• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

At any rate, I'm glad to see this material out there, I hope the PCA has a good exit strategy to open up all these files to the world so they do not get lost should it ever come to and end, and it was nice to get a glimpse into things.

This is a most interesting comment. Seems odd that you think the PCA should figure out what to do with all of their great material should they become defunct, based partly on someone taking member-only information and transfering it to a fully public site. Why should the PCA be so altuistic towards a faction of the collecting community that feels it's ok to take their work (the hosting of the images that they have from members) and make them available to non-members? As someone who helps to pay for that capability through my membership and supports the PCA library by providing scans of original documents I own, I'm incensed that others would think they have a right to that information for no cost. If you want the information and don't want to get it through the PCA, buy it yourself on the open market the way those of us did who provided the information to the library.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#62 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Regardless of discussion of the legalities and smallness of the culprit, the practical result is that future sharing through the PCA's library will be diminished.  The volunteer librarians donate their time for the benefit of the PCA.  If that benefit isn't there, the volunteers dry up.

So the practical result will be that less information is preserved and shared.  Now when the widow tosses all those old, stale smelling catalogs in the recycle bin, there is a real possibility that some docs are lost forever.  Pity.

JJ

The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#63 D Armstrong

D Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Heh. I'll just bet you've been accused of being crabby in the past. Maybe even worse...

David Armstrong
--
www.restorersart.com
• Antiques for Readers & Writers •
--

www.scriptustoronto.com

• Toronto's Pen & Writing Show •

--
www.sevanti-letterpress.com
• Guaranteed Fountain Pen Friendly •

#64 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

This is an excellent thread David. It illustrates the challenges of the digital age. It explores what is legal and what is moral. It shows the problems in having dependency on public-domain materials. I'm inclined to see challenges here including "putting the genie back in the bottle", "closing Pandora's box", and so forth.

On one hand, wide distribution of materials even ones that require "sweat of the brow" might be inevitable and in some respects will increase accessibility of info but- as John Jenkins notes-- might disincentivize (sic?)  focused efforts to bring forth buried  material. And, organizations dependent on such info might have to find other sources of revenue.

I don't know what we'll see in ten years. I do believe the example we see in this thread is microcosm.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#65 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Ahh,

if we could only get FPN to care about these old musty Catalogs and Ads...

#66 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

PCA currently has only about 600 members.

Just to make a point, you're low by a few hundred members. Not up to the 1000 I'd like to see, but closer than 600. But your point about the registered users on FPN is a point that I've been making for a couple of years. Most don't even know that the PCA exists, and PCA members don't seem to be especially interested in telling them. I think that the library is one of the greatest assets that we have.  A client was asking for where he could find information on his (now) favorite pen.  I pointed him to two sources - books, namely Paul Eranos and Andy Lambrous, and the PCA library.  He was delighted.

Why would they do that when they can simply ask a question and receive an answer? Whether or not it's accurate is often open to question, but they get an answer. I seem to spend half my time re-re-correcting incorrect repair information, when a little research can give the OP a good answer.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#67 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Well all the "fuss" has stirred me to actually leave Krantz as the only only one "too cheap" to join the PCA :lol: .....better be worth the $60 btw...

Hugh Cordingley

#68 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

PCA currently has only about 600 members.

Just to make a point, you're low by a few hundred members. Not up to the 1000 I'd like to see, but closer than 600. But your point about the registered users on FPN is a point that I've been making for a couple of years. Most don't even know that the PCA exists, and PCA members don't seem to be especially interested in telling them. I think that the library is one of the greatest assets that we have.  A client was asking for where he could find information on his (now) favorite pen.  I pointed him to two sources - books, namely Paul Eranos and Andy Lambrous, and the PCA library.  He was delighted.

Why would they do that when they can simply ask a question and receive an answer? Whether or not it's accurate is often open to question, but they get an answer. I seem to spend half my time re-re-correcting incorrect repair information, when a little research can give the OP a good answer.

You raise an excellent point Ron. How do we all gather up some of those hoards of FPNers who may be interested in the history of vintage pens and bring them into the fold. 

If FPN is  50,000 active members,  think how it would transform our Pen show circuit if even 10% of them could be persuaded to attend a pen show !  Let alone join PCA.

