#1 Gary D

Gary D

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:05 AM

Edit by Ye Olde Admin:  In his HELLO post, Gary noted an interest in Parker pens.  The Parker question has been split from the original thread for fresh consideration in the Parker Forum.

Hey David;

I have a five and dime pen - a Keko!  However, I would be interested in starting a collection that can tell a story about the history of Fountain Pens.  I don't know why but I'm not a big fan of Parker.  Any suggestions?

Gary

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hi Gary,

Parker made a huge range of series during the last 120 years or so, and many of those series each offer a huge range of variants/models.

We probably are overdue for for a thread modified from one of the "How to start collecting old pens" articles that some of us have written over the years.

Over time, key is to learn  to grade old pens, to watch for key problems, and to know basic pricing, among other things. These admittedly are barriers to entry that are lower for modern pens. Still, old pens offer IMO greater satisfaction to collect, and in terms of rarity and cachet often offer more pen for fewer bucks, though not always.

Regarding Parker and recognizing my core  focus on 1920's-1950's pens, I would suggest hunting initially:

• Parker original (Flat Top  or Streamlined Flat Top) Duofold
  • Parker Vacumatic
  • Parker "51"
  • Parker 75

These will provide you the top-spot Parkers pretty well from 1920-1990 or so (or whenever 75 gave up the ghost)

Generally, larger models outvalue smaller. Certain colors and patterns have increased cachet and/or rarity (those two things not being the same).

If one is not hung up on oversized models or rare colors/patterns most of these can be had quite affordable with retail, restored, guaranteed pens probably starting around $100. More rough, raw versions for some of these can be had on ebay as low as $30 or so with parts mostly intact.

Each of these pens is a door to an entire Parker era.  Other pens from the same time can be found.

This is, of course, tip of the ol' iceberg.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

A few images

Parker Vacumatic

pen3213sm.jpg

Parker Duofold

pen2594sm.jpg

Parker 75

pen3360sm.jpg

Parker 51

pen2789sm.jpg

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Idazle

Idazle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMadrid (Spain) and Donostia (Euskal Herria)

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hello Gary,

I like your idea of starting a collection that can tell the story about the history of fountain pens. As for me, if my own experience is of any use, I would add that the collection should also tell a story about my own life. On top of that, what I demand from pens, either vintage or modern, is that they write well. I don't collect pens that are useless as writers. It doesn't have any sense to me.

Taking all that into account, my collection does not include a single brand, but a few of them, mainly Sheaffer, Waterman, Montblanc ... and Parker!!! I've put Parker in bold because, from all the brands mentioned, for me only Parker does fullfill all criteria at the same time. Therefore I have Sheaffer pens from the 1960s (the PFM and the so called "Imperial" line) as I was born in 1960 and they are representative of a period when fountain pens had to be re-invented to compete with ballpoint pens. I have also acquired Waterman pens from the early 1980s, like the LeMan 100, as they were the pens I would have liked to buy when I was at College -but couldn't afford- and, at the same time, they were representative of the rennaisance of fountain pens driven by Wall Street boom and the emergence of the "yuppies" . More recently I've fallen in love with vintage piston filler Montblanc pens from 1935-1955 because apart from being superb writers they are a methafore of the rise, fall and rebird of Germany before, during and after WWII, and a symbol of German engineering. But as for Parker ... I have found reasons to have Parker pens from all periods from 1926 to 1988!!!

As I started collecting pens I felt I had to own an iconic Parker Senior Duofold from the 1920s as they were referred to in an article I read in a train from San Sebastian to Madrid which arouse my interest for vintage fountain pens. A black Senior Duofolf and then the more representative orange one were my first acquisitions for my historically-informed collection. Then I went for the pen my dad used when I was a little boy and that fascinated me, particularly because I was forbiden to touch it ;-): a Parker 51. When I tried one at a shop in Madrid I was also deligthed at the way it wrote, and that was my second acquisition. Then I re-discovered the silver made cross-hatched Parker 75. I remember these pens from the time when I was a youngster, though I must confess I was not very much attracted by their look then. I am now. They have a superb design and are extremely comfortable to use. The fact that they are made of solid sterling silver also appeals to me. I have bagged myself a 1st year edition (1964) exemplar which writes smoothly and wonderfully. Then I discovered the Parker Vacumatic, which has no connection with my own personal experiences true, but they are such wonderful pens and were such a landmark in the history of pens. I think we can hardly imagine what people could think of these pens when they were launched in 1933 ... that they were pens from another world I guess!!! I have also included an under-rated 1967 Parker 45 in my collection. These were pens I received as a gift when I was a boy. Maybe they are dissaponting for die-hard vintage pen collector who are mainly attracted by top quality materials and complex filling systems, but they have a nice design and attacked a niche in the sixties and seventies, students who were also the target of ballpoint pens. And finally, my last acquisition, which has not yet arrived to my hands, is a Parker Duofold Centennial, collector's edition, from 1988, the first year of production.

As you see, by contrast with other brands, with Parker I've found reasons to acquire pens ranging from 1926 to 1988 ;-)

Sorry for the long post. 

