journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

gallery_80961_406_11315.jpg

gallery_80961_406_270641.jpg

gallery_80961_406_282392.jpg

I am pleased to have acquired this unusual Swan; it bears the model number E4C, a number that does not appear in John Brindles wonderful list of Mabie Todd pens (over 550!).  The pen and nib were manufactured in England.

The pen has a No 4 Eternal nib.

If anyone has any information I would be delighted to hear about it.

best wishes

Cob

Edited by Cob, 28 July 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#2 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

does it have a clip? it seems to be a variant of the swan eternal 44, of which i posted a pic of mine in the gallery:

med_gallery_171_58_17303.jpg

yours has a red ripple finial of sorts (which i've also seen on other swan pens, a very nice touch), while mine is all black.

googling, i also found this large swan sold on ebay with E4C on the section:

http://www.ebay.ie/i...C-/141307902175

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#3 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

does it have a clip? it seems to be a variant of the swan eternal 44, of which i posted a pic of mine in the gallery:

med_gallery_171_58_17303.jpg

yours has a red ripple finial of sorts (which i've also seen on other swan pens, a very nice touch), while mine is all black.

googling, i also found this large swan sold on ebay with E4C on the section:

http://www.ebay.ie/i...C-/141307902175

Thanks very much for your reply and for the link to the E444-60.

All very interesting this is!  And I am sure you are correct in suggesting that it is a variant of the E44 series - the giveaway being the "stacked coins" bands.  

Of course the 60 suffix means that the E444 was made of celluloid; my pen which as I said, has no other model number stamped on it is made from BHR, and I am lucky in that it has uniform colour and is pretty well black - not as black as black celluloid (e.g. a 230SF60-B I have, which I suppose is of similar vintage).  Yours looks splendidly black; is it a 60 too?

There is no clip - and fortunately there never has been!  The nib is pretty large - even for a 4 - a shame it's an Eternal, but one can't have everything and it actually does write very nicely.  Yes I do like the RHR finial (I have a SF230 with the same feature) sadly the Swan motif has practically disappeared.

I wonder if the E4C designation was merely a part number for a section produced to accept an Eternal 4 nib since it appears on the section of the E44-60 also?  I have an attractive leverless in a sort of "tiger-eye" colour.  This has a No 3 nib and on the section is stamped "L3"; there is no other number on the pen!  I suppose in that case "L3" simply meant Leverless No 3 nib.

Are you able to date your pen? Mine I suppose, could be anywhere from early 'twenties to early 'thirties.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Cob

Edited by Cob, 29 July 2014 - 01:06 AM.

#4 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Puzzled why you said it's a shame it's an Eternal.  I was under the impression Eternal nibs were top of the range of Mabie Todd nibs.

#5 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Puzzled why you said it's a shame it's an Eternal.  I was under the impression Eternal nibs were top of the range of Mabie Todd nibs.

Well I daresay that they might have been a de luxe option at the time, but "Eternal" means in the case of Swan fountain pen nibs, "rigid" and therefore long-lasting and unlikely to be damaged by heavy-handed writers.  They would be good for those used to ball-points.

In fact the nib writes very well and smoothly, and a bit of grinding (there is lots of tipping material) could give the writing a bit more "edge" and character.  I can live with a firm nib so long as there is line variation etc.

Best wishes

Cob

#6 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Indeed the nibs on my Eternal 48, 46, and 44 are all stiff as nails. Now I know why ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#7 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for that Cob.  I love Eternal nibs but I write fast and flex just does not suit.

#8 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for that Cob.  I love Eternal nibs but I write fast and flex just does not suit.

That's the wonder of fountain pens: there's something for everyone!

Cob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users