Photo

How to tell what size my Toothbrush Duofold is?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I won a toothbrush duofold from ebay, and I have both of the sac sizes specified on Richard Binder's site, but I dont know how to tell what size pen mine is. The pen measures about 5-5 1/16 in long and the barrell is about .5 in. in diameter. Any thoughts?

Edited by Mastersmith043, 26 December 2013 - 10:30 PM.

Check out my fledgling pen blog: http://kimballspens.blogspot.com

#2 ljwahl

ljwahl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the larger size...

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi,

The geometric pattern (Parker's words) Duofold known widely to collectors as "toothbrush" was produced in the USA 1939, probably into early 1940.  Yours indeed is the larger of the two sizes, standard, vs the shorter more narrow slender size.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

The geometric pattern (Parker's words) Duofold known widely to collectors as "toothbrush" was produced in the USA 1939, probably into early 1940.  Yours indeed is the larger of the two sizes, standard, vs the shorter more narrow slender size.

regards

david

I noticed that the nib is marked 8. Is that the production date or some kind of Parker code?

Once I got the pen back together, I discovered that the nib is somewhat flexible. It's no wet noodle, but its got at least as much as my Noodlers Ahab or Eversharp Skyline, and I think a bit softer than those. Is that typical?

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

regards

david

I noticed that the nib is marked 8. Is that the production date or some kind of Parker code?

Once I got the pen back together, I discovered that the nib is somewhat flexible. It's no wet noodle, but its got at least as much as my Noodlers Ahab or Eversharp Skyline, and I think a bit softer than those. Is that typical?

This marks the nib as a late 1938 item, if there are no surrounding dots. Not shocking on a 1939 Duofold. Often pens are found with a few month spread between nib and barrel date codes. Does your barrel have a date code after "made in USA"?   Should be a "9" in this case, with up to three surrounding dots.

Any flex is a minority finding in late 1930's Parker nibs. Most are quite firm.  Even responsiveness (squishiness, softness) without frank flex tends to be a minority finding.  When home next week, I'll shoot some "toothbrush" Duofolds.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi,

regards

david

This marks the nib as a late 1938 item, if there are no surrounding dots. Not shocking on a 1939 Duofold. Often pens are found with a few month spread between nib and barrel date codes. Does your barrel have a date code after "made in USA"?   Should be a "9" in this case, with up to three surrounding dots.

Any flex is a minority finding in late 1930's Parker nibs. Most are quite firm.  Even responsiveness (squishiness, softness) without frank flex tends to be a minority finding.  When home next week, I'll shoot some "toothbrush" Duofolds.

regards

david

I just checked and double checked, and there is no date code near the imprint or anywhere else I can tell on the barrel. The imprint itself is nice and crisp, so I don't think that it is worn off. 

I'll see if I can get a picture of the flex up. It's pretty interesting. 

#7 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Here's a pic of the flex. I didn't push it as far as I did with the Skyline because  I am not experienced with the Parker, but if you account for the differences, in ink and knowledge of the pen, the two pens are almost exactly the same, and the Parker is noticeably softer.image11_zps83b3ae4c.jpeg

(Please ignore my lower-case r, as I obviously don't know how to write.)

Edited by Mastersmith043, 27 December 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

Here is a shot of some of the geometric (toothbrush) Duofolds. 

Three colors (really four, counting black, but you cannot see the toothbrushes on the black pens), two size pens, one size pencil. Single-stroke button filling s system (not the plunger of the Vacumatic filling pens, which were not done in toothbrush celluloid)

The silver pearl pencil is a bit of a rarity.

parkerduofold_toothbrush_trio850a.jpg

regards

david

Posted Image

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

David often forgets to clarify the unusual. I too am guilty of this. Note the pencil has a different cap band than those on the pens.

4 colors, two sizes, at least two cap bands, reverse trim...one could fill a drawer without duplicates.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi Todd,

I have not seen reverse trim on the "toothbrush" Duofolds. Have you seen that?

Yeah, the pencil has what is known as the "jeweler's" cap-band, which is of course original despite the name.  Unlike striped Duofolds (1940+) and Vacumatic, this cap-band is rare on the toothbrush pens.  Doubt I've seen ten ever.  Occasional one on sales pages can be seen in early Pen Fancier's Magazine. I've got a couple.

regards

d

Posted Image

#11 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well that's some eye candy right there. Thanks for sharing David!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users