Photo

Does this look like a Skyline to anyone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Poking through EBay, I wondered about the market price for a Skyline now. Happened to see this:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f2e4673b7

(Item 271359308727)

Looks like a Skyline cap, but the rest is an "I don't know what that might have been". Seller says that the cap is loose, which it ought to be if this is a Whatever barrel and section.

Anyone see this as a Skyline?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

It is a mix. Cap appears to be Skyline or "-ish". I cannot see details in tiny pics. There are Skyline knockoffs out there, but a mix would be more likely.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Skyline cap with a loose derby - might just be loose, but the derbies have a bad habit of shrinking, thus could be really loose. Non-Skyline barrel, just something that sorta fits.

#4 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yes, I'll grant the seller a Skyline cap, but the barrel doesn't look like a Skyline. 

When I saw my first Skyline, I thought: What an ugly barrel! Then I got one (or a dozen, to be honest) and found that the design is perfect when you post the cap. And such soft nibs! 

This looks like an ordinary semi-torpedo shaped barrel with a Skyline cap. Oh, and Skyline prices seem not to have increased, except for a few wishful sellers. A good "starter pen" for people just becoming interested in fountain pens and wondering why people insist that "vintage" pens are better than the many current-production Chinese pens. Easy to replace the Skyline sac, and not so expensive that I worried when a Skyline shattered as I cleaned it with sunshine cloth. 

Context: who knew so much about "plastic" when the Skyline was produced, and I suspect that Eversharp's design team had no idea that 70 years later people would be fiddling with Skylines. Subtract 70 years from 1940 (for simplicity) and imagine what Eversharp's engineers would have thought about a top-line dip pen from 1870!

#5 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

No

Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users