Edited by Jim B, 06 August 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#69 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I was in hearings all day yesterday.  Now that I've got a few minutes, I thought it best to set the record straight on a few items that have come up in the course of this thread. 

First:  I am the editor of the Pennant, and I was hired to put out the magazine.  Period.  I'm not a member of the board, and I'm not authorized to speak on behalf of the PCA.  When I speak on the subject of the PCA library, I speak as a long-time fan of the project and as a concerned member of the PCA for what is going on.

Second:  what is going on is NOT, in my opinion, an altruistic venture to make information in the public domain available to all.  If I sounded sharp in my tone, it's because I believe I know exactly what is going on here.  Shortly after Paul Erano was relieved of his duties editing the Pennant, he began making plans to start his own magazine, tentatively called "Fountain Pen Journal."  There has even been a website page put up -- www.fountainpenjournal.com.   Take a look now before it's changed.  The links aren't active yet, and the "Staff Contributors" are Star Trek characters, but there's apparently plans to post articles on FPGeeks as well as here at FPB. 

But there's another link on this new web page that may well explain the sudden "altruistic" uploading of documents from the PCA's library:  "Archive." 

Those who are investing time and money into the new magazine know fully well that they won't sell magazines if people can just wait for an issue or two and read it online, so this "Archive" will obviously not be an archive of issues of Fountain Pen Journal.  So what will be included in this "Archive"?  Was the sudden uploading of PCA Library documents at this time a mere coincidence?  The reasonable conclusion I draw is that this "new" archive will be made up of documents that until recently were only available to members of the PCA through its library, and this discussion of whether these documents are "public domain" is nothing more than an effort to give credibility to a perfectly legal but nevertheless despicable act. 

This is the evidence that led me to ask David (close friend of Paul, frequent contributor to the Pennant and proud provider of cover photos on most if not all of the issues under Paul's editorship):  were you the person that did this?  Rereading this thread, I still see no answer to this question.

Third:  the first catalog I pulled off of archive.org had the typewritten legend at the top of the page indicating that it had been donated to the library by Fred Krinke.  Others bear similar notations which resolve any question: the copies recently uploaded to archive.org are without question the same copies that have been in the PCA library for years. 

Fourth:  I've never said that the documents in the reference library section at the PCA website was protected by copyright, although I'm not authorized to admit on behalf of the PCA that they are not.  I was never addressing the question "may we," but rather "should we" when it comes to the question of whether PCA members should feel at liberty to take information from the PCA's site and disseminate them to the general public.   I believe that no, we should not, for two reasons:  (1) those who have worked and are working tirelessly on behalf of the PCA to build this library did so to promote a non-profit organization and help attract new members by providing this library as a benefit, and (2) those who have donated materials frequently do so for the benefit of the PCA, not so that their belongings could be scattered across the Internet.  See Roger Wooten's comments above.

Fifth:  I have not suggested that those who have not joined the PCA are cheap.  I have said that those who seek out and rejoice in enjoying a benefit of a non-profit organization without having to pay for it are cheap.  I have far more explicit words for members who turn on the non-profit organization that has worked for their benefit, as well as for those who would claim to have an "Archive" that was built by someone else over a period of years.

I joined the PCA after a pen dealer sold me a binder full of copies of old Eversharp catalogs for $50.  When I showed them to someone who said they were copies of documents at the PCA library, I felt (even though I had paid for the copies) that I had in fact paid the wrong person, and that it was wrong not to support the organization that made it possible for this dealer to assemble my binder.  I felt I had wrongfully benefitted from the PCA's efforts and in fact rewarded the unscrupulous dealer whose PCA dues I had unwittingly paid.  I've been a member of the PCA ever since, and I have long been a public supporter of the library. 

As far as "Fountain Pen Journal" goes, the more the merrier, and I'm glad there will be yet another source of information available.  My hope is that it will be an additional voice rather than merely an effort by a disgruntled former editor to even a score.

