34 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Many of you know that in a bizarre twist of fate  I ended up working the home of Parker pens, Janesville WI, even while remaining based in NYC.   This week saw record cold. For 4-5 days is was colder than -13F each morning when I left the hospital for home, not counting any wind chill.

I stopped at a scenic point on the Rock River while driving home and shot couple images of the river steaming in the cold.

rockriver_janesville900b.jpg

rockriver_janesville900a.jpg

Regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

Yup.  That region can get down there, but it's usually in "snaps".  I was living just down the road in DeKalb Illinois in 1994, and that year we got down to -24F.  The next day (I think) it only got up to -14F.  I don't remember that kind of cold lasting very long, though.

#3 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

Well we were -25C and -40 with the windchill at the beginning of this week.

#4 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

Wow!  Great pictures David.  I have no concept of those kind of temperatures - and have no desire to find out about them.  ;)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#5 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Well we were -25C and -40 with the windchill at the beginning of this week.

I think it must be Canada's fault, then.  These things usually are.  ;)

#6 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Any Frostbite cases come into the hospital David?

#7 pajaro

pajaro

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

In Tecumseh, Michigan, in southern Michigan, we were in the same boat.  The worst part was the cold in my hands even with heavy gloves.  My hands hurt for half an hour after snowblowing the driveway.

#8 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I recently read about a newspaper typesetter that for got to put a space in the headline Blizzards Hit!. The headline went out BLIZZARDSHIT!

#9 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Smoke on the Water....... 

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Smoke on the Water.......

That would be one heck of a hit...

#11 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

And speaking of weather, where I am we have global warming (more properly termed climate disruption) and with temps hovering in the 60s and with 70s forecasted for next week, it seems impossible that many of you are cold.

Sunny, clear, and 65 degrees.

Edited by FarmBoy, 18 January 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

How do you know you are having global warming?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#13 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

It's science

Except "Smoke On The Water" needs a good guitar riff, you know something memorable

Jerry

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

It's politics, certainly.  "Science" of course has nothing to do with a particularly conclusion. Indeed, some of the best science involves dumping prior conclusions ;)

-d

Posted Image

#15 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

-d

I keep hearing it on the radio and because of it I am not allowed to burn anything in my grill and rare is ok but not raw.

Edited by FarmBoy, 19 January 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

-d

I keep hearing it on the radio and because of it I am not allowed to burn anything in my grill and rare is ok but not raw.

I have heard that rare meat might cure the imagined warming... ;)

Posted Image

#17 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

I heard that cattle were the problem.  Seems like eating more beef might help, though charcoal grilling it (the best way to deal with the more tender cuts, IMHO), probably offsets.  ;)

Science is frequently politicized, though realizing this doesn't help analyze things very much.  I remember talking about the possibility of global warming back in the summer of 1992 when I was a summer intern at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque.  Back then it wasn't political, I don't think, just something important to try to sort out through a mathematical modeling and statistical analysis.  I never worked in the area, unfortunately (or fortunately), so I couldn't tell you whether I thought the models were credible or not.  Unless I were to study them very seriously, I couldn't say, and I left academia in 1996, so I'm not likely to.  However, as for the pitfalls of mathematical models, I will never forget Carl Sagan saying that if Saddam torched the Kuwaiti oil fields it would lead to conditions somewhat like a "nuclear winter".  Another scientist disagreed, said that their models showed no such thing, but Carl responded that they had failed to take account of convection of the soot particles from solar heating.  Unfortunately, the experiment was actually tried.  Fortunately, Carl was wrong (and I would guess that nobody was happier about it than he).  It would seem that there is very little political will to do much about global warming, so our little experiment with virtually unbridled burning of fossil fuels is being tried as well.  Let's hope it turns out happily.

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

The only actual solution to Anthropogenic Global Warming, if there is in fact Global Warming, and if in fact Global Warming is Man Made, and if in fact the perhaps Man Made possible Global Warming in fact is bad... is not to make Algore a billionaire via a tax-n-crap scheme. The actual solution-- given that a doubling of human population in thirty years will swamp a woefully optimistic 10-20% reduction in per capita warming-- ain't a pretty one... ;)

-d

Posted Image

#19 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Remember, the "scientists" (I use that term loosely for these people) that are yelling about global warming are the same people that were screaming about a new man-made ice age coming in the 1970s, for those of us old enough to remember that. Basically, they're full of crap.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#20 Saleem ali

Saleem ali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Right this evening , i was talking to one of my colleague doctor at a dinner , somehow the topic of "global warming"  came into discussion ,and when  I told her , that its more a propaganda than fact , she was surprized ! I told her  that such topics  are started and  floated around by politicians and some media , who for the sake of promoting certain "new ( or so-called ) technolgies " , and making revenue out of it , and turn  situation unnecessarily  alarming as well as frightening . May be to divert the attention of  the public from more real issues , imposing restrictions or taxes .( Even in this era of information , rumours or false ,or un-settled issues spread fast IMHOP.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users