#1 JB Apelbaum

JB Apelbaum

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Firstly, I must say that I have put some photographs on this topic from eBay.

Recently, a seller listed on eBay an unusual Waterman overlay which collectors often refer to as Tree Trunk.  What was especially unusual about this overlay was that it was on ripple.  I have only seen this overlap on black hard rubber.

The auction for this pen was ended.

Tree Trunk Pen

The same seller has also put up for auction an unusual Parker Duofold.  That auction is still proceeding.

Parker Duofold

My initial impression of that Parker Duofold is that it is a post production pen made using parts from a yellow and black Duofold.  That said, the Tree Trunk seems genuine so I wonder whether the Duofold is also some sort of original pen.

Barry

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

At very least I'd suggest  a degree of caution.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

Nathan Tardif made a series of replica tree trunk pens ~15 years ago. In my opinion, this pen looks like one of Tardif's pens. I would need to see more pictures to be certain, though.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, Nathan clearly marked his replica overlay pens. The fact that this overlay is on a ripple pen might be one of these features. The overlay or the butt end of the pen should also have some of Nathan's "hallmarks" or stamps on them.

Edited by George, 26 June 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#4 Penprophet

Penprophet

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

I do not believe this is a factory tree trunk--

1.  I compared the picture to two lever fill tree trunk pens---  the top of the barrel is more rounded.  Also, there is not a circular groove round the base of the cap and the top of the barrel. 

2.  I am unaware of any tree trunks oevr motled hard rubber but anything is  possible on a special order

2.  The cap looks like a modified silver cap.  The original tree trunk caps were actually silver plated over base metal.

Mark

Edited by Penprophet, 26 June 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#5 Penprophet

Penprophet

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:18 AM

I do not believe this is a factory tree trunk--

1.  Compared the picture to two lever fill ree trunks---  the top of the barrel is more rounded.  Also, there is not a circular groove round the base of the cap and the top of the barrel. 

2.  I am unaware of any tree trunks oevr motled hard rubber but anything is  possible on a special order

2.  The cap looks like a modified silver cap.  The original tree trunk caps were actually silver plated over base metal.

3.  As I recall, Nathans pen wee well done but were marked and quite a bit heavier than the factory pens

Mark

#6 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

For comparison, here is a Tardif Tree Trunk Pen ~ 

DSC_0003copy-1.jpg

Phil

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

The silver on the pen in the OP appears to have Waterman markings.

I'd still be careful.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 Penprophet

Penprophet

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Compare the pen to the one on NYCpens.com web site.  I have compared Bob Novaks' picture to three other tree trunks and they all are basically the same and all different than the one pictured over RHR.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users