I was brought aboard as editor of the Pennant because of my willingness to accept all voices and ideas.  I want expand involvement in our community and make it more inclusive.  I am seeking out new voices for our publication and I want to continue the contributions of those who have provided valuable information in the past.  I have invited David both publicly and privately to continue his participation, even offering to allow him to continue his "streak" of providing the cover photography -- a request to which I have heard no response.  David did indicate his third installment of the Gold Bond series will be available in about five weeks now, and I still hope he will choose to have it published in the Pennant.  If he doesn't, that's his choice.  My job is to make sure he and everyone else remains welcome to submit material of interest to our members.

In short, I want to build our pen community through the PCA.  I do not believe this incident was an innocent attempt to make information freely available.  I believe this is actually part of an attempt to divide our community, and that bothers me. 

Note that nothing in this message accuses anyone of anything.  It's possible that Mr. Armstrong just happened upon these documents at archive.org without being tipped off by someone else (for grins, try to "just happen" upon anything at archive.org).  It's possible that someone other than Paul or David uploaded these files just after Paul was relieved of his duties as editor of the PCA.

But if in the near future a "free archive" appears which bears uncanny resemblance to the PCA's library and which is used to sell someone else's magazines, I encourage you in addition to reading it, learning from it and enjoying it ... that you see it for exactly what it is.

Looking forward to seeing everyone ... David and Paul included ... over scotch, cigars and black pens this weekend.  After all, we are a dysfunctional family but a family nevertheless.

#70 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Alrighty then. Let's do play this out.

I was in hearings all day yesterday.  Now that I've got a few minutes, I thought it best to set the record straight on a few items that have come up in the course of this thread. 

First:  I am the editor of the Pennant, and I was hired to put out the magazine.  Period.  I'm not a member of the board, and I'm not authorized to speak on behalf of the PCA.  When I speak on the subject of the PCA library, I speak as a long-time fan of the project and as a concerned member of the PCA for what is going on.

It is good to clarify that you are not a member of the Board, though i don't recall anyone suggesting you were a member of the board, so perhaps you set a record straight that exists in your own mind. That is fine.  What has been noted in this discussion is an assertion that the Editor of the PENnant for many is the most Public Face  of the PCA and thus the PCA Board.   There is food for thought no doubt in the notion that the expression found on that Face has significance for the course of the PCA.

Second:  what is going on is NOT, in my opinion, an altruistic venture to make information in the public domain available to all.  If I sounded sharp in my tone, it's because I believe I know exactly what is going on here.  Shortly after Paul Erano was relieved of his duties editing the Pennant, he began making plans to start his own magazine, tentatively called "Fountain Pen Journal."  There has even been a website page put up -- www.fountainpenjournal.com.   Take a look now before it's changed.  The links aren't active yet, and the "Staff Contributors" are Star Trek characters, but there's apparently plans to post articles on FPGeeks as well as here at FPB.

But there's another link on this new web page that may well explain the sudden "altruistic" uploading of documents from the PCA's library:  "Archive.

In my role of very excellent medical clinician, I note merely in the most oblique and general case that paranoid ideation is an unfortunate thing to see in any patient or acquaintance.

The first definition from a Google Search for "Paranoid Ideation":

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat

From the easy-to-use Medscape website

Paranoid symptoms can present as persecutory delusions, paranoid ideation, or even increased suspiciousness and are nonspecific signs that can be present in a number of conditions of late life. Delusions of being stolen from are among the most common examples of paranoid symptom the clinician is likely to encounter.

Those who are investing time and money into the new magazine know fully well that they won't sell magazines if people can just wait for an issue or two and read it online, so this "Archive" will obviously not be an archive of issues of Fountain Pen Journal. 

I note in the general case that when  paranoid ideation is compounded by a profound presumptuousness (there's that word again) about how... other people... plan to structure a new project in which said person has no role, that we see assumptions of badness, or at least of hypthesized badness, whether or not the action-- even if it were to occur as suggested-- even were bad.  In Psychology/Psychiatry, this is called... Projection

From the Wiki:

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others.

So what will be included in this "Archive"?  Was the sudden uploading of PCA Library documents at this time a mere coincidence? 

We return to  general notions Paranoia

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat

Paranoid symptoms can present as persecutory delusions, paranoid ideation, or even increased suspiciousness and are nonspecific signs that can be present in a number of conditions of late life. Delusions of being stolen from are among the most common examples of paranoid symptom the clinician is likely to encounter.

