Photo

Interesting find: Pelikan 120 Merz und Krell - striated green barrel, new variation, prototype barrel?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hello all,

This is a very interesting find for me and I have never seen this pen variation before.

Please note that cap and barrel were bougth in diferent ocasions to diferent sellers!!

Recently I bought a barrel on ebay that was advertised has a Pelikan 120 or possible 400 barrel. Although very suspicious about the authenticity I decide to take a chance and go for it. It ended up relatively cheap around 40USD and I was fortunate to won that auction.

At first glance I had never seen that barrel anywhere, but at the same time it looked like a Pelikan 120 green Merz und Krell barrel but with a big striated inkwindow.

Yesterday I received it and after some closer inspection it turns out to be indeed a Pelikan M&K 120 barrel. I had a cap for the Pelikan 120 M&K pen that I had acquired some time ago in  bulk parts buy and tried it on and it fits perfectly.

I also have a Pelikan 400NN M&K and so I took the nib unit and tried it on the barrel and it also fits perfectly. It is worth to say that parts from regular Pelikan 120 are not interchangeable with this later 120 M&K production. All threads are different ( cap, barrel, nib unit)

The color green in this barrel  is different from the regular Pelikan 120 Green and is exactly the same as the Pelikan 120 M&K green I have seen before. The green in this striated inkwindow is a perfect match to the rest of the green found in the barrel.

Also, this barrel is perfectly built  and too perfect to be machined, It is an industrial production, I believe, and with molded parts, not machined parts, not something that a person would produce to have a " false prototype". Also the price of 40USD I paid for it would take any interest in taking the time to produce it.

So I do believe this is an original Pelikan 120 M&K production barrel, It has the shape, the color, the threads and mechanism I know from the regular green with short green inkwindow but it is a long striated inkwindow barrel and a new variation to me!

My questions ire:

Has any one ever seen this barrel? I only seen the green with short green inkwindow and black with short green inkwindow 

Can anyone point me to a similar barrel pen?

Here is a link to FPN where a member there shows his pen. I have used it to compare and my barrel is a perfect match.

Here are the pictures along side with a Pelikan 120 and a Pelikan 400 M&K.

The Pelikan 120 Merz un Krell with striated long inkwindow

IMG_0236_zpsc6e82390.jpg

IMG_0237_zps4f075ccb.jpg

Fitted with the regular Pelikan 120 nib

IMG_0238_zps9449345e.jpg

Side by side with a Pelikan M&K 400NN: Notice the different nib unit threads when compared to the earlier Pelikan 120 production. Also barrel are identicle except the section part. Mechanism looks to be the same ( I did not pen any of the pens)

IMG_0232_zpsa35ed4da.jpg

Side by side with Regular Pelikan 120 ( 400NN M&K nib unit installed)

IMG_0231_zpsce4a23f8.jpg

Notice the color difference between the two 120 versions

IMG_0229_zps05d51df2.jpg

Using Flash

IMG_0225_zps7a720db9.jpg

Edited by piscov, 27 March 2014 - 02:58 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hi Piscov,

That looks like a very interesting find indeed! You already made good comparisons in respect to the 400 M&K and the nibs that are not interchangeable indeed. I posted the pictures of the black 120 M&K to which you refer to and your pen looks identical to that 120 M&K. But I have never seen a 120 M&K in this colour setting before.

The pen with combined cap plus barrel looks a little odd though.

Apart from the brief mentioning in the Pelikan book, I do not have much information about Merz & Krell. It was my belief that Merz & Krell made replicas of 1950s Pelikan 120 and 400 pens. I have no idea whether Merz & Krell also developed new designs at that time. In this respect, it should be noticed that Pelikan never made a black 120 while Merz & Krell did. So maybe Merz & Krell was playing around with new designs for their 120 models.

