peecee57

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

SWAN (MABIE TODD) lever self filler -

'CALLIGRAPH PREFECT' (3130).

Tested,cleaned and working well, includes 'SWAN PEN' box.

just missed this on ebay, sold for £8 + postage. Somebody please tell me its a rubbish pen and I didn't miss a bargain!! :wacko: 

Attached Files

• Attached File  pen.bmp   255.52KB   31 downloads

#2 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Well, looks like you did...

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#3 pajaro

pajaro

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

For every bargain you miss, there will be another possibility along soon.

There are too many to grasp them all.

Yet, there are some you lament years afterwards.

#4 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

It isn't really a rubbish pen but it is a late product and not as good as the earlier pens.  At £8 + postage?  Yes, you missed a bargain but you might do better with, say, a slightly earlier pen to nearly the same spec.  Try for a 3160, that's boring black, but the colour's stable, which is more than I can say for either the grey or the blue that the 3130s had.  Sound pen, excellent nib - quite often flexible to one degree or another.

#5 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

I was also surprised at the price.

IIRC it had a replacement Phillips nib fitted, but that was probably worth the £8 alone.

#6 peecee57

peecee57

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

i literally missed bidding by 30 secs, i've been kicking myself since lol, oh well i'll just have to keep looking :)

#7 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Others will come, don´t beat yourself over that! Some you will get, others you will miss...that the life of a fountain pen collector! 

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Really I don't think you missed out that much. There is a line to avoid unless your really addicted and that's the 3170, 3171 and so on , had it been one of those you missed it would have been a bonus !! As such the one you missed runs a distant second but still second so don't feel too bad about it. Deb's suggestion is spot on, personally I'd go for a 32xx model ( the difference being a no.2 nib rather than a no. 1 ) but it'll cost more....such is life.. Overall the 3 series is one I really like and despite some colour problems ( grey especially) seem fairly problem free from a user point. A Phillips nib is a replacement from Phillips in Oxford ( iirc, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) who handled warranty/repairs and would indicate the pen had at one time an owner (may have) who studied at Oxford, most seem to consider it as a "correct" nib.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#9 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Somewhere lurking in the back of my mind, didn't Phillips take over the factory stock when it closed? In which case, as it's a late Swan, it might have been an original nib in the same way that other manufacturers used Summit pen clips after Langs closed.

#10 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

That's correct, PeterG.  I believe Phillips bought in Swan nib-making machinery in 1958 and they hired a couple of Swan employees to operate them.  In my experience most - though not all - Phillips nibs are rigid, perhaps to withstand the exuberance of students who had broken the nib the pen came with.  Phillips repaired any pens that were brought to them, and their nibs turn up in other pens too.

#11 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

reverse sumgai? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users