Moving beyond general notions of Paranoia, I broaden to notions of limited syntactical capacity, the notion that a word-- let's randomly explore the word "Achive" merely as a general example-- has to mean what a Paranoid person thinks it means.  Indeed, it often means something else. I also find charm in the the jump in logic that a rudimentary page-holder for a web-site in any meaningful way reflects final product.

At some point we can explore the notion of self-fulfilling prophecy, the notion that presumptuous paranoid people-- speaking only in the general case of course-- can encourage the development of a real thing that initially was only his imagination. For example, a person  paranoid with irrational fear of having his wallet stolen by "The Mob"  goes and punches a mobster at random resulting in the mobster punishing him by stealing his wallet.  Weird world.

But, all this of course is merely general psychological analysis.  I enjoy philosophizing about psychology.  If we are move but briefly back to real world situation, I would invite counsel to offer evidence that what he hypothesizes is not coincidence is not coincidence.  Ahhh... thought not.

If one were to move beyond general psych observations and beyond simple questions about a scenario offered here by a lawyer, interestingly a notion that thanks to the badgering of poor David Armstrong by a lawyer and by others has now been shown to be wholly legal, one might move to more detailed questions like why would anyone pursuing the scenario laid out by a no doubt non-paranoid and non-projecting perfectly reasonable lawyer upload to an external site a mere handful of obscure-ish items. Seems like a pretty poor effort in this regard iiiiiif the evil mustache-twirling plan were offer a nice range  of  public-domain items to which we've seen no legal protection exists for the current hosts.  How could such Machiavellian manipulaters be so... hack amateur? ;0

And, of course, since the non-paranoid, non-projecting, very reasonable Lawyer positing this scenrio, doing wonders--- as the Public Face of the PCA to encourage (cough cough) the core group of contributors to his magazine the last few years--- to keep his coterie of authors coming back to offer more, I guess we can ask him to provide evidence regarding downloads of the involved hypothesized  evil-players in this or of anyone else, so we can explore who-- perhaps years ago-- uploaded 1% or less of the PCA public-domain archive to another Archive that of course has nothing to do with any nascent fountain pen magazine. Or... would that be too much to ask?   Insinuation of course has its charms, but data serves cases far better, I'd imagine.

The reasonable conclusion I draw is that this "new" archive will be made up of documents that until recently were only available to members of the PCA through its library, and this discussion of whether these documents are "public domain" is nothing more than an effort to give credibility to a perfectly legal but nevertheless despicable act. 

Tactic 14 from the Losing Debater's Maniual: "When you have no actual points of substance to make regarding a hypothesis that some might see (wrongly  no doubt, as Jon I believe is a very reasonable, grounded, and stable fellow) as Paranoid and Projecting, assert blindly in your conclusory (eep!) statement that your conclusion is... get this... reasonable"

This is the evidence that led me to ask David (close friend of Paul, frequent contributor to the Pennant and proud provider of cover photos on most if not all of the issues under Paul's editorship):  were you the person that did this?  Rereading this thread, I still see no answer to this question.

I observe in the general case,  that one can ask whatever he wants, however much paranoia, projection, hubris, chutzpa and presumptuousness is present, seems present in said questions.

I note also Tactic 29 and Tactic 29a from the Losing Debater's Manual: "When you truly have nothing of substance to offer in debate, act as though you have an right to an answer to whatever diverting question you toss, in attempt to distract the audience from realizing you have nothing of substance to offer." and...

"When you have nothing of substance to offer in debate and are on the ropes and have asked a diverting question to try to cover yourself, when your opponent does not engage, you then can try to claim the lack of answer means whatever you want it to mean".

This can work, unless someone has read the Winning Debater's Manual and knows to call out people using tactics from the Losing Debater's Manual. Just sayin'...

Third:  the first catalog I pulled off of archive.org had the typewritten legend at the top of the page indicating that it had been donated to the library by Fred Krinke.  Others bear similar notations which resolve any question: the copies recently uploaded to archive.org are without question the same copies that have been in the PCA library for years. 

