9 replies to this topic

#1 Crofton

Crofton

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Well I finally got around to cataloging all my Waterman C/F pens.  Almost all are US made, so no fancy French models.

I have looked around and can't find anyone who might have made an identification chart for all the different C/F models, so I started building one of my own. Most info has come from pens with original chalk marks, either ones that I own or photos from websites (and even Ebay), along with a limited number of old magazine advertisments.

The list is surely incomplete and likely wrong in some parts.  But if you are interested let me know I'm more than willing to share.

And anyone with chalk marked pen info or old catalogs - well I would be glad to add that info to the table.

Kevin

#2 Paul E

Paul E

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

I haven't seen much advertising on Waterman CF fountain pens that helps identify specific models. However, I do have a page from a catalog that provides some useful information. CFs are similar to Sheaffer Snorkels in how they just add features to the pen that make it increasingly more expensive. Also, it appears the pens came in specific colors depending on models. Here's what I found regarding Waterman's CF: Retailing at $15 (quite a bit of money in the early "50s) is the "Gold Inlay" model with 22k inlay and gold fill cap. Black barrel only.  Going down a step is the "Chrome Inlay" model with 14k gold point and gold fill cap at $12.50. This pen was available with either an all black barrel or a blue and gray (section) barrel. Next is the "Special Model" with 14k nib and polished chrome cap. This pen has no metal inlay at the nib. Pocket clip on this pen is also gold fill. This model is interesting to me because of the variety of two-tone colors available: black and gray, red and gray, and blue and gray- sort of like the two-tone Chevys and Fords of the same period. Last is the "Merido Model," the only model presented with an interesting name. It has a "metal non-corroding point" and a "satin chrome snap on cap and clip." This pen sold for $5.95. It may have been the least expensive of the group, but it, too, has very interesting color combos. Barrels were available in all black or red-and- black. I don't ever recall seeing a CF with a black-and-red barrel combination. However, I do recall plenty of Fords and Chevys in those colors. 

I think the C/F is undervalued by collectors. It is a high quality pen that must have sold well by the number of them I see today. The C/F was designed by Harley Earl so it is no wonder that there are so many parallels to the automobile, stylistically speaking.  I've loved them from the beginning and have many different models. The most expensive ones are elegant and are great writers. The two tone models are just plain cool to look at. The early cartridges are a a study in design and quality. It's a shame they don't build 'em like that any more. They are easy to refill with a syringe and the cartridges stand up to repeated fillings. It is also possible to buy or make converters for this pen. The pen continued to be made in France for decades and I certainly would advise anyone interested in the pen to pick up a few of the interesting French models as well.  

#3 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Wow! Lot's of informations about the C/F.
Now I'm curious what mine is:

9133134036_f392425710_b.jpg

Nib is 18 ct. and pen is made in France.

Christof

#4 Paul E

Paul E

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Now tell me that isn't a great looking pen! I'm guessing the French made the nib 18k so that it could fit their definition of gold.

I have no idea what names the French came up with for this pen, if any, but- mon dieu- what a great looking pen! A definite qualifier for the Black Pen Society. 

#5 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

Here are a couple ofC/F advertisements from my collection for your perusal

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

Unfortunately, they do not identify specific models.

Phil

#6 Crofton

Crofton

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the info.  If I can figure out how to post a table I will do so.....

Kevin the Ludite

#7 Crofton

Crofton

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Journyman,

Your's looks like the equivalent of a US C/F 1250.  Chrome cap, gold clip with smooth top and chrome shoulders (also called inlay, wings) on the gripping section.  I have seen an old UK ad that called this model the DeLuxe. And since it was made in France it has an 18k nib.

The French made C/Fs have a much much larger number of different models. I think this is where the high end models with gold and silver overlays were made.

Kevin 

#8 Crofton

Crofton

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

"Here are a couple ofC/F advertisements from my collection for your perusal

Unfortunately, they do not identify specific models."

Phil - THANKS!! -  the one with the photo of the "Merido Metal" nib is great info.  That pen also has the 'globe' clip.  I have a few of those.

Kevin

#9 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

You are welcome, Kevin.  An interesting sidelight is that Waterman's used this model for the base of it's third generation of the Skywriter, shown here next to a C/F ~

DSC_0012.jpg

Waterman C/F

Waterman Skywriter (Third)

Phil

Edited by philm, 01 February 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#10 Crofton

Crofton

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Finally figured out how to add a PDF file.  SO, attached is a pdf of a table I created that contain c/f model numbers and pen characteristics.   Most of this info is from chalk marks and some from old ads.  

Do NOT hesitate to tell me if something in here is incorrect!  And please add more info.  Send me corrections, additions, etc and I will add update the table.

Kevin

Here are the column titles with some explanations

Model - Model Number

Barrel Color

Barrel Section Color Combo - Barrel Color followed by section color on individual pens that I have or have seen.

Nib - 14k, SS = unmarked stainless (or something like it), some SS have either number 42 or 43 stamped on them, and ads list "merido metal" which I assume is the same as what I am calling SS

Shoulders - these are the metal inlays on the section, some folks call them inlays, others call them wings. The original patent contains the following:  "...the member 26, can be inserted in the mold and the section molded to to. At if forward end member 26 includes a yoke 27 and extending rearwardly are wings 28 united at the ends by a band 29".  So according to the patent the inlay is called a member.  I thing shoulders or wings are a bit more pc for today than the word "member".

Cap - gold or g/f both refer to gold-filled (g/f?, some of the g/f and chrome caps have vertical lines

Clip - gold means g/f

- smooth top means the top of the clip is smooth

= globe top means the top of the clip has a globe-like imprint

- some C/C pens have a closed-clip (no opening like the C/Fs) with a "Waterman USA" imprint on the clip

- some C/C pens have a closed-clip with no imprint and plastic 'jewel' at the top.

- the variations of these pen in circulation is large and there are few with chalk marks and no ads that I am aware of...

As a biologist I would like to eventually develop an Identification Key for C/F.  

Kevin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: C/F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users