Photo

Dating a Waterman #12 Cone Cap pen. From Vance Koven.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Fountain Pen Board now has a linked Facebook Group, simply named "Fountain Pens". with URL incorporating the FPnuts part of the Fountain Pen Board/FPnuts name.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fpnuts

Vance Koven posted a Waterman question, which I pass along here:

VANCE: This post got no love on Zoss, so I'll repeat it here:

I recently got a Waterman 12 eyedropper with thin repoussé bands, rather like what is pictured on page 18 of the Davis-Lehrer book (as received by me, it had a Sterling #3 nib—wondering if that could have been a POS substitution?). The imprint is on the cap, with the only patent dates marked being the two from 1884. Now, back then the term of a patent was 17 years from issue, so I’m wondering if that means the pen dates from 1901 at the latest, or if Waterman continued putting just its original patent dates on even after the patent had expired (which I think it shouldn’t have done, but you never know).

Any thoughts?

I  replied,

David: Hi Vance. IIR "Sterling" was the name of an actual company, one which offered some quality pens. Replacement nib no doubt, but perhaps not POS, though no doubt there are better and lesser nibs within the brand, as with most brands. I'll post your note over at Fountain Pen Board, and ping a couple serious Waterman collectors, though at least one does browse here on Fountain Pens at Facebook. I claim no expertise, though I express doubts the 1884 patent markings limits the pen to 1901 at latest. Believe I have some 5x pens (eg. Waterman 56) still with that marking, though that numbering system did not come into play until around 1917. Do people still post at Zoss?

Anyone have anything more solid to offer?

Regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

73 views and no replies? *Solid* might be key word. ;)

What the hay. I'll post just to "follow" although info. presented here is probably already well known.

Quick Review of Timeline:

Fissure or 'narrow' feed on a cone cap: 1894 - 1901

Spoon feed cone caps: 1901 - c. 1928/1929 (Robert Tefft's graph in Feb 1992 issue of Pennant is unclear when production stopped.)

Waterman installing nibs from other manufacturers:

Scroll down to, "Waterman pens with non-Waterman nibs"

http://vintagepensbl.../label/Waterman

Not much I know, but will be interesting to see if anyone chimes in with more specific info.

--Bruce

Edited by Pensee, 14 June 2014 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users