30 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

Many collectors hope to find and acquire hefty pen collections and hoards.  Not so many manage it. Whether buying   a focused collector's holdings, or dealing with a casual picker in the wild, to be able to price a big bunch of pens in manner that makes good business but which also does not abuse the seller... takes practice.  When spending 3 hours to look at 300 (or 3000) pens, one cannot indulge in the 30 minutes-per-pen that one might when examing a single pen on a dealer's table at a pen show.  One must buy the chaff with the wheat, accept the 30 Parker 21's to get at the one Parker 51.  

I admit... i love it.  I've bought several collections the last few years. There was the  1000-pen Hoard from New York (I was splitting time between NYC and Syracuse, so was the family that owned the collection... fate) which mostly was Arnolds up to Eclipses, but then had one of just a few known of the vaunted Wahl oversize (Decoband) flat-top in Flamingo. Or the NJ Turnpike Hoard when Paul Erano and I met  a retired Parker/Waterman distributor and bought his left over stock. Or the Gang of Five Pens hoard bought from Steve Overbury at the Ohio Pen Show 2012, for which I partnered with Mike Dvoretz, Jim Baer, Richard Binder and Rick Krantz (do a search on Facebook for Gang of Five Pens to find our page).  Last year I pulled in Erano for the Lancaster Pen Hoard, after a fellow found me with plan to liquidate a 30 year holding of near moderns including choice Omas, Pelikan, Visconti, Parker and such.

I grabbed two collections just in the last month (will detail in another post the focused vintage pen collection found at Ohio last month).

Meanwhile, for the last 18 months, fate has taken me part time to Janesville, WI, home of Parker. I've long split time btween NYC (hanging out half the month not working in Manhattan) and  half the month out of town in specialized Hospital Medicine position that offer certain perks.   When my old group director left Syracuse for the mid west,  we talked of my joining him out there to work, and  I asked him what town?  "Oh, said he, "I doubt you've ever heard of it. It's a small town in Wisconsin"...

The rest is history.

So last month someone found my website.  Not so serious as a collector (not with books, mags, etc) he'd managed to salt away about 300 pens mostly Parkers, from 20 years of casual hunting. Time to sell.  I noted we'd need to send images and/or pens or we'd need to get together. Where was he?  Figure Janesville. Fate, again.  That's how he casually was able to find so many Parkers. Flea markets out there are not like flea markets in NY.  I met him and bought the collection. Lots of chaff. Also some nutritious wheat. 5-10 pens for my personal collection. Lots of good stuff for the website. Lots of... other stuff.

I'll start with a few key pics here of most of the really old stuff, also a link to some of the serious pens (off catalogue and prototype, no joke)  of the sort that are found by casual hunters of Parkers in Janesville. That was a different thread. There will be more to follow after the first few pics below.

First. It seems he liked Red Parkers.  Three of the Big Reds  (Parker Duofold Senior) are quite nice. One has that off-catalogue nib with nearly no vent hole. Couple of the red Duofold Juniors are not bad. The early one in red hard rubber (vs later celluloid) seems clean at first peek. Still need to examine that further.

janesvillehoardA_a900.jpg

Here's the special nib shown above.

Link for Discussion of this Off-Catalogue NIb

parker_duofold_nib_ventless900a.jpg

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

Moving on...

I offered a dedicate thread for the following pens, all off-catalogue, some arguably prototype from the Janesville Pen Hoard. All these, save perhaps the Parker 51-- an apparently unique slender Demi vac-fill with special cap (vac-fill Demis as a rule are not slender)-- will stay with me.

Link to Discussion of the Off-Catalogue Parker pens from the Janesville Hoard, now shown below

parker_janesville_offcatalogue900a.jpg

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:55 AM

There were more Duofolds in the bunch, in a variety of colors. Most of these are worn or are parts pens. The two most solid pens are an excellent petite Vest Pocket Duofold in Moderne Black and Pearl Celluloid with excellent color and a streamlined Duofold Senior in Lapis Blue, with very nice, though not mint, color.

janesvillehoardA_b900.jpg

regards

David

Posted Image

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

I'll probably keep the middle pen of this group.

