24 replies to this topic

#1 JanesvilleJones

JanesvilleJones

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

According to the December 2013 issue of Pen Word magazine, Bonhams & Butterfields will have a Parker Aztec up for auction tomorrow. It seems that they expect it to fetch “$40,000 – 80,000”…

Any thoughts…?

Anyone planning to bid…? ;)

Edited by JanesvilleJones, 17 December 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

These have sold across a rather huge price range..  There are reports of some manipulation here n' there with prices too.   An iconic pen,  but market for fancy overlays is well down from peak.  Happy to see it do better, but $20-30k could be the zone...

Too bad I fly out just before the sale.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

One was floating around the LA show last year.  I think the askign price was down to 20K with no takers.

Todd

#4 Fred H

Fred H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCarlisle PA USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

I was looking at pens at the preview on Sunday afternoon.  I was the only one there, other than three staff.  I forgot about the Aztec, but every vintage pen I took out of the cases and looked at (mostly overlays) had a problem that was not evident in the catalogue, usually dings on the "back side" or one end or t'other.  I posted four pictures (not Parkers) in other forums.

On the other hand, I looked over a few modern pens and they were fine.

Fred 

Edited by Fred H, 18 December 2013 - 04:00 AM.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

Careful in-person perusal is key.  I spent hours previewing the first Swann Auction, and picked up some killer Chiltons very reasonably. But, I did not even contemplate a bid on more than half the lots, d/t issues.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

After looking at the photo online, this Aztec looks to be in really great shape. However, as David noted, you've got to see these in person and examine them with a fine tooth comb.

As far as value, I think $20k-$30k is more like it. Even an iconic pen like this would need to be stickered in the box to command a crazy number like $60K-$80K. I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but there's a dealer who I used to see at all the shows who had a 59 and a 60 (the SS and the GF, respectively) Aztecs and always threw around a number like $140K for the pair. That's a price that really means "I have no intention on selling them but I like showing them off for the 'wow' factor".

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

So, what did it bring?

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

It would seem that the Aztec, the 35, the two 15s,  the Giant, the 43, and the Carltonware base didn't sell.

http://www.bonhams.c...rrency=USD&m0=0

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the link, Todd.

On the other hand... holy crap... a rather bland Parker 16 pulled $3500. Might be time to put one in an auction.

-d

Posted Image

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

And, $550 for what looks to be a clean PFM Demonstrator is quite the bargain, though again I won't bid in auctions like this without viewing the pens first. Perhaps I'll make effort to be in town for the next auction.

-d

Posted Image

#11 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

preview is key

I remember swann

#12 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the link, Todd.

On the other hand... holy crap... a rather bland Parker 16 pulled $3500. Might be time to put one in an auction.

-d

Some of those prices are crazy. They can't possibly be right. You can by a heavily faded eyedropper 16 for a few hundred bucks on ebay just about every other week. The heavily faded 33 went for 10 times what it's worth. The 62 is a pen worth less than a grand all day long, not $5100. But they couldn't get $500-$800 for the Giant, even with the heavy fading? Jeez, you can get $400-$500 just for the nib, feed and section.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#13 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

These have sold across a rather huge price range..  There are reports of some manipulation here n' there with prices too.   An iconic pen,  but market for fancy overlays is well down from peak.  Happy to see it do better, but $20-30k could be the zone...

Too bad I fly out just before the sale.

regards

david

Haven't been aware of any shenanigans with Aztecs at their peak. There were some with other categories of pens, but not early fancy eyedroppers. In this case, price levels have dropped mainly due to shifts in collecting, with a new generation of collectors not really getting the super-rare early pens on their radar.  Downside of learning the ropes online instead of in person -- no real exposure to the very best of the very best.

Wonder who is paying the crazier money, though, for the overpriced ordinary stuff.

David

#14 pajaro

pajaro

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

I don't care how rare something is, if it looks old it's not attractive. 

#15 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

beauty is an individual preference.

Personally, I think most of the new limited editions look like shit, but I understand each person has a personal preference.

and I find a lot of the old pens aesthetically pleasing.

#16 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

Personally, I think most of the new limited editions look like shit, but I understand each person has a personal preference.

Can I nominate this as post of the month?

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

I'm shocked... utterly shocked... that different people have different preference regarding pen collecting ;)

But, I am willing to trade new pens for old. 

regards

david

Posted Image

#18 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

Which -- the original post, or the response?

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:09 AM

Which -- the original post, or the response?

Isn't this where Rorschach enters the game?

-d

Posted Image

#20 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:20 AM

To be more specific, I liked the first half of the following phrase:

"Personally, I think most of the new limited editions look like shit, but I understand each person has a personal preference."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users