8 replies to this topic

#1 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTauranga, New Zealand

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hi - I'm taking a punt that this particular forum may help me.  

What I am looking for is a point & shoot camera brand/model of around 3 years old that is great for macro shooting the finer details of a fountain pen.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Innes

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

I still use 2 Sony cameras, one probably 7+ years old, one perhaps 10 years old (7mp and 3mp respectively) with superb close-in function.

I can comment more but I am swamped the next few days. Next week will be free. Suggest visit dpreview.com   Check reviews by brand. Peek at some of the Sony's. The "T" series tend to have great close-in.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

I still use 2 Sony cameras, one probably 7+ years old, one perhaps 10 years old (7mp and 3mp respectively) with superb close-in function.

I can comment more but I am swamped the next few days. Next week will be free. Suggest visit dpreview.com   Check reviews by brand. Peek at some of the Sony's. The "T" series tend to have great close-in.

regards

d

Thanks David

When you're free if you can provide me a model number would be great

Innes

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

The T10 dates to 2006. At 8 years old it is my newer camera and has 7 mp.  My older camer actually is about 12 years old.  It's not all about pixels.

Amazon has the T10 used starting $50, new $350.  Could review specifications at dpreview.com as some of the newer ones might have similar close-in function with more MP.  MP count is limited in significance by sensor size of course.

http://www.amazon.co...er shot dsc t10

The T10 does not have the manual function of my lower MP 12 year old DSC-S70 and S70, which even today do all those flat catalogue style shots i do with fixed light set up that allows mix and match later of any pen shot at any time and place.

regards

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

The T10 dates to 2006. At 8 years old it is my newer camera and has 7 mp.  My older camer actually is about 12 years old.  It's not all about pixels.

Amazon has the T10 used starting $50, new $350.  Could review specifications at dpreview.com as some of the newer ones might have similar close-in function with more MP.  MP count is limited in significance by sensor size of course.

http://www.amazon.co...er shot dsc t10

The T10 does not have the manual function of my lower MP 12 year old DSC-S70 and S70, which even today do all those flat catalogue style shots i do with fixed light set up that allows mix and match later of any pen shot at any time and place.

regards

Thanks David - appreciate the leads

Innes

#6 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Research told me that a 1 cm macro focal length produces best macro.   So after all the brand/model comparisons I ended up with a 2 year old Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 which will have the added benefits of covering all aspects of photo opportunities.  By all accounts a great all round camera so have a couple of new pen acquisitions to photograph.

Innes

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Research told me that a 1 cm macro focal length produces best macro.   So after all the brand/model comparisons I ended up with a 2 year old Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 which will have the added benefits of covering all aspects of photo opportunities.  By all accounts a great all round camera so have a couple of new pen acquisitions to photograph.

Innes

FWIW, Innes, would you report back - maybe with some pics? - after you've tried it out? I'm in the market as well.

#8 Innes Cate

Innes Cate

journeyman

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Innes

FWIW, Innes, would you report back - maybe with some pics? - after you've tried it out? I'm in the market as well.

gallery_12729_167_1618093.jpg

I have put a couple of photos of an ONOTO THE PEN in Innes' pens Gallery.  Both these photos were taken with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 while sitting on the kitchen table with the camera settings on A1 - auto intelligent.  I selected this pen as it is navy blue which would normally look black but the camera (on fully auto) has brought the colour through.  I cannot figure out how you get more than one photo from the Gallery to an existing post.

Innes

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Copy the BBC code  line from the Options/Share in Album Page.  If you paste codes from more than one image, you will get more than one image in each post.

regards

d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users