Clockwise from Left Lower

1. Gold Filled Parker Lucky Curve late 1910's-early 1920's, medium length slender. Gold-filled gripping section and blind cap noted. This was offered both ring top and spoon clip (unusual clip for Parkers) in a variety of patterns. This pattern is relatively common. Still, a very clean pen.
  2. Parker 32 Acid Etched Sterling: Monster of the bunch. Near mint condition, original patina, to my eye (admittedly pre-1920 is not my core focus) a relatively uncommon pattern
  3. Parker Lucky Curve 25. Duofold Sr size black hard rubber pen. Early-ish with full number on blind cap and with "Jack Knife Safety" on cap. Decent condition bandless pen. No cracks. Decent but weak barrel imprint. Flexible Lucky Curve #5 nib

janesvillehoardA_c900.jpg

-d

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

A mix of mostly old and one new-ish non-Parkers

1. Pelikan 140, 1950's
  2. Montblanc 149, bad nib, clean pen
  3. 1932 Wahl Eversharp Equipoised slender mid-size ring top in scarce Flamingo
  4. Williamson, a native Janesville, WI Pen. Black HR
  5. Wahl Eversharp Decoband (oversized Personal Point flat top) in Lapis. Punched seal and Warranted nib indicate a late-in-run product. Very clean with very nice color, though not mint color. This is the first blue Decoband I've managed to score, as I'd long hope to find one in reasonable fashion, and this was my first chance to do so. I'll keep this a bit.

janesvillehoardA_d900.jpg

-d

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

Oh yeah, Vacumatics.

Figure there were Vacumatics in a Janesville pen hoard ;)

The really special couple are shown in the "off catalogue" image above.

Many of the following are parts pens or will serve as tolerable-but-worn users. Of course even worn Vacs can offer quite useful parts.

Near center bottom is a reverse trim Debutante (gray pen with gold filled instead of chrome trim).   The red Star-Clip major is not too bad.  

janesvillehoardA_e900.jpg

-d

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

Soon to follow:

• Parker 51
  • Parker 75
  • Parker 180
  • Parker modern Duofold

Posted Image

#8 soot

soot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I love a good story like this. When fate comes in play, things happen and all the interesting pens come out.

#9 Beringsea

Beringsea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Cool haul!

Ps, the forum looks all different-y now. 0_0

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Cool haul!

Ps, the forum looks all different-y now. 0_0

Hi Sailor,

Do check the Greetings/News forum regarding the website update.

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi David,

Is the silver overlay pen marked 32 on the blind cap? I don't recall a model 32 in the product line. It looks more like a 14. However, it's not just any 14, as the overlay is most definitely different and far more interesting than the standard. It's a nice pen no matter how you slice it. Good find.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi John,

The blindcap is marked "32"

regards

david

Posted Image

#13 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi David,

Is the silver overlay pen marked 32 on the blind cap? I don't recall a model 32 in the product line. It looks more like a 14. However, it's not just any 14, as the overlay is most definitely different and far more interesting than the standard. It's a nice pen no matter how you slice it. Good find.

My bad on this one David. I did just find reference to this very pen in the September 1920 "Parkergram" dealer newsletter, noted as a model 32.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#14 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Nice haul David!  Took me a while to comment on the thread and get back to it, nice to a good haul coming out of Janesville.

Being from Janesville myself, I find myself usually combating people who collect Parker from a nostalgia perspective, not a collecting pens mindset.  The nostalgia mindset (at least in my experience) tend to drive prices of even ordinary Parkers to higher than normal prices so I've almost given up looking.  i.e. an inlaw of mine has a fairly standard Parker 75 SS Cisele that he has been told by many Parker "experts" is worth upwards of $200.  That said as you found you do still come across nice finds and hopefully at a somewhat more reasonable price!!

My Site: Pens and Ink

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

A nice tray of Parker 51's was included, including a Plum set. The set with sterling caps near left has very clean caps.  The barrel of the black pen with sterling cap near left has an interesting barrel imprint.

ohio2013hoardL850.jpg

regards

-d

Posted Image

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

I likely would not have photographed this cluster, but while Paul was down visiting, he insisted to grab these pens  and take 'em home (I already had promised him the flawed big MB).  Parkers, Low-line MB's, MB 149, a Lamy.  This really was nearly a chaff pile. There is so much more wheat to shoot.

ohio2013hoardM850.jpg

-d

Posted Image

#17 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

time to wow me.....

show me the money....

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

Geez Rick.  Tough crowd ;)

-d

Posted Image

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

I remember wanting to buy my first Parker Flighter (all brushed-steel pen) years ago. Now I'm  finding them by the dozen.

All these are Parker 180's, best known for offering two points in one.

janesvillehoardA_g900.jpg

regards

-d

Posted Image

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

I accidentally posted the following in the Ohio Hoard thread, but really this bunch was from the Janesville Hoard. So, let's post again

I don't do much with Jotters (Parker's ballpoints), but this batch, along with a low tier Parker fountain pen, the 45, appealed to me.  All the following are 1964 World's Fair (NY) items. An original box indicates Parker was the fair's  official pen. Anyone recall the name of the fancy Jotters?  Is it Princess?

I like this shot. For those with smaller screens, you likely can magnify it by clicking on it.

parker_jottter_worlds_fair1200.jpg

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users