11 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

I have a fountain pen with the brand name "American" on the clip.American across the nib with an encircled 6 underneath that and made in usa at the bottom. It appears to be gold but there are no markings stating so. This picture is pre-polish job. I also have to straighten the nib. It is a fine/extra fine and seems to have been bent when placing it into the cap at some point.

Attached Files

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hi Ray,

There is a decent quality "All American" brand in fact a sub-brand or rebadge of the well known Conklin company. This is not that.  There were a plethora of 2nd and 3rd tier companies/labels during the 1930s. At a time when Parker Vacumatic cost $5+, Sheaffer Balance $2.75+ and even crappy Parker Parkette $1.25, many pens out there I suspect were offered even < $1.  Of course, there were small makes as good as the big boys,  and there were decent pens occasionally made by lower-tier makers.  One exception to the general paradigm was Esterbrook, which offered inexpensive pens made sans fancy metal (no gold-fill trim or gold nib), but which were rock solid and high quality.

This pen looks to be a typical 2nd/3rd tier 1930's item. Nothing wrong with that, but it is something to be considered regarding pricing. Don't buy this as if buying a Sheaffer Balance. 

Obviously, if anyone has more to offer regarding specifics, I'll be happy to hear.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

David

Less of the 'crappy' when referring to the lowly Parker Parkette.  I am, and hopefully always will be, a user.  Until a purchased my 1950's Pelikan I preferred my Parkette to the modern Pelikan I had.  It felt better in the hand, not nearly as flimsy or 'plasticy'.  As for the nib you just can't use it without smiling. 

Now I know very little about 'off catalogue' or pens with high collector cachet but I certainly know about writing.  I am a prolific letter writer, keep a journal and a diary and make copious hand written notes.

I'm starting to amass a collection of 'good looking' pens that do have a high value but invariably the best pens to use are considered of little worth.

In the job lot sent to me by a FPB member, completely free of charge, a combi turned up with the name New Banker.  An enormous pen that's as ugly as sin but what a performer and it doesn't even have a gold nib.

So have a care for us users when you are denigrating their favourite pens.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

New  Banker is a name known to many.  Both big Combos and regular fountain pens, they are not the worst quality out there :)

No offense made regarding Parkette, but quality needs be called.  Trim is very fragile. Clip not so strongly applied. Some pens have wooden inner-caps. Plated nibs often found (later on).  As with nearly anything from a feather quill on up, they can be nice writers. In their favor, they can be quite pretty. And, of course, we don't want to believe I have no fondness for them. After all, I *did* write the original  detailed collectors guide ;)

http://www.vacumania...kerparkette.htm

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

This pen was gifted to me in a 10 pen lot. So price is not an issue. I will most likely use it as a take around pen now and then. I originally replied to someone on another site giving away a Conklin Endura barrel and feed as parts and the owner said he would toss in some functioning pens and pens that need work that he no longer wanted to mess with. All were vintage, one was a Waterman Taperite Crusader. Most only need a new sac and cleaning to technically be ready to go. But some of them need body restoration which is what I will be working on. 

But this is a decent pen. I don't have the sacs in yet but I am curious to see how it performs.

Thanks for the information!

Edited by RayCornett, 19 June 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#6 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

I have been advised that Taperites are fragile creatures but I only read it after completeing my first Taperite repair.  I just finished another with no problems whatsoever and it turned out to be a 'smiley' pen so I was well pleased.  It was an added bonus cos I bought the job lot for a Sheaffer Snorkel.  Thought it was a Fern but no such luck it was a Pastel so the Taperite made up for my disappointment.

#7 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

David I bow to your experience handling these pens but mine which happens to be a deluxe has non of those problems.  Unlike a lot of Duofolds mine has no brassing not even on the ball.  The nib is a 14ct double broad with mask.  Forgot to say it's Canadian.  Perhaps they made them better there.

I will post a picture later.

#8 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have been advised that Taperites are fragile creatures but I only read it after completeing my first Taperite repair.  I just finished another with no problems whatsoever and it turned out to be a 'smiley' pen so I was well pleased.  It was an added bonus cos I bought the job lot for a Sheaffer Snorkel.  Thought it was a Fern but no such luck it was a Pastel so the Taperite made up for my disappointment.

I did see that it is advised to just leave the nib and feed and such alone because the plastic can be so fragile. I AM looking for someone who can do color anodizing to refinish the cap, though. If it is affordable.

#9 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Unfortunately, moments ago I noticed that the tip of one of the tines of the American pen is now gone. I did see what appeared to be a scratch on the top of the nib and that us where it broke off. Apparently it was a crack. Looks like I have another regrind to do. I doubt I could find the same nib as a  replacement.

#10 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ray  What's colour anodising?  I've recently acquired a 'goldy' machine and I search E Bay for brassed pens to practice on.  The problem I have at the moment is the gold solution is 24ct and is far too yellow.  I've just seen some that is for rose gold but says you can mix to get any colour from 9 ct.  I'm just deliberating if I should buy cos it's not easy.  You have to smooth down so you have no edges and it's very fiddly getting the gold on especially cap bands.  I've just finished a metal Skyline cap that was really bad and I'm quite pleased with the results.  I'll see if I saved the E Bay pics so I can do a before and after.

#11 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Well, here's the Skyline.  By no means perfect but I'm a greenhorn.

gallery_12816_182_555.jpg[/UR[URL=http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/3613-skyline-001/]gallery_12816_182_1132415.jpgL]

Edited by Widget, 20 June 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#12 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:29 AM

Maybe American Pencil Company...made Venus Velvet pencils when I was a kid. Made fountain pens in the '30s or '40s. See: 

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20e6a4490a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users