8 replies to this topic

#1 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...T#ht_500wt_1156

I won this pencil on ebay, however I am not sure what series of conklin pens this would belong to, or what color it is. Does anyone have information on the pencil?

Regards, W.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:29 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...T#ht_500wt_1156

I won this pencil on ebay, however I am not sure what series of conklin pens this would belong to, or what color it is. Does anyone have information on the pencil?

Regards, W.

Hi Jiffy.

Not sure. It doesn't match any obvious high line or economy line pen of which I'm aware from late 1920's-1930's. The color yells, "Moore" more than "Conklin" though clearly it has Conklin markings. Not sure I've seen that clip on Conklin. While I have a bunch of Conklin pens and literature, I don't follow that series so closely. Noting that Parker at Sheaffer at various times featured some low-line pencils that did not match any pens, it is possible this is part of a dedicated pencil line that does not reflect a well-known pen.

If have chance, will post screen grab (unless you can) next couple days. Bit busy tonight.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:36 AM

I too thought it resemble a "moore" a Mabie Todd "Swallow", how do you screen grab?

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

I too thought it resemble a "moore" a Mabie Todd "Swallow", how do you screen grab?

A skill all pen fans should learn. If your computer does not already come with program such as "Grab", a google search for "free screen grab program" should give results. Usually a pretty simple program. Load a window (eg. Ebay auction blow-up). Activate the grab program which usually will ask you to click on window of interest. That window then is saved or recordable as a Tiff or JPG. If Tiff form, most image programs can resave as compressed JPG. The JPG can be loaded to any photo host including the free GALLERY at FPB, then linked to from a post.

Granted practice helps, but for me takes less time to grab, save as JPG, upload and plop into thread, than it did to write this note.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:59 AM

Well, that shape is seen in the 1930 catalog , the colour isn't one I'm familiar with neither is the clip but I'm not "up to speed" with pencils. My feeling is the clip is a replacement as Conklin always seemed to imprint their clips, of course it may not have had a clip to start with and this simply added later. As such I'd simply refer to it as "Toledo" pencil and most likely placed below the top lines where some "fancy" colours where used.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

A skill all pen fans should learn. If your computer does not already come with program such as "Grab", a google search for "free screen grab program" should give results. Usually a pretty simple program. Load a window (eg. Ebay auction blow-up). Activate the grab program which usually will ask you to click on window of interest. That window then is saved or recordable as a Tiff or JPG. If Tiff form, most image programs can resave as compressed JPG. The JPG can be loaded to any photo host including the free GALLERY at FPB, then linked to from a post.

Granted practice helps, but for me takes less time to grab, save as JPG, upload and plop into thread, than it did to write this note.

regards

David

how does that compare with a right click on one of the pictures in the auction, copy, and paste into the message?

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

how does that compare with a right click on one of the pictures in the auction, copy, and paste into the message?

I would venture you done gotta picks yer poison. ;)

Right click would seem markedly faster (not that the other process takes more than 90 seconds with practice) but has the disadvantage that the image will disappear in about a month when ebay cycles through old completed ads, since this is really only an image link to ebay. The screen grab is permanent.

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 Bart

Bart

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

And, how does that compare with a plain old "Alt + PrintScreen" on your keyboard, then Paste into MSPaint?

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

And, how does that compare with a plain old "Alt + PrintScreen" on your keyboard, then Paste into MSPaint?

And thus tangents happen. Geez if it weren't for the actual pencil, this thread might fit better in "Elements of Collecting" ;)

Answer, i guess, is that "Alt + PrintScreen" might serve well, though not sure it is on my Mac. But, you essentially are on same page with me, that grabbing the image and saving it as JPG via a photo program then uploading to a host less ephemeral than ebay... is the way to go.

-d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users