I note that this is irrelevant to the issues raised by Jon Jenkins and Jon Danza and David Nishimura, three who raised legal and moral issues of uploading public-domain materials hosted by the PCA. Why?  That these copies might be in the PCA library (putting aside the valid question raised by Jon's "Third:" as to whether Fred ever/never shared his library with anyone else ever. Just sayin'...) has been acknowledged by parties in this conversation long ago.  Raising this as if it is new insight is... distracting. Better not to mix issues.

So, this has nothing with the insinuations made by the quoted Lawyer regarding a new magazine, and in any case we can point back to earlier posts in this thread in which it was acknowledged that there in no legal barrier to cross-posting public-domain documents, a question I actually was provoked to consider seriously for the first time merely because of the challenges put to Mr. Armstrong based on his innocent post.

Fourth:  I've never said that the documents in the reference library section at the PCA website was protected by copyright, although I'm not authorized to admit on behalf of the PCA that they are not.  I was never addressing the question "may we," but rather "should we" when it comes to the question of whether PCA members should feel at liberty to take information from the PCA's site and disseminate them to the general public.   I believe that no, we should not, for two reasons:  (1) those who have worked and are working tirelessly on behalf of the PCA to build this library did so to promote a non-profit organization and help attract new members by providing this library as a benefit, and (2) those who have donated materials frequently do so for the benefit of the PCA, not so that their belongings could be scattered across the Internet.  See Roger Wooten's comments above.

Whether this was said or not is irrelevant to the conversation in hand.

If the most Public Face of the PCA wishes to make assertions, what some might see as  insinuations or condemnations , then starting with the core basis of the challenging situation is an appropriate review, since that is what this thread was about.  I notice that the Lawyer quoted has not offered any evidence for his hypothesis  many might see-- wrongly no doubt-- as Paranoid and Projective.

Dang those pesky facts, always getting in the way of hateful speech... in the general case of internet debate, not here of course.

Weird how  the "may we" vs "should we" offered in the above quote as if it is an epiphany, indeed reflects the very questions I offered in earlier threads.  I am glad that the moral challenges I offered to the crowd had at least a subconscious effect on some.

We can (and indeed might)  explore further some moral scenarios in this thread, since I and others here  first learned in this very thread  of the notions of copyfraud, public-domain copyright law, and false expectations raised in people by virtue of their having contributed, what the law calls, "Sweat of the Brow". 

However, it is is odd for the quoted Lawyer to act as if this is a new notion here and to act as though this has anything to do with some new magazine.   The quoted Lawyer is far too free of Paranoia and Projection, what with being a kind, gracious, thoughtful Public Face of the PCA, to... assume anything bad (if his assertions even do involve anything bad) about any individuals. Right?

As a tangent, an interesting series of posts, or fresh thread, could be generated looking at the conflict of pre-digital concepts bumping into the digital world and what it means if an organization develops a business model with at least one aspect that cannot survive digital realities, something new to me in this thread.  In that tangent, as I mentioned in earlier posts, what indeed is the game theory of unlimited permissible digital distribution interacting with legitimate personal (if not legal) "sweat of the brow" expectations or misconceptions?

Of course, none of that has anything to do with some new magazine, though I certainly invite evidence to the contrary.

Fifth:  I have not suggested that those who have not joined the PCA are cheap.  I have said that those who seek out and rejoice in enjoying a benefit of a non-profit organization without having to pay for it are cheap.

Tactic 18 from the Losing Debater's Manual: "When you have been called out for a position of substance you cannot defend, deny deny deny".

I will not engage in debating what the Lawyer actually means by "suggest". Hell, some lawyers parse what "is"... is.   It could be that some people infer different things from what the Lawyer meant to imply.

I will offer in debate to the "FIFTH" point above, said Lawyer's own earlier words,

Per Jon Veley: As far as I'm concerned, it's difficult to understand why someone in our hobby - in which we think nothing of paying hundreds for the objects of our affection - would be too cheap to pay $40 a year to support a non-profit, national organization dedicated to improving the hobby.

I have far more explicit words for members who turn on the non-profit organization that has worked for their benefit, as well as for those who would claim to have an "Archive" that was built by someone else over a period of years.

I wonder if the Lawer misspoke in the above quote, as I imagine  him to be a non-paranoid, non-projecting, grounded and stable fellow, who would not offer Paranoid and Projecting claims that he knows of anyone who is claiming an Archive that was bulit by someone else?

