• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amk

amk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Just managed to grab a Conklin Endura in red mottled ebonite for fourteen euros! It was sitting in some rather dodgy company at a car boot sale and I snaffled it before the no-name nasty school pens could get it into trouble :-)  Admittedly, it's got a 'warranted' nib and not the original, but is otherwise in reasonably good shape...

EXCEPT no nice red lines around the cap and barrel, just indents.

Now, the dumb question. When I see the nice pictures of this model of pen, and it has bright red lines around the barrel, is that just a chalk job? and if I get the right red crayon can I put the lines in again?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Examining old pens, the color fill in the incised lines appears to be old paint.  Plenty of restorers can touch this up, though I recommend using a subdued hue. Garish bright lines do not flatter 85 year old pens.

Also, most who pursue Conklins with gusto don't worry much about the painted lines.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

I use acrylic paint, because you can wash it off with water up until it dries.  So you can keep trying until it looks right.  I just put a tiny amount around the indentation, and then wipe it off at a 90 deg angle to the indentation.  This leaves a small amount in the groove.  I usually have to take several tries at it to get it right. If you get too much paint, it will look garish - like David says. 

I have always used straight red paint, because it is what I had at the time, but it might be a good idea to get a duller color for the proper aged look. I try to achieve that look by applying a very limited amount of paint.

gallery_6983_116_129679.jpg

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#4 amk

amk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks guys. I have a whole box full of acrylic paints, so it's just a matter of looking for a good red. It really does give a 'lift' to the pen's looks, I think.

That is a really lovely set in the photo. I never really paid much attention to Conklin, as we don't see many of them over here (you probably don't see many Bayards, Wyverns or Edacotos), but to my mind these Enduras have the same kind of sturdy good looks as Pelikan 100s - fat but not inelegant. Hope I can find a lapis one day!

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

And I believe it was Allan, right here on FPB, that brought to my attention that these are called "annular lines". Or at least I think so. It was certainly here on FPB.

Having said that, I have yet to go out and find a nice gold/yellow acrylic paint for my black/gold mottled Endura. One day...

Edited by JonSzanto, 21 June 2014 - 10:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users