Best

Carlos

Edited by Idazle, 29 December 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#5 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm a Parker fan myself, although my collection stops at the new Duofold--i think it's the last of the classics. I collect mostly Vacs and Duofolds, along with a few token 51s.

People will tell you about a "slippery slope"; don't pay them too much heed--just get the pens you want and don't worry about... Whoops!
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#6 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Parkers....well, I have to admit I like them too, and I have a few,

Duofold Senior, all colors and matching pencils

One vacumatic

Three wartime Duofolds

Two Victories

Two 21

One 41

Seven 45, in different colors with matching pencils or ballpens.

Three 51.....

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

One thing I would suggest is to learn to do simple repairs - polishing, sac replacement, etc.  This will save you a bit of money and provide a lot of satisfaction.  That is one reason I started with vintage Parkers.  They came apart easily, and you could basically disassemble the whole pen by just screwing apart the pieces.  Later on, however, the vacumatic filling system is a little tricky to repair, and you need a few special tools.  Parker Duofolds from the 20's are a good place to start.

I would also suggest Waterman's.  These pens stuck with a lever filling system longer than most - making them easy to repair.  Waterman always stuck with things longer than most other manufacturers - hard rubber, lever filling, etc.  These are easy to work on and come in a variety of sizes and models - including many beautiful overlays.  I think it is a good idea to try to round out mini-collections, such as trying to get all colors of a certain model. 

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think it is a good idea to try to round out mini-collections, such as trying to get all colors of a certain model.

I think, this is a great advice: I just love mini-collections, or sub-collections as I call them. I also like to photograph them as a group.
Here my Duofolds:

6992219787_0d9e0b5208_b.jpg

And here my Gray Vacumatics:

7453177176_385c3d98bb_b.jpg

And a range of "51"

7194192604_20d9787a2a_b.jpg

Parkers in the same color...and so on...

10593555666_9a793502df_b.jpg

...these are no Parkers, but one of my favourite, sub-collections

11631107363_110e254729_b.jpg

Christof

Edited by Christof Z, 29 December 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#9 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Great pictures Christof!

You are missing this one in the Duofold line up  ;)

226475995_o.jpg

I started collecting all that I could grab, later I define better my focus and decided I would restrict myself and keep only the models I really enjoyed so I decide to keep the Duofolds, the Vacumatic, the Balances from US.

For Europen pens it was ( still is) harder to focus, especially regarding MB and Pelikan, so I decided to keep pens  only untill 1960, but not restrict the collection to certain models.

Recently I also turned my head to French pens and Edacoto and Stylomine are now in my range also.... 

Edited by piscov, 29 December 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Ohhhh, you gents *don't* want to get me started on mini collections ;)

I am fond of that concept. Still, I suspect that for someone brand new to old pens, allowing for some diversity prior to indulging in hyper focus probably is safer

regards

-d

Posted Image

#11 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Great pictures Christof!

226475995_o.jpg

Now THIS is a Duofold. Great pen Vasco! Thanks for showing.
...well, I am missing a lot..

Christof

#12 Idazle

Idazle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

I am fond of that concept. Still, I suspect that for someone brand new to old pens, allowing for some diversity prior to indulging in hyper focus probably is safer

regards

-d

Oh yes, but you have to let male geeks to show off their collections  ;)

Edited by Idazle, 31 December 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#13 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

-d

...of course we want David!

Christof

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

regards

-d

Oh yes, but you have to let male geeks to show up their collections  ;)

No worries, I am one of 'em no doubt  :)

-d

Posted Image

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

Mini collections. perhaps we are due for a thread on the subject, pinned if enough collections are offered.

regards

David

Posted Image

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Great pictures Christof!

I started collecting all that I could grab, later I define better my focus and decided I would restrict myself and keep only the models I really enjoyed so I decide to keep the Duofolds, the Vacumatic, the Balances from US.

For Europen pens it was ( still is) harder to focus, especially regarding MB and Pelikan, so I decided to keep pens  only untill 1960, but not restrict the collection to certain models.

Recently I also turned my head to French pens and Edacoto and Stylomine are now in my range also.... 

That's a terrific Lapis Duofold Vasco,

Of course other colors remain to be shown:  Burgundy, Jade, "Seafoam" Green, Moderne Green-and-Pearl, and so forth.

regards

d

Posted Image

#17 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

Mini collections. perhaps we are due for a thread on the subject, pinned if enough collections are offered.

regards

David

Yes, please. Let's do this. Who will start?

Christof

#18 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

David and Christof,

Both of you have great collection and take the best pictures I´ve seen, so one you you should star it. Lets do it.

Just need to clarify if in progress mini collections also qualify to post or not?

Edited by piscov, 29 December 2013 - 08:27 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#19 Idazle

Idazle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

regards

David

I volunteer to start a thread on Sheaffer's minicollections. My Parker collection is diverse :-)

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

My big request to all you new-to-FPB members is not to forget us once FPN is back online and you have your usual stomping grounds back.

I know we're a smaller board, but we have a nice focus on old pens.  We do need material contributed (that includes of course your questions) to continue.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users