24 replies to this topic

#21 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:28 AM

To quote Steve McQueen, in what I believe was his last movie (can't remember the name of it) -  "New stuff is no damn good".  Not entirely true, but I agree with some aspects of this sentiment.  I prefer Caravaggio to Warhol.  I prefer a Parker Duofold (a real one - not the new stuff) to a Parker 51. A Waterman from 1925 to a Waterman made in Paris last year.  But that's just me. 

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#22 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

It is easier for me to be pleased and satisfied with older pens than with new, although I have some nice ones, but if there is one pen I never understood why its price goes so high is the Aztec Parker... I have had one in my hands more than once and it does not even look "Aztec" !! ...

But as Procyon wrote... that's just me

#23 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

I also prefer the older pens, but...that´s just us ;)

#24 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

It is easier for me to be pleased and satisfied with older pens than with new, although I have some nice ones, but if there is one pen I never understood why its price goes so high is the Aztec Parker... I have had one in my hands more than once and it does not even look "Aztec" !! ...

But as Procyon wrote... that's just me

Parker thought it was Aztec-like. In the catalog, it's specifically call "The new Awanyu design", stating it was " a 'Awanyu Aztec design. Design hundreds of years old, but recently discovered by archeologists".

Frankly, while I like the design, I think the Swastika design (Model 52 Sterling, Model 53 GF)is really cool looking too. The Swastika was an Indian good luck symbol before it was hijacked by the Nazis. These pens are much more rare than the Aztecs, if you can judge by how often they appear at auction.

Here's a cool little grouping, from the Sachs-Fultz collection, which was brought to a Chicago Pen Club meeting a long time ago. Probably the highest value of pens in such a little box?

Setofsixclose_zps2647eb0e.jpg

Setofsix_zps30a9b3f9.jpg

SilverGoldSwastikaandAztec_zps46cb5b53.j

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#25 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

John

Thank you for your information, it helps a lot to clarify the name origin...

When I first saw the pen I thought about the Native American Hopies and their Kachinas, there is a strong relationship between them and Aztecs,

Aztlan, the site from where they were supposed to come is somewhere near the "Mesas" in New Mexico, then the pen name makes sense.

And thank you for the images too... quite something for pen lovers...

Regards, Ariel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users