david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thoughts on this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/...utorefresh=true

Or, as they say, "And some people gripe that retailers of old pens charge toooOOoooo muuuUUUuuuch"

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A VINTAGE WATERMAN'S IDEAL 452 FOUNTAIN PEN ~ STERLING SILVER Filigree BaskeT? Overlay Pattern ~ ~ Bold Pen of Overall Length 3-5/8 inches ~ ~ 'IDEAL' Globe Embossed on Side Lever don't know if this model had a clip Waterman's Ideal STERLING SILVER OVERLAY FILIGREE BASKET pattern, which was manufactured in USA circa 1900s. This Waterman's IDEAL is in nice condition. It is in STERLING SILVER overlay, which is rare and high ranged model. On the lever the 'IDEAL' globe is also embossed. At the end of the barrel is the model number '452' embossed. The pen is not personalized; there is an empty space on the barrel. This Waterman's is a classic elegance and has been produced to the highest standards of carftsmanship. This would make an excellent gift to treat yourself or for someone special.

$_57.JPG

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Awww, I want one of those. I've actually been hunting one of those since I got into pens. Sweet little pens that way too often go for those sort of crazy prices. I will find one someday dang it, but I have a very firm price limit so it'll be a while. ;)

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Neat little pen but really it'll sit there for a long time...especially with low inflation...clearly didn't think much of the one offer from , I think, a person well known around these parts.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Awww, I want one of those. I've actually been hunting one of those since I got into pens. Sweet little pens that way too often go for those sort of crazy prices. I will find one someday dang it, but I have a very firm price limit so it'll be a while. ;)

Hi Josephine,

You might not have to wait too long. Really nice ones, restored with warranty, often are sold by retailers for  about 10% of what the ebay auction seeks.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

This isn't even a very good example.  There are several dings and the barrel end is out of round due to being banged around.  The cap end may be also, but there is no picture of that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#6 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

I thought it might be firebreakline at first, but it wasn't. The reader did get history lesson on Waterman that has to be worth at least $1500 or so of the price.  Josephine I usually sell them for <$125 depending on the pattern.  I have a decent vine engraved for $175. 

Jerry

#7 Michael Quitt

Michael Quitt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

I saw that listing, also...and, at first, thought that they may have put the decimal point in the wrong place...lol  It's missing the ring at the top of the cap...perhaps it's "prototype"??? :^ )

Michael Quitt

www.charmcitypens.com

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

I saw that listing, also...and, at first, thought that they may have put the decimal point in the wrong place...lol  It's missing the ring at the top of the cap...perhaps it's "prototype"??? :^ )
Michael Quitt
www.charmcitypens.com

You might be correct about the decimal point. The listing was ended due to an "error."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users