Is it possible to inquire with the seller on the origin of the barrel? If the barrel came to you without cap or nib, it might be a unique sample that was not meant to leave the factory. You might also contact Martin Lehmann to ask his opinion (www.pelikan-guide.com/) about this intriguing pen.

Congratulations with this great find!

regards,

Jos

Edited by Jos, 27 March 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#3 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi Jos,

Thanks for your comments, and thank you for your FPN post, I did not noticed it was yours when I made the reference, hope yu dont mind, but was the best I found with all the pen dissembled.

For what I know, M&K produce Pelikan pens pens during the 70´s by order of Pelikan. They were not replicas, they were officially ordered by Pelikan, I would say M&K was a subcontractor for Pelikan. This are original Pelikans, just outsourced  ^_^

Here is a reference of that production agreement in  Mr. Ruettinger website. 

Merz und Krell produced at least the 400NN, the 120 pens for Pelikan over that period from what I know.

I will ask the seller where he got the barrel from, lets see if he can help on this. This barrel arrived to me without cap nor nib unit.

Regarding looks, I don't find it that odd, I actually like it. The ink window reminds me of the MB 146 long ink window. When I put the Pelikan 400NN M&K cap on that barrel the pen looks much more stylish to me. This 120 cap is not that nice looking IMHO when compared to the 400NN one.

By the way, the barrel has traces of ink, so it was used.

Best

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 27 March 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

#4 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

As too looks, I don't find it that odd, I actually like it. The ink window reminds me of the MB 146 long ink window. When I put the Pelikan 400NN M&K cap on that barrel the pen looks much more stylish to me. This 120 cap is not that nice looking IMHO when compared to the 400NN one.

No problem for referring to my pictures of the black 120 M&K of course.

Following your opinion that the barrel looks better with the 400 M&K cap: is the striated barrel of similar length as that of your black 400NN M&K? Possibly, the barrel was meant for a 400 model then? But as you also comment, the section style is typical for the 120 M&K.

I will have to check the exact length of the barrel of my black 120 M&K but the overall length of the complete pen with the cap in place is 13,2 cm. The original 1950s Pelikan 120 is 12,6 cm long so next to the different threads, also the length of the 120 Merz & Krell is different compared to its 1950s brother.  

#5 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi Jos,

Both barrel I have are roughly 10cm long ( they differ by 0,5mm only) and the same girth of 11mm.

Due to the section I would say this is a 120 prototype barrel, to test colors and ink windows patterns maybe... 

Overall length with the 120 M&Kl cap is also like yours ( 13,2cm). Pelikan 400NN M&K is shorter by 2mm.

You are correct the Pelikan 120M&K is longer that the earlier Pelikan 120.

Best

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 27 March 2014 - 10:55 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

#6 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

In the picture with the nib units installed, the 120 with the long striated window has a nib that looks like a 14K nib.  It isn't the normal M&K 120 nib.  M&K 120 nibs were gold plated and did not have the chevorn stripes. If the picture showing the back is the feed for the one the 120, that feed is not standard for the M&K 120 either.

Edited by Norm, 29 March 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#7 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

There is a possibility it could have been a repair.  The middle M&K 120 in this picture has a barrel and ink window  attached to the section that apparently don't belong.  There is a faint impression on the barrel that says Universal. The window is not the same color either.

DSCN1348_zps29494865.jpg

Edited by Norm, 29 March 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#8 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

In the picture with the nib units installed, the 120 with the long striated window has a nib that looks like a 14K nib.  It isn't the normal M&K 120 nib.  M&K 120 nibs were gold plated. If the picture showing the back is the feed is for the one with the striated window, that feed is not standard for the M&K 120 either.

The 14Kt/feed /collar (feed (unit) is from my 400NN. I dont have any 120 M&K nib unit, That is actually referred in the picture you refer.

I´ve tried the 400NN to see if it fits and it is a perfect fit.

Best regards
Vasco

#9 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

There is a possibility it could have been a repair.  The middle M&K 120 in this picture has a barrel and ink window  attached to the section that apparently don't belong.  There is a faint impression on the barrel that says Universal. The window is not the same color either.

