#1 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hi,

just received this Vacumatic in the post.

Basically it is an oversize barrel and blind cap with a senior max cap.

The barrel threads are senior max and appear to be factory cut. An oversize cap just slips on and off.

On one side it is date coded 26 and on the other side it has a .0. date code.

Would these mods have been carried out at the factory?

om1.JPG

om2.JPG

om3.JPG

om4.JPG

om5.JPG

om6.JPG

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Paul.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Neat item. At first peek it might seem to be the first known green Overmax, but I am not quite convinced.

Couple tests, checks.

First, does  Maxima vs Oversize cap from another pen fit this barrel?

Next, doethe threads run into the barrel or is there a seam to suggest the threads were attached rather than just cut?

My plane is about to close doors (heading to LA Pen Show). Will check in later.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hi David,

All the senior Maxima caps I have (4) fit this pen, none of the (3) oversize caps I have fit. They are all too big and just slip on and off.

The barrel threads are defiantly cut into the barrel, there is no seam below the threads.

Also the section appears to be senior Maxima, an oversize section screws into the barrel but protrudes further than the barrel threads.

Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Paul.

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

I have a Duofold that has two barrel imprints from that differ by about 10 years. Your two imprints are pretty interesting. I notice that they're both USA imprints, yet the nib looks to be a Canadian nib. I realize those are easily swappable, but think it adds to the interesting nature of the pen given the two USA imprints. Sorry I can't offer more than that.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the input.

The nib is indeed Canadian, also the cap / cap band appear to be Canadian (narrow engraving cartouche).

However, the clip does have the diamond but I can find no trace of blue whatsoever (even with a high magnification loupe).

I realise all the aforementioned parts could have been swapped out at some point in time but it still leaves a question mark regarding the anomalous barrel.

Any theorys, ideas, explanations or opinions are very welcome.

Regards.

Paul.

Edited by Baz666, 19 February 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#6 FPNRLCC

FPNRLCC

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

The green celluloid on the cap seems to be of a more-yellowish tinge of the later plastics used on Vacs as compared to the bluer green on the barrel and blind cap. I'm not sure if it's just a trick of the eye but that might be something to look into. From my limited experience with Vacs, I notice that there are some differences in the patterning of earlier Vacs compared to later Vacs. The top seems to superficially match the patterns on later yellowish-green models whereas the barrel and blind cap seem to follow the pattern of earlier versions. 

Edited by FPNRLCC, 27 March 2015 - 05:58 AM.

-Raph Camposagrado

#7 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

The green celluloid on the cap seems to be of a more-yellowish tinge of the later plastics used on Vacs as compared to the bluer green on the barrel and blind cap. I'm not sure if it's just a trick of the eye but that might be something to look into. From my limited experience with Vacs, I notice that there are some differences in the patterning of earlier Vacs compared to later Vacs. The top seems to superficially match the patterns on later yellowish-green models whereas the barrel and blind cap seem to follow the pattern of earlier versions. 

Yes , I agree.

My thoughts on this pen are that the oversize cap was damaged at some time and the pen was sent back to Parker for a new cap.

Possibly the only caps available at the time in emerald pearl were senior maxima caps.

The cheapest option may have been to re-profile the section end of the barrel and re-cut the barrel threads to accommodate a senior maxima cap?

This may also explain the later 1940 date code on the barrel. Who knows?

#8 FPNRLCC

FPNRLCC

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:00 AM

Yes , I agree.

My thoughts on this pen are that the oversize cap was damaged at some time and the pen was sent back to Parker for a new cap.

Possibly the only caps available at the time in emerald pearl were senior maxima caps.

The cheapest option may have been to re-profile the section end of the barrel and re-cut the barrel threads to accommodate a senior maxima cap?

This may also explain the later 1940 date code on the barrel. Who knows?

If that were really the case, then this is very interesting. Did Parker then see itself obliged to redate the pen after the modification? That looks like a keeper for good storytelling.

From,

Raph C. 

-Raph Camposagrado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users