11 replies to this topic

#1 fabbale

fabbale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTuscany - Italy -

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm a fan of Duofold; tihis model it's my first love during my collector live.
In Italy, there are Duofold overlay made very well.

In this case, one made by F.lli Cavaliere (ANGLO AMER); a Firm that work also by Waterman.

For you a Big red RHR; not a good photo ma i think a great pen.

Your opinion???

:unsure:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I buy old Italian fountain pens. If you have some to sell, please send me an email.

#2 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

While I think it's a great looking pen, I'm not sure that it's a Parker Duofold. The shoulder on the section is not correct for a Parker section. Also, the blind cap on this pen has a flare at the end, which Parkers do not have. There were a number of Duofold copies made in Europe in the 1920s and I suspect this pen started as one of those, with the overlay added. Having a Duofold nib would not prove it to be a Parker, as those are easily swapped.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#3 fabbale

fabbale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

While I think it's a great looking pen, I'm not sure that it's a Parker Duofold. The shoulder on the section is not correct for a Parker section. Also, the blind cap on this pen has a flare at the end, which Parkers do not have. There were a number of Duofold copies made in Europe in the 1920s and I suspect this pen started as one of those, with the overlay added. Having a Duofold nib would not prove it to be a Parker, as those are easily swapped.

Ciao John
Although I doubt.
I called DUOFOLD because there was a nib but I was never sure.
I see your opinion as truth.
Give me an opinion on the next Duofold overlay I will publish; in this case there should be no problems.

Thanks for all

I buy old Italian fountain pens. If you have some to sell, please send me an email.

#4 fabbale

fabbale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Ciao John
Although I doubt.
I called DUOFOLD because there was a nib but I was never sure.
I see your opinion as truth.
Give me an opinion on the next Duofold overlay I will publish; in this case there should be no problems.

Thanks for all

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Not sure John. At first peek looks like a slightly shortened DF section. I could be wrong. Agree nib means little.

Either way, this is a stunningly beautiful pen. Evokes the Waterman Continental overlays, at least in my limited experience with them.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:00 AM

The second pen looks as if it started out as a Duofold Special.  I concur regarding the non-Parker features of the first pen.

Let me also add, with all respect, a comment about the use of "Continental" as an adjective describing certain Waterman overlays.  Nowadays, there is no reason to continue using this term, as it is both inaccurate and imprecise.  Back in the early days of organized pen collecting in the USA, much less was known about pens from other countries.  The so-called "Continental safeties" were pens that clearly came from Europe, but not from the UK -- hence the name.  

For many years, however, it has been well understood that these pens actually all are Italian, or Italian-overlaid.  They do not come from France, Spain, Germany, or any other "Continental" country.  So it is long overdue that everyone abandon the obsolete nomenclature, and call them simply Italian overlays.

#7 Eric O. Costello

Eric O. Costello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:23 AM

What amuses me is that you see something that looks an awful lot like maple leaves on a pen with a Canadian nib.

#8 fabbale

fabbale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Thank you all for your attention and your opinions

FB

#9 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

What amuses me is that you see something that looks an awful lot like maple leaves on a pen with a Canadian nib.

That jumped out at me as well. Of course they also happen to look exactly like ivy leaves too.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#10 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thank you all for your attention and your opinions

FB

Thanks for showing us such a beautiful pen!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

SNIP

"Continental" as an adjective describing certain Waterman overlays. Nowadays, there is no reason to continue using this term, as it is both inaccurate and imprecise. Back in the early days of organized pen collecting in the USA, much less was known about pens from other countries. The so-called "Continental safeties" were pens that clearly came from Europe, but not from the UK -- hence the name.

For many years, however, it has been well understood that these pens actually all are Italian, or Italian-overlaid. They do not come from France, Spain, Germany, or any other "Continental" country. So it is long overdue that everyone abandon the obsolete nomenclature, and call them simply Italian overlays.

Verily, thus the limited in, " Evokes the Waterman Continental overlays, at least in my limited experience with them."

I'm good with "Italian".

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#12 fabbale

fabbale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

Verily, thus the limited in, " Evokes the Waterman Continental overlays, at least in my limited experience with them."

I'm good with "Italian".

-d

Just appointed.

One in art deco style made in Italy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The other in ripple

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are CONTINENTAL FOUNTAIN PENS, MADE IN ITALY

Have been inserted for example CONTINENTAL talking about. The administrator decides whether to move in the waterman, delete or keep them to conclude some thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users