Photo

So I got this Vacumatic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Oversize Vac: Retip or New Nib? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I get the nib retipped or replaced?

1. Retipped (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Replaced (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

There's a pawn shop that is on the downtown square in my hometown that I visit occasionally. I bought a Eversharp Skyline there about a year ago that, though the pressure bar is not 100% functional, it works great and the semi-flex nib is just a joy to play with. 

The proprietor had told me back when I bought that pen that he had a bunch of pens in a box at home, which he told me he'd bring that next week. And then the next week, and so on. I eventually quit going every week, just stopping in occasionally. But with a tea shop opening up just down the street, I was over there a lot more and stopped in. I asked about the pens, and it was the same story. Except that in 3 weeks, he did bring them in. 

And I saw this-seemingly- giant Parker Vacumatic with a beautiful two-tone nib, matching section and jewels, and a freely moving speedline filler. The cap was missing, and the tipping on the right tine is broken, but I knew I could fix it up and find a cap, use it for a while and sell it. 

It took me literally two months to get him to sell it, and even when I did, I had to buy three other pens (I know a horrible fate). 

It turns out it's a 2nd quarter 1936 Vacumatic Oversize!

Any thoughts on where I can get a cap? 

I've also posted a poll as to what I should do with the nib. Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated! I was thinking of getting a stub retip if I went that route. 

Here's a link to my photobucket where I have several pictures of the pen.

http://s1296.photobu...f811c.jpeg.html

Edited by Mastersmith043, 21 December 2013 - 11:37 PM.

Check out my fledgling pen blog: http://kimballspens.blogspot.com

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Will, is that you?  Thoughtyou had a different name here?

Retipping will cost less than a crisp two tone oversize Vac nib.

Caps for OS can be tough. If someone has cap and someone has barrel, often the barrel goes to the cap owner, though such things of course are not etched in stone ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Will, is that you?  Though you had a different name here?

Retipping will cost less than a crisp two tone oversize Vac nib.

Caps for OS can be tough. If someone has cap and someone has barrel, often the barrel goes to the cap owner, though such things of course are not etched in stone ;)

-d

Yep, it's me! 

I always kinda wanted to do a retipping anyway, and I think this pen would be the only one I could justify the cost on. I'll wait till I figure out the cap issue before sending it off though. I'm hoping to be able to keep it for a while and use it before I sell it, though I wouldn't be opposed to selling it as it is. 

Edited by Mastersmith043, 21 December 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

An OS Vacumatic cap is easily 200+. Good hunting.

#5 AeRoberto

AeRoberto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

In my opinion retipping is the best and cheapest way. As for the cap, it will be hard to find a replacement one, and it will be very expensive.

#6 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

I would neither retip nor replace until I had a cap in hand. Then I'd replace. Retipping often damages the plating, and this is a pen that should have an undamaged nib.

signature_richard.png

Click to send emailrichard@richardspens.com

#7 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:42 AM

well--as i remarked on FPN, on the same subject--i'm in the market for a burgundy OS barrel, so should you ever decide to let go of yours, do let me know.

but good luck first of all on your hunt for a cap, though--i know how it feels to have a key part missing (my OS does have a barrel, but it has a defect that prevents it from creating a vacuum).

Edited by penmanila, 28 December 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

This cap and this barrel are due to meet...

regards

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

regards

-d

Have you purchased both halves or do you just have a feeling?

Just a thought, if you happen to see a bare nib for sale, I'd grab it, even if I didn't have the cap.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

regards

-d

Have you purchased both halves or do you just have a feeling?

Just a thought, if you happen to see a bare nib for sale, I'd grab it, even if I didn't have the cap.

Oh no. I have red Vac OS's. Just philosophizin'...

-d

Posted Image

#11 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

well--as i remarked on FPN, on the same subject--i'm in the market for a burgundy OS barrel, so should you ever decide to let go of yours, do let me know.

but good luck first of all on your hunt for a cap, though--i know how it feels to have a key part missing (my OS does have a barrel, but it has a defect that prevents it from creating a vacuum).

I'll definately keep you're name in mind. You'll be first on my list if I decide to sell it. It took me about a year to convince the guy to sell it, so I'm not quite ready to let go of it yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users