1 reply to this topic

#1 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Fresh back from the magic of Joel Hamilton, we have this little bit of pen history. From Richard Binder's and David Nishimura's websites, we learn that Waterman produced a demonstrator of the Ink Vue for dealers. As they both said, this would be a slightly later Type 1 ink vue, with the stepped cap. I happen to have found it on fleabay

gallery_334_98_963109.jpg

What was interesting about it was that the cap and back of the barrel were painted or coated in black... something. This began to come off when restoring the pen, so at my request, Joel removed the rest of it. 

Sharp eyes will notice that the section is weird - there is no taper to it at all, it almost doesn't look as if its correct.

See the imprint

gallery_334_98_199247.jpg

I believe this was meant to go into an autosignature machine. Why would they choose to use a dealer demonstrator pen? Why would they paint it? I suppose its useful for one of these machines to know how much ink is left... 

Anyway, Joel did his magic and the pen is a marvel. 

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Very nice find. I own a couple and have seen a few more, but that's pretty small exposure in 15 years.  Joel of course does great work.

Unlike some Demos, we have actual Waterman documentation for this one, as it appears in one of that company's Pen Prophet magazines.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users