DSCN1348_zps29494865.jpg

Hi Norm

Your middle barrel has a wider thread area, mine is  exactly the same as my 400NN ( the one I can compare to) and there is no traces at all of any seam or glue process.

Do you have a spare Nib unit you could sell me?

Best regards

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 29 March 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

#10 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Sorry, I don't have an extra nib. I already sold the extra one. 

#11 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

A kind pen friend send this thread link to Mr. Werner Ruettinger, co-author of the Pelikan Schreibgeräte -Writing_Instruments 1929-2004, who consulted with Mr Jurgen Dittmer ( also Co-author of the previously mentioned Pelikan book) and they say that this pen is a completely unknown model to both of them and that they consider it to be an original Merz&Krell and most probably a  prototype or test series
Mr. Werner Ruettinger allowed me to mention him as the source of this confirmation in this post and I am grateful to both experts and to my friend.

Interesting find I got, I believe!! Now I need a proper nib and feed to have the prototype working!!

Best regards
Vasco

#12 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Congratulation on a great find.  You may have to get a regular 120 pen and harvest the nib.  I think the nibs alone are very difficult to find. 

#13 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

I spoke too soon.  There is one listed on ebay right now.  http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e893b673c

#14 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Norm!! Unfortunately the guy only ships to the US... and I´m from Portugal

Edited by piscov, 31 March 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

#15 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Do you want me to bid on it for you?

#16 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

Thanks Norm, I appreciate the offer! But no need, with shipping and custom taxes it would be expensive. I will try to buy a full pen with a better cap than mine ( trims are not perfect) here in Europe.

Best regards
Vasco

#17 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

OK

#18 stez

stez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

I believe what you have is a Senator/Pelikan frankenpen.
Merz & Krell, aka, Senator, had their own line of pens. The body was the same one used for the M & K made Pelikan 120.
The differences were in body finishes, such as in various marbled colors, or stripes like yours. The other main difference was in the cap. The M & K cap had the same cap body, but had a shorter, rounder, less pointed dome. And the cap lip trim was rounded, not beveled like for the 120.
I have one with gold marbling. It's marked as a Senator 721. It takes the same nibs as the 120 and the caps are interchangeable.
Regards,
stez

#19 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

I believe what you have is a Senator/Pelikan frankenpen.
Merz & Krell, aka, Senator, had their own line of pens. The body was the same one used for the M & K made Pelikan 120.
The differences were in body finishes, such as in various marbled colors, or stripes like yours. The other main difference was in the cap. The M & K cap had the same cap body, but had a shorter, rounder, less pointed dome. And the cap lip trim was rounded, not beveled like for the 120.
I have one with gold marbling. It's marked as a Senator 721. It takes the same nibs as the 120 and the caps are interchangeable.
Regards,
stez

You make an interesting comment here. Do you happen to have pictures of the Senator 721 next to the M&K 120?

I quickly checked some web pictures and it appears that the piston mechanism of the Senator 721 slightly differs from that of the Merz & Krell 120 (the blind cap of the Senator unscrews to reveal a twist button that activates the piston while twisting the 'blind cap' of the M&K 120 directly activates the piston). Are the piston mechanisms of the Senator 721 and Pelikan M&K 120 also interchangeable?

#20 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

I believe Stez is correct, thanks!!

I've discussed this with Dominic recently after finding out this pen at Uberpens,

It is a Senator barrel that is exactly the same size as a 120 MK because MK was the owner of the Senator brand. They probably used the same molds to make tis senator. Bottom line, it´s not a Pelikan pen.

Just not sure what Senator model it belongs too. My barrel does not have any engravings with any number or model name. Can you post pictures of yours?

Looks nice with Pelikan cap but it´s not a prototype it´s a frankenpen :). There goes the only prototype in my collection :(

Best regards
Vasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users