#1 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hullo,

I have been hanging about here for a while and am happy to have been accepted as a member.  I am very impressed with the knowledge, enthusiasm and feistiness I see here.

The bug got me very recently - I found a Jackdaw at a local charity shop for a fiver in February; now I have thirty pens plus a box of casualties, projects and "spares."

I need help - and this is surely the place!

Best wishes to all

Cob

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Welcome :)

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Quite a few members here from the UK.  If you have been lurking you will know they are a knowlegeable lot.  David has made a British Pens category so I hope you have a few pens to post there.

Welcome and good pen hunting.

#4 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Cob

#5 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Welcome!  Always glad to see another participant in the continuing conversation about British pens - and of course any other pens you come across.

#6 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Welcome!  Always glad to see another participant in the continuing conversation about British pens - and of course any other pens you come across.

Thank you Deb.

Absolutely: Rule Britannia I say!

Best wishes,

Cob

#7 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

...... I am very impressed with the knowledge, enthusiasm and feistiness I see here.....

No shortage of the feistiness, anyway!

Andy

#8 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

...... I am very impressed with the knowledge, enthusiasm and feistiness I see here.....

No shortage of the feistiness, anyway!

Andy

Excellent; nice to have that confirmed.

Thanks,

Cob

#9 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to the Board, Cob !

#10 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Welcome to the Board, Cob !

Thank you

Cob

#11 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

Welcome!

​You will find the folks here at the FP Board really knowledgable and very friendly, and frankly, a much more learned audience willing to help you out. This "IS" the place to grow and to know about fountain pens!

If there is something I can do for you, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#12 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Welcome!

​You will find the folks here at the FP Board really knowledgable and very friendly, and frankly, a much more learned audience willing to help you out. This "IS" the place to grow and to know about fountain pens!

If there is something I can do for you, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

Thank you Greg, for your warm welcome and generous offer - I liked the words "...to grow and learn about fountain pens."  Most heartwarming indeed.  I am  going very soon to post a piece about the sorts of things that can happen...!

Best wishes and thanks again.

Cob

#13 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Welcome :)

regards

David

David,

A question about photos - in fact two.

First why do my pictures appear in posts as thumbnails, and second why after posting a couple in a piece am I now limited to 6.62 kB?

I have seen others' postings here with series of large photographs and am puzzled.

Thanks in advance

Cob

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Hi Cob,

The uploads to posts cap at 500kb counting all images and seem to default to thumbnail.

Our GALLERY tab at top of page offers photo hosting. Some preformed Albums are present and you can open a personal Album which can hold 25MB total. With the "OPTIONS" button leading to "Share Options", you can then copy the BBC code line for your pic and paste it right into any post where it will appear as a full size image.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#15 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Hi Cob,

The uploads to posts cap at 500kb counting all images and seem to default to thumbnail.

Our GALLERY tab at top of page offers photo hosting. Some preformed Albums are present and you can open a personal Album which can hold 25MB total. With the "OPTIONS" button leading to "Share Options", you can then copy the BBC code line for your pic and paste it right into any post where it will appear as a full size image.

regards

david

Thanks David.

However, how did this poster manage these images?

Because I can no longer post anything above 6.62kB I am a bit stuck!

Rgds

Cob

#16 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

David was I think only referring to the size of images you can upload directly into topics when he spoke of the 500kb limit, which is the one you are running into.

If you set up an album within the gallery (starting from the Gallery tab), you can upload up to 25Mb to your own album, and then using the sharing feature, you can just copy the link to any picture from your album using the Share facility and paste it directly into your topic. Some time back, I did some instructions for Wardok (who posted the topic you used as an example), you can see these if you scroll down to response no. 5 in this topic http://fountainpenbo...0-bentley-pens/ they may possibly help. The key is to first get your own album established in the Gallery, unfortunately I've totally forgotten how to do this, but this might help you http://fountainpenbo...he-gallery-tab/ which is the first pinned topic in the Greetings forum.

Andy

#17 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

David was I think only referring to the size of images you can upload directly into topics when he spoke of the 500kb limit, which is the one you are running into.

If you set up an album within the gallery (starting from the Gallery tab), you can upload up to 25Mb to your own album, and then using the sharing feature, you can just copy the link to any picture from your album using the Share facility and paste it directly into your topic. Some time back, I did some instructions for Wardok (who posted the topic you used as an example), you can see these if you scroll down to response no. 5 in this topic http://fountainpenbo...0-bentley-pens/ they may possibly help. The key is to first get your own album established in the Gallery, unfortunately I've totally forgotten how to do this, but this might help you http://fountainpenbo...he-gallery-tab/ which is the first pinned topic in the Greetings forum.

Andy

Hullo,

And thank you so much for your reply.

Is the 500kB limit eternal?  I find that today (on testing here) that I am still allowed only 6.62kB!  I have started a gallery, but when I tried to post a full length picture of a pen, it showed only the middle of it!

So I was unable to complete my little tale about the Waverley "Stainless"!  And of course I do not understand how others are able to post a set of pictures such as the one I provided a link to in my earlier post - yes I get the idea of a link to the gallery, but if the gallery is cutting off the ends of my pens...!

Best wishes and thanks again

Cob

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hi Cob,

I suspect a glitch in processing. Do post your chopped image, and we can at least explore.

It is possible there is a built in pixel-count limit, as some modern cameras shoot a 5000 pixel wide image, while most screens can show just 1000 or so (overkill on camera for web), and there might be like a 1600 pixel-width cap. I'm not sure on that.  But, try to cut the image size if your images are monstrous. Huge images eat storage and do nothing for viewing, since the boardware cuts the image to fit screen anyway.

regards

d

Posted Image

#19 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

They show up chopped in gallery until you open them but when you copy and paste into forums you get all of the picture not the cropped version.  Try it and see

#20 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

Widget is quite right. The 'cropped' effect seemed to only arise with the last board software update and it confused me as well at the time.

Just to be clear, the 500kb limit and thumbnail size in posts only applies when you use the 'attach files' option to add pictures. Copying and pasting the BB code from a gallery picture as described earlier has no such restrictions.

David's point about the size of your images is pertinent as well, I usually reduce the size of pictures to about 800 pixels wide before I upload them.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users