting the status update button (never saw that before)

The update looks great and switching between mobile version and desktop would be handy.

--greg

edited to add: my above referenced comments re status updates was met with all spam, since reloading everything is normal.

Edited by gweddig, 17 November 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#11 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Great news on the Tapatalk possibility, Thank again David!!

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#12 Beringsea

Beringsea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

My avvy disappeared. Can't find where or how to restore...also don't see how to subacribe to a topic.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hi Sailor,

At top right of page in any thread, just above "reply to this topic" is a "follow this topic" button. I think that subscribes. Hope so anyway.

Not sure where your avatar went (I didn't delete it), but that should be reuploadable in your member profile.

regards

david

Posted Image

#14 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

David,

The reset wiped out my user name which used to be my full email and defaulted it to only the portion before the @ sign !!

#15 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

David,

Been away on a pen buying trip, and I have to say, this is really, really slick! What a great improvement! I am really impressed, and once again, this is my main posting place, even though I come to learn here and really do not have much to offer in the way of pen collecting knowledge. 

Thanks David! 

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#16 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I like it too. Media is really easy now if its in your gallery - just hit the "My Media" button on the top row, select your image and go - see my Bologna Pen Show post. Easier than cutting and pasting codes.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#17 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

The "Quote" and "MultiQuote" buttons no longer work for me on this version of the board software. I get the reply box, but no quotes are added and there doesn't seem to be a way to do so. I'm running IE 11 and have also tried compatibility mode, but no help.

David, could you check with the supplier?

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

The "Quote" and "MultiQuote" buttons no longer work for me on this version of the board software. I get the reply box, but no quotes are added and there doesn't seem to be a way to do so. I'm running IE 11 and have also tried compatibility mode, but no help.

Hi John,

The quote no longer is automatic. But hitting the "quote" button works for me.   I didn't know anyone still used Explorer ;)  Safari and Firefox work great.

You did try the buttons?  

regards

david

Posted Image

#19 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:59 AM

Yes, I tried the buttons. When I hit the quote button, I get pushed to the reply box, but no quote is put into the box as usually happened with the previous version.

Oh yeah, most people still use IE BTW. :)

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#20 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi John,

The quote no longer is automatic. But hitting the "quote" button works for me.   I didn't know anyone still used Explorer ;)  Safari and Firefox work great.

You did try the buttons?  

regards

david

Hi David,

The board software works ok with IE 10, which is what I'm using right now at work. It looks like the board software doesn't work with IE 11. Can you report this to the host company?

Thanks,

John

John Danza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users