I do invite names and evidence, otherwise we are left with insinuation, paranoia, projection... things I would find odd to be present in the most prominent Face of the Pen Collectors of America. ;)

I joined the PCA after a pen dealer sold me a binder full of copies of old Eversharp catalogs for $50.  When I showed them to someone who said they were copies of documents at the PCA library, I felt (even though I had paid for the copies) that I had in fact paid the wrong person, and that it was wrong not to support the organization that made it possible for this dealer to assemble my binder.  I felt I had wrongfully benefitted from the PCA's efforts and in fact rewarded the unscrupulous dealer whose PCA dues I had unwittingly paid.  I've been a member of the PCA ever since, and I have long been a public supporter of the library. 

The quirky anecdotes and experiences that contribute to an individual's psyche and perspective have tangential charm, though these are of course wholly irrelevant (mixed issues, distractions) from the case the Lawyer makes in earlier posts.  In theory we could concede the Lawyer is the Lord's Gift to Humanity, which of course proves little in an issues-oriented discussion.

As far as "Fountain Pen Journal" goes, the more the merrier, and I'm glad there will be yet another source of information available. 

No one would have imagined you thought anything other than "more than merrier", though your need to emphasize it now raises questions. Ah, that Macbeth. How did it go, "The Lawyer doth protest too much, me thinks"

My hope is that it will be an additional voice rather than merely an effort by a disgruntled former editor to even a score.

It is interesting that that  single quoted statement  likely terminated what a former editor had seen as a true friendship with someone he had wished well in his new role as Editor of the PENnant,  a new Editor whose earlier work  he had gone out of way to publicize when that pre-New-Editor published some written material.  I can't speak for how that former editor sees things now, though I know the fondness he held for that new Editor just a couple days ago.  It's good that I know the Lawyer now the Most Public Face for the PCA is not Paranoid or Projecting, though I note in the general case that Paranoia can sabotage old friendships.

I was brought aboard as editor of the Pennant because of my willingness to accept all voices and ideas.  I want expand involvement in our community and make it more inclusive.  I am seeking out new voices for our publication and I want to continue the contributions of those who have provided valuable information in the past.  I have invited David both publicly and privately to continue his participation, even offering to allow him to continue his "streak" of providing the cover photography -- a request to which I have heard no response.  David did indicate his third installment of the Gold Bond series will be available in about five weeks now, and I still hope he will choose to have it published in the Pennant.  If he doesn't, that's his choice.  My job is to make sure he and everyone else remains welcome to submit material of interest to our members.

Interesting thing about the Former Editor of the PENnant. He never engaged in online disparagement or of negative insinuation regarding... well... anybody. It would be unfortunate if the New Editor of the PCA, the biggest Face of that organization to the average membership, in a single online discussion managed to alienate nearly everyone who had contributed to PENnant the last few years and who had-- prior to this thread--- planned in varying degrees to keep contributing. Just sayin'...

In short, I want to build our pen community through the PCA. 

I will observe only that the Editor of the PENnant's approach to this conversation represents a... fascinating... interpretation of the notion of community building.

I do not believe this incident was an innocent attempt to make information freely available.  I believe this is actually part of an attempt to divide our community, and that bothers me. 

It is a good thing that the Lawyer offering opinions here does not suffer from the psychological condition of Paranoia, because if I read the above quotation from someone I did not know, I would see achingly deep degrees of paranoia in it. 

Note that nothing in this message accuses anyone of anything.  It's possible that Mr. Armstrong just happened upon these documents at archive.org without being tipped off by someone else (for grins, try to "just happen" upon anything at archive.org).  It's possible that someone other than Paul or David uploaded these files just after Paul was relieved of his duties as editor of the PCA.

Yes, I quite agree. I note merely in the general case that seemingly hateful, imagined insinuations backed by nothing, not even having pertinent context to offer... tends to do more harm to the asserter than to the assertee.  One wonders the impact of this post by the Biggest Public Face of the PCA on the many people who are members of the PCA, who might become members of the PCA, who in either case rather adore the Former Editor of the PCA, when it comes to their future involvement in the PCA.

