• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

I am looking for more info on the Asian made pen which is shown below: it is a copy of the Parker 51 Vacumatic.

I am aware of the Hero 100 and 616, which are copies of the P51 Aerometric, but I never saw or read about an Asian copy of the P51 Vacumatic.

There are two Asian (Chinese?) characters imprinted on the cap lip (see picture 2 below). Can anybody read these characters? These characters are also reproduced on the nib, besides the designation "61° 12K" (located on the bottom of the nib where you would normally find the "RU-PL & date code" on a P51 nib).

The clip is identical to a P51 feather clip. The chrome cap has a design of groups of 4 parallel grooved lines. The clutch ring looks identical to that of the P51 but it actually consists of three separate steel rings.

The feed and breather tube look identical to that of the P51. Also the collector seems to be a good copy with the typical narrow and broad groove in the lateral direction although the top part of the collector has a slightly different design compared to the P51 original.

The dimension and thread of the hood are identical to the original P51 Vac hood, so the hood is fully interchangeable.

The blind cap is of the same length as that of the P51 Vac but it is has a slightly more rounded top and a wider opening with a different thread compared to the original (see last picture). So the blind cap is not interchangeable.

There is no date code on the pen barrel (or anywhere else).

The overall build quality of the pen is quite good although I did not remove the vacumatic filler yet so I have no info on the design of the vac filling unit. The blind cap threads on the filler however have a slightly different design compared to the original (see last picture).

Any info on this pen is much appreciated.

gallery_8278_156_264288.jpggallery_8278_156_58334.jpggallery_8278_156_58343.jpggallery_8278_156_242247.jpggallery_8278_156_477124.jpg

Edited by Jos, 01 July 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#2 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Wow, that IS a really good clone!

#3 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I rather like that.

#4 Readymade

Readymade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

Characters read "Wing Sung” (Yong3 Sheng1 in hanyupinyin). Still in business.

Check out the ad in this Chinese article. It also offers a brief history of well-known China pen brands including Wing Sung: http://www.zgsc2001.com/zp/447.html

Edited by Readymade, 03 July 2014 - 12:31 AM.

Singapore Fountain Pens Lovers - Facebook; Mailing list ; FAQ

#5 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

Characters read "Wing Sung” (Yong3 Sheng1 in hanyupinyin). Still in business.

Check out the ad in this Chinese article. It also offers a brief history of well-known China pen brands including Wing Sung: http://www.zgsc2001.com/zp/447.html

Thank you very much for the info!

I will check the net and see whether I can find more about the Wing Sung Vacumatic.

Can you by any chance read the Chinese article? If so, is there info on the period in which these pens were produced?

I am quite impressed by the build quality of the pen. If the pen had no markings on the cap and the nib, one could easily take the pen for a Parker original.

Edited by Jos, 03 July 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#6 Readymade

Readymade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

I can read the article. Am translating it in bits, whenever I can grab some spare time. Will update when I can.

Singapore Fountain Pens Lovers - Facebook; Mailing list ; FAQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users