Photo

Finding a card illustrated by my uncle 25 years ago.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

An evening's reminiscence, before heading out to the  New Year's Eve party...

I've moved eight maybe ten times since leaving home for medical school. The early moves were sometimes with family, later with U-Haul, later still with the luxury service, West Side Movers in NYC, who have been up to Syracuse twice, who not only carry boxes and furniture, but while I sit and sip scotch also pack individually each glass, book... hell on one move I unwrapped on arrival a bag of garbage from the bathroom that had been well packed. Not so bad. In every move something or other has broken or suffered light damage, no matter how careful we've been-- a hobby item, electronics gear, picture frame.

So, I was charmed when unpacking yet again last month in my latest apartment to find an art card made for me when I left home for medical school in 1987. My uncle, who passed away too young, youngest in that generation of our family at 63 just two years ago, was a gifted and well known illustrator/cartoonist-- Joe Kohl (J.Kohl). He sketched the card in this photo when I headed out for school, my only work by him drawn specifically for me. It is a folded and fairly flimsy piece of sketch paper. Somehow this thing has survived 8 major and more minor moves, tossed in paper piles, hiding at bottom of boxes... unscathed save for a bit of browning at the edges.

Joe did all sorts of magazine and book cartoons, as well as illustrations for other writers. His work ranged from books for toddlers to books one must never show a child. Dad has a cartoon portrait done by him. You can find reference to his "Wacky Humor of J Kohl" on Amazon, with none in stock now. Various hospitals at which I've worked routinely lift images from his golf joke books for our annual golf outings.

I'm glad I have this sketch. Looking at it 25 years after it was done, with him gone, lends poignancy no doubt. The little kid in the image is my cousin Stephanie, who cross posts now with me here on FB time to time. Stories of Boris the Cat will wait for another day. New Years eve should be fun. Hope everyone has a nice time

unclejoe_medschool_card500a.jpg

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

The cover from his first collection, way back when

$_57.JPG

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#3 wolverine1

wolverine1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

It is great you found your late Uncle's card, David. Maybe you should get some sort of a cover for it? The kind they use to preserve archival materials in libraries.

#4 Saleem ali

Saleem ali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Dear David , personally  when I see such old things , letters and cards (not to me even!) I find a particular pleasure as the time passed tells you their real importance , people are now too busy to enjoy the art of "personalization "i.e leaving their impression by handwriting , drawing, and other form of hand designing , and of course such things harbour "happy memories". so they are enjoyable, as todays " sterile " communications are becoming devoid of human feelings .Thats my humble opinion , if not very correct!

#5 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

And that might be his only signed self portrait too? I recognized his scrawl instantly, although i confess not the name. Lovely to have, those personal mementos. Glad it has survived!

--Virginia

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Plenty of funny animals and health care jokes.

ent_phot.jpg

regards

d

Posted Image

#7 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

I laughed out loud at the Superman cartoon!.

There is a similar cartoonist in the fair state of Rhode Island wher I spent many a dayl 10  years actually, his name  is Don Bousquet, same sense of humor only directed at New Englanders.  I have 3 of his originals and treasure them

Jerry

#8 Marsilius

Marsilius

journeyman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Wonderful stuff! Ars longa, at least!

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Missed this when first posted, but what a sweet find and keep, David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users