4 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

Perhaps some Australian members/Australian Sheaffer experts can help. I get conflicting information on this pen often. This pen was sold to me as a Sheaffer Triumph Imperial and I did get a great deal on it. The color is much darker than the picture.

Sheaffer Australia told me this is indeed a Triumph Imperial as have others but when I look up Sheaffer Imperial Triumph I see a completely different shape in the part of the nib that is inlaid into the pen. More of a straight edged triangular shape on the inner area as opposed to shorter with rounded corners like mine. Mine also has a 14k nib as opposed to the closest model I have found to mine which  is a 60s USA model on PenHero.com which has the same nib but made of steel. Was the Australian version of the Triumph Imperial the only one with this particular nib in 14k instead of steel like the USA model? Just trying to figure out exactly what I have since none of the information I have been given matches any photo of what I am told I have. Also, when was this pen in production? I am aware there are modern and vintage versions.a

EDIT- I forgot to mention that I did see one pen collector at one time on Facebook post this same pen as an Imperial IV and recently saw a US Imperial Compact 2 with this gold nib and cap in a different color. Is this a Franken pen where someone swapped out the nib and section into another barrel?

Attached Files

Edited by RayCornett, 28 February 2014 - 01:35 AM.

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

Appears to be a Triumph 550. It also appears correct, this was from the late '70's early '80's when that nib shape was used. Should be a decent pen to use as well, nice find ( I don't have one). There's this topic with some info regarding Aussie Sheaffers, by all means post a photo of your pen there to add to the topic.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#3 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

Oh it writes like a dream. I love it and can't believe the deal I got on it for basically a pristine pen with a solid gold nib once I cleaned it up a little. Thank you for your information! Upon Googling that model number I see that it matches. I see  a G.T. after the name on Google. What is the G.T. for?

Edited by RayCornett, 28 February 2014 - 04:33 AM.

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi Ray,

G.T. = Gold trim, C.T.= Chrome trim ( refers to the clip and cap band). The Sheaffer numbering and labeling is a bit hard to follow initially!! ...I'm more than happy to "try" to answer any queries as they arise, as are other members here.

There's an excellent site http://www.sheaffertarga.com/ that documents a lot of these Triumph/ Imperial models as well as Targas.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#5 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Ah so obvious I didn't see it :)
Were the GTs mainly made in Australia while the CT was made in the US or...? I have also see the nib shape used in the US but only in a late 60s pen with a nib that appeard to be steel.

Edited by RayCornett, 28 February 2014 - 10:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheaffer, Imperial, Triumph, 14k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users