1 reply to this topic

#1 patu2

patu2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm really green when it comes to fountain pen repair, but I thought this would be a good place to ask questions.

I recently acquired two Sheaffer Snorkels, one of which was described as needing new seals. I went about dismantling the pen following Richard's guide, but I cannot unscrew the feed and point holder from the section no matter how I try. The section came of the barrel without a hitch, and the point unscrewed from the holder, but even after soaking in pen flush for two nights I cannot get the nib unit to even budge. I've used both hot water (65 C / 150 F) and a hot air gun to no avail. As I understand it the gasket needs to be replaced, is there some way to do this without unscrewing the nib unit from the section?

The first time I submerged the nib unit + section in pen flush some ink escaped from where the two parts meet, so could it just be needing more soaking? Is there any other way to change the gasket seal?

I've encircled the area where I thought I saw ink escape. This is where the section should unscrew, right?

Attached File  sheaffer-nib-unit.jpg   41.72KB   0 downloads

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Yep, should unscrew there. These are generally held in place with a rosin based thread sealant or shellac and have a reasonably long thread. The secret is getting the heat to the sealant and this sometimes takes patience ...too much heat melts the plastic and that's bad !!....so heat above the plain collar until it's  fairly warm to the touch then try to unscrew...if nothing heat again....and again...eventually enough heat will get through to the sealant and it'll release. There's no other way to the gasket, a long soak may also work but I've always used heat.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, snorkel, feed, repair, section, stuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users