• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paulhib

paulhib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

I was in grade school in the 50's and had lots of pens -- Shaffer snorkel - stuff like that. They always fascinated me  My collection was stolen from my house in California except for a Waterman Opera that I had with me.  So I am down to one pen from dozens  -- well maybe a dozen. 

I am here because I want to change the nib on the Waterman from fine to medium.  I possess both.  No matter what I read I cannot figure out how to open the housing for the nib. Do not want to force anything.  

That is what brought me to this site, but I am finding that I like what I have read so far.

Not sure how the tags work..Will hang around. 

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

The nib and feed on these pens are pressed into the section.  Because they have use a cartridge/converter, the end is closed with a piercing tube to carry the ink to the feed, so you can not knock it out as you would on a vintage pen.   Don't just grab a pair of pliers to yank them out - the nib and feed have to be coaxed out of the section. They're tight.   IIRC the inside of the section is keyed so that they won't shift and rotate.  When you go to put things back together you need to line them up with the notches in the section.

If you haven't done this before you might want to send the pen to have someone do it for you.  Another option is to buy a replacement nib on eBay where you will save quite a bit over retail from Waterman.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#3 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Welcome to the Board, Paulhib !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users