72 replies to this topic

#61 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

Gary, just as an aside, rereading your initial note about Parker (which we split from your Hello thread), did you actually say you  don't want to collect Parker?  I think I misread and then hit you with all this Parker stuff.

Was this all for naught?  ;)

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#62 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

Gary, just as an aside, rereading your initial note about Parker (which we split from your Hello thread), did you actually say you  don't want to collect Parker?  I think I misread and then hit you with all this Parker stuff.

regards

d

If we have not converted him, the effort has been valiant.

#63 Brian Cole

Brian Cole

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationKingman, Arizona

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

regards

d

Well, I've been following it. I do want to start a Parker collection.

#64 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

regards

d

Honestly, that's the way I read it - which is why I recommended Waterman.

Of course, I also mentioned that I started with Parker Duofolds, and that is a good way to go.

Edited by Procyon, 31 December 2013 - 05:36 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#65 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I like the Parker 45's ... for me they are a good place to start a collection, plenty of variety, plenty of them around, easy to fix and not too expensive. I think it also helps that I was dragged though my school years owning a variety of them so I have a natural soft spot for them. As has been said, they don't have the prestige of some of the other pens but they are fun ...

Out of interest are you the same Harlequin that's a mod on the FPN? BTW it's not an issue with me, just wondering...oh!! Welcome!!

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#66 AeRoberto

AeRoberto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

There have been counterfeit Duofolds, mostly Mandarins and bandless orange pens, plus fake 51s again in the rarer colors and as clear demonstrators. You can read more about it here: http://vintagepensbl...rch/label/fakes

Thanks David, I completely forgot about that fakes.

#67 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

I like the Parker 45's ... for me they are a good place to start a collection, plenty of variety, plenty of them around, easy to fix and not too expensive. I think it also helps that I was dragged though my school years owning a variety of them so I have a natural soft spot for them. As has been said, they don't have the prestige of some of the other pens but they are fun ...

Out of interest are you the same Harlequin that's a mod on the FPN? BTW it's not an issue with me, just wondering...oh!! Welcome!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh,
That board still around? Heard there were troubles of various sorts.
Todd

#68 Gary D

Gary D

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

regards

d

lol What  I said was that I am not a big fan of Parker.  However, the reason I stated that was the style of the 51 hood doesn't appeal to me.  This is probably basic information for you all but I didn't know that the Parker 51 is named as such because it was introduced in Parker's 51st year.  What I didn't realize is the variety of pens that Parker produced.  That said, if I were to collect Parker it would either be the Vacumatic or Duofold.

So, I've been converted - and who couldn't like Parker pens, the founders are such nice people!  The Great Grandson has co-authored a book - has anyone read it?  Any recommendations for books on Collecting Parker. 

Gary

#69 Idazle

Idazle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMadrid (Spain) and Donostia (Euskal Herria)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

So, I've been converted - and who couldn't like Parker pens, the founders are such nice people!  The Great Grandson has co-authored a book - has anyone read it?  Any recommendations for books on Collecting Parker. 

Gary

You already had one: the Shepperd and Zazove's book on Duofold (old and news), which is now on my working table along with my black Duofolds. See below:

gallery_80555_350_27208.jpg

But I would also consider a more generalist book, such as Andrea Lambrou's Fountain Pens of the World. Apart from being a very beautiful book, it can open your mind to vintage pens other than Parker.

#70 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

One thing I've learned over the last few months - I've only been actively gathering fountain pens since March this year - is that pens can be sold on pretty easily. So if you buy some pens and you realise you don't like them, it's not necessarily money down the drain.

Also, flea markets are always worth a rummage!

My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#71 CaptiveLight

CaptiveLight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Regards
Hugh
Hugh,
Todd

Lol ... no, I'm not the same person!

Harlequins.jpg

#72 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Regards
Hugh
Hugh,
Todd

Lol ... no, I'm not the same person!

LOL I was tinking the same :).  Maybe a name change would be advisable.... that name will be hot for long time :D . Welcome here and please consider posting in the "say hello" sub forum and present yourself to us! Have fun here

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#73 Gary D

Gary D

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Gary

You already had one: the Shepperd and Zazove's book on Duofold (old and news), which is now on my working table along with my black Duofolds. See below:

gallery_80555_350_27208.jpg

But I would also consider a more generalist book, such as Andrea Lambrou's Fountain Pens of the World. Apart from being a very beautiful book, it can open your mind to vintage pens other than Parker.

I must have missed that recommendation.  Nibs.com has Fountain Pens of the World - I'll place an order with them for that book this week.  I can't find the Shepperd and Zazove's book anywhere though, I'll keep my eye open for that.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users