8 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

For those who like to do research from primary sources, perhaps listings of Sheaffer patents would be useful. I'll offer a few now, more to follow. Readers are welcome to add more. I can incorporate those into the core post.

regads

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wow! There's a wealth of information there. Thanks, David.

#3 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

The next installment of my patent book documents 84 utility and design patents assigned to Sheaffer between 1911 and 1945, in addition to 9 others that were issued to Walter or Craig but not formally assigned to the company.  And don't forget patents assigned to the Pen Desk Set Co., a cooperative venture between major pen manufacturers, several of which originated from Sheaffer employees such as William Cuthbert (one of the designers of the Balance) - not "Sheaffer" patents per se.

Dates above apparently reflect the application date rather than issue date.  The 1919 pencil patent cited, for example, wasn't issued until 1921 - and it was for the flexible tip, not the entire mechanism.  The 1945 clip patent wasn't issued until 1949.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

It's all good. With luck, we'll soon have about that many here for.... no cost.  And of course, the dates will be tweaked.  The OP is just laying groundwork for a comprehensive free offering.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

I did not say that I wouldn't contribute the data I have gathered ... all I would ask in return is for a long overdue public apology and a promise that in the future you will refrain from personal attacks against me.

Do we have a deal?

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

I did not say that I wouldn't contribute the data I have gathered ... all I would ask in return is for a long overdue public apology and a promise that in the future you will refrain from personal attacks against me.

Do we have a deal?

Weird, you seem to be imagining a non-existent conversation. No one in this discussion made any comments about what you would do or should do with your data, and I would note there is no deal in play for what you do with your data here.  It's your data. Do what you want with it. I do what I want with my data, after all.

Posted Image

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Anybody can Google search patents so I don't see the point.

Roger W.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hi Roger,

Anyone can Google "Parker Vacumatic", but most don't collect them as effectively as do I ;)

Anyone can peruse ebay auctions for a couple years to look at Sheaffer adverts.

There is, of course, something good to be said for collation of data to present to those less inclined to collate or to hunt data, for those of us (you certainly fall into this category) who like to teach.

Or, as has been said, every pearl starts with an irritating grain of sand. And, I am that irritating grain of sand. Although, sometimes instead of a  pearl one ends up just with a larger and still irritating grain of sand.

Patent collections are old news. I believe other pen boards have hosted some, and we've had at least one book out there collecting them.

Internet storage and bandwidth is remarkably cheap. Having a list of Patents for various pen brands/themes provides easy access ot those who might wish to look a these things, just as a page of Vacumatic models hosted by Tony or a page of Sheaffer ads hosted by you serves a good purpose.

With a list, many people will find things at which to look which they might not even have imagined exist.

It seems a reasonable thing to offer here.

So... if you have a few or a few dozen found in your own research of early Sheaffer, Boston, Wahl, and you are inclined to share, please do so. I can add them to the opening post, which will--i hope-- evolve. These will become pinned threads within the various brand fora.

regards

David

Posted Image

#9 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

Thank you David! 

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com