#1 BMG

BMG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Nothing rare or exceptional, just a nice, clean Sheaffer Lifetime Balance:

SM9fgbg.jpg

I've got to get used to the filling system, but really like the nib, look, and feel of the pen. Also, I am one of the apparently few who actually prefer little to no flex in a nib. :)

#2 Gary D

Gary D

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Nice and classy looking - when were these produced?

Gary

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hi Gary,

Balance ran roughly 1929~ 1941, ads starting in 1929, some hints a year earlier, last catalogue dated 1941, replacement Triumph dated 1942, probably some Balance models trickling into early 1940's still.  Striped plastic was intro'd in the USA in 1936 in limited colors and expanded to dominate the line in 1937, continuing through the end of the run and into the next family of pens, the 1940's Triumph.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Gary D

Gary D

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

I like the look of the Balance - I don't particularily like the Shaeffer's that have the nib in a sort of sleeve.  

Gary

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

Aesthetics of course are subjective, but the Balance is one of the iconic old pens, no doubt. It is the second most represented in my collection. I probably have 200+ different variants, including perhaps one of the  top 1-2  most comprehensive hoards of funky off-catalogue cap-band variants.  I've put a couple articles about Balance into PENnant Magazine.  So, I can relate to your appreciation of Balance.  They can be found at reasonable price, starting around $100 restored, retail.  Oversized excellent grade pens start at retail around $250.  I have so many freshly restored, I don't know where to start ;)   (eep, let's not mix business with hobby...)

I'll have to put the following into our fresh "mini collection" thread at some point, but  here are some Eye Candy shots.

Balance in Carmine (most shown here  having  off-catalogue or non-USA features)

sheaffer_carminespreadA1200.jpg

Ebonized Pearl Balance, a popular color  again  most in this case relatively and absolutely scarce pens mostly with off-catalogue features

sheaffer_ebonizedspreadA1200.jpg

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 Gary D

Gary D

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Your killing me here David - the Carmine is stunning and since they look nothing like what I already have my wife would immediately pick up on me having new pens. lol  

Gary

#7 Saleem ali

Saleem ali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

very very nice collection indeed ( making me jealous!) , Dr David . Absolutely wonderful. you got the "wealth" !

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hi Saleem,

You see the results of 15 years of intense collecting.  Not an easy thing...

best regards

david

Posted Image

#9 BMG

BMG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

@David – Those Ebonized Pearls are indeed lovely. Funny, it was a material that I didn't care for when I first saw it, but it has grown on me!

@Gary – I have a Tuckaway with the Triumph nib:

valiant.jpg

(This isn't mine – just an illustration found on the web.)

The nib may look unusual, but if I can judge from my own pen and offer a subjective opinion, they are really nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users