7 replies to this topic

#1 Cheshire

Cheshire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

I apologize if this sounds silly and wall of text incoming.

I've been thinking about the future of FPs. Right now, at least in the US, FPs are seen as a bit of a luxury item than actual writing tool. I understand the ball points and Bics have their advantages over ink and they tend to be much cheaper to produce and sell. This is connected to the eventual decline of FP production and use over time.

I've only been aware of FPs for a short time since 2009 and I've noticed a increase in interest of FPs for daily use compared to when I started. However, I feel that the same recommendations haven't changed since then which means Lamy Safari or Pilot Metropolitan. I noticed in the past well, there's just so much more variety for different scales and levels for the same model. I know Sheaffer sells calligraphy sets and Waterman used to sell entry-level FPs but I can't recommend many modern alternatives from the big five American companies. I know Cross is still around, but they seem to be more known for their ball points than anything else. For example, there's an odd gap between $30 to $75 FPs. I can recommend some strong contenders for the $100 and over range but most beginners probably will not be willing to spend quite that much yet.

I know the big three Japanese pen companies have released domestic and international downscale pens for their brands but they tend to be limited to C/C or require importing. I can't say much about English or Italian pens since most of my FP experience is limited. I'm glad Pelikan and Lamy have affordable variations for FPs with steel nibs. I have bought Chinese FPs but their quality tends to vary dramatically from each pen.

I like vintage pens, I enjoy reading about their different histories and filling systems. But I realize that they require a higher level of upkeep compared to modern pens. I accept that there are niche markets for custom pens by small companies or collectible FPs using rare or handmade materials which are considered a works of art. 

Yet I think in order for FPs to be relevant they should be more accessible? I'd like to see entry level FPs or at least other alternatives under $100. I mean, I'm not worried that FPs will disappear in the future but I guess I'd like FPs be around for everyday writers. 

All in all thanks for reading my long rant.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Always fun to speculate.

It might not be too long before nearly no writing by hand will be necessary. For that matter, wristwatches might be passe' what with every kid having a cell phone. Still, people collect things not currently in use. I doubt our hobbies will vanish. I don't do much with modern entry level pens so cannot comment much, save that yes there do seem to be school-pens from Asia that run < $10.  I have some nice near-modern $50 Waterman pens on my website now..

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

I recently read this (June 4, 2014) and wanted to have reasons to be enthusiastic...

http://learning.blog...type=blogs&_r=1

#4 Cheshire

Cheshire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Always fun to speculate.

It might not be too long before nearly no writing by hand will be necessary. For that matter, wristwatches might be passe' what with every kid having a cell phone. Still, people collect things not currently in use. I doubt our hobbies will vanish. I don't do much with modern entry level pens so cannot comment much, save that yes there do seem to be school-pens from Asia that run < $10.  I have some nice near-modern $50 Waterman pens on my website now..

regards

d

Hmm-- as much I like my tech, a world where regular handwriting is missing would be very different place. I guess, I kind of miss the days where you could find a broad variety of work horse pens like the Parker 51 or lower ranged Sheaffers. I have mixed feelings regards the big five American companies since they seem to mainly producing LE or collector's pens. I know even if companies decided to manufacture the P51 it'd be too costly for the average consumer. I'm glad there's still a growing interest in FPs esp. with the monthly pen shows around the country.

I recently read this (June 4, 2014) and wanted to have reasons to be enthusiastic...

http://learning.blog...type=blogs&_r=1

Thanks for the interesting article. I agree that taking regular notes do improve my learning during class compared to digital notes.

#5 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

There was an article in the Tribune about handwritng and it was rather interesting.  It is common knowledge that today children write very little if something needs to communicated by hand they print it.  Many schools have discontinued writing courses altogether.   It was thought that in the very near future that to the young handwiritng will be unreadable.  I have a few friends that still writ me a letter now and then.  Frankly I am really excited when I go to the mailbox and find a handwritten letter.  Problem is I too am subject to the ease of electronic technology for communicating.  It is fast, self correcting in many cases and importantly legible.  All of my business letters are written in MS Word never handwritten.  Time does march on and change is inevitable and usually for the better.  We will mourn the passing of writing but still cherish our pens because they are not only tools they are in many cases a statement of who we are.  A Waterman Vine engraved 452 in my pocket says a bit about me. 

Jerry

#6 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

I do believe there will always be a place for pens and pencils and the like.

With all the advantages of the digital world, we humans are fundamentally analog.

Consider the popularity of screen-based games -- yet we probably engage in more "real" sports and physical recreation than ever.

#7 Cheshire

Cheshire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

There was an article in the Tribune about handwritng and it was rather interesting.  It is common knowledge that today children write very little if something needs to communicated by hand they print it.  Many schools have discontinued writing courses altogether.   It was thought that in the very near future that to the young handwiritng will be unreadable.  I have a few friends that still writ me a letter now and then.  Frankly I am really excited when I go to the mailbox and find a handwritten letter.  Problem is I too am subject to the ease of electronic technology for communicating.  It is fast, self correcting in many cases and importantly legible.  All of my business letters are written in MS Word never handwritten.  Time does march on and change is inevitable and usually for the better.  We will mourn the passing of writing but still cherish our pens because they are not only tools they are in many cases a statement of who we are.  A Waterman Vine engraved 452 in my pocket says a bit about me. 

Jerry

I'm a fan of letters but I agree that electronic docs greatly improve the readability of my work. I didn't know they discontinued writing courses, I'm going to assume they replaced it with typing/PC classes? I do know they strongly encourage all students to submit typed work for essays and projects for assignments. True, the only thing that doesn't change is the wish that time didn't keep moving forward. I guess, it's too much to ask for a "revival" of the big five American companies. 

I do believe there will always be a place for pens and pencils and the like.

With all the advantages of the digital world, we humans are fundamentally analog.

Consider the popularity of screen-based games -- yet we probably engage in more "real" sports and physical recreation than ever.

Yes, sports continue to be popular despite all the virtual games coming out. Oddly, I still find that keeping a paper notebook is better for records because I feel like someday my PC will fail me and I'll lose all my work. 

#8 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Always fun to speculate.

regards

d

I must chime in here with regard to wristwatches David. Your gifted intuition is correct with regard to wristwatches; fewer and fewer "young" people are wearing them, for their "devices" provide the time. I have to tell you though that due to the overwhelming desire of many young people to "play" on their phones, some companies, such as the local aquarium here on the coast, require the young volunteers to wear a wrist watch, and to leave their devices in their cars. 

Greg Minuskin

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users