I certainly insist on nothing. I do cheerfully speculate though. That's always fun.   I will refer pretty much the entire facebook  pen community and the 3000 names on my Vacumania mailing list to this page so the masses can  form their own opinions, during the next month or so. I am grateful that the Main Public Face of the PCA has brought all this to our attention. Indeed, analysis by the masses might supercharge some new magazine's subscriber base.

Along the lines of recognizing possibilities, something that seems important to the Face of the PCA, I note it is very possible that some Lawyers are not sociopathic wife-beaters who like to insinuate maliciousness absent really anything at all  to back their malice. There, that's a relief ;)

But if in the near future a "free archive" appears which bears uncanny resemblance to the PCA's library and which is used to sell someone else's magazines, I encourage you in addition to reading it, learning from it and enjoying it ... that you see it for exactly what it is.

It's good that Jon isn't Paranoid or Projecting, because otherwise we might wonder what he sees on a page that "resembles" the PCA's library. I invite specific evidence of the "uncanny resemblance" on another website to the PCA library. 

I note too, that there would be irony in the notion of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Note Tactic 53 from the Losing Debater's Manaul (common among lawyers) : "When you have nothing of substance to offer, and when you want to keep an opponent from doing something or going to an argument, try to make claim he already has done it and that it is bad, even though you know he hasn't done it". 

This is a slippery technique, but it fails when it is used against someone who has read the Winning Debater's Manual.

This technique also is used to try to poison relationships between people who have strong negative feelings about something (let's say John Danza and John Jenkins regarding the re-use of public domain materials) and friends of theirs who one tries to suggest has done something that those people might not like. That's one's a bit naughty, though still charming, right?

It also is used outside the context of debate to try to try to block a path of action that it finds objectionable. It would be quite ironic if  instead it proved to be what  sowed the seed...

Ahhh,  the PCA, like the "Palestinians" as liberal Israeli Abba Eban noted about the "Palestinians" nearly 50 years ago... "never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity"

Your turn,

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#71 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Wow Jon Veley, you really went off the deep end with that last post. For a lawyer, you drew a lot of conclusions that seem to have no connection to what's in evidence.

First, I don't see anything in archive.org that tells me when those files were updated. If I'm missing it, point me to it. So these things could have been out there for a few years for all I know.

Two, the word "archive" on Paul's new site could mean anything. You're jumping to a conclusion that it means a link to this PCA-based documentation is something that I suspect would get you hammered in court.

Three, I can confirm that Paul isn't disparaging the PCA and whatever resulted in him no longer being the editor. For proof, I can tell you that Paul asked me in early May at the Chicago show about contributing some articles to the Pennant. About a month ago I reached out to him about a couple of articles I have that could be used in the Pennant. He responded back that he was no longer the editor and I should contact the PCA directly about the contribution. He also noted that he was going to restart his old quarterly and would welcome any material I might want to contribute there. He at no time made any comment about the PCA or why he was no longer the editor.

By the way, I have no involvement whatsoever in this new publication that Paul is planning, nor do I know anything about who he's doing it with.

Jon, David's point is a valid one. Whether you're on the Board of the PCA or not, you will be the most visible person associated with it. So your comments will be evaluated in that role when the PCA is part of the subject. Based on what I saw from your last post, I doubt that I will make the contribution of articles I was planning and will suggest that the PCA Board find another editor/public representative.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#72 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

It appears as if most, if not all, of the archive.org material was uploaded on June 2, 2014:

https://ia902503.us....ainPenCatalogs/

https://ia902508.us....ensCatalog1923/

https://ia802506.us....ServiceManuals/

EDIT on 8/6/2014: It looks like additional material is being uploaded. The latest being on August 3, 2014:

https://ia902303.us....ServiceManuals/

Edited by George, 06 August 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#73 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hi John,

Good points and well (and gently) stated.

BTW, I am very eager to discuss with you conspiring on  a written pen project. I plan at some point to set up a light tent in Janesville, and could shoot some of your early Parkers-- your collection dwarfs mine-- for use in an article I hope you (or you and I) an cobble together.

I am deeply saddened to see how Paul was treated here, given the nice things he said to me about Jon within- ironically- the last week.

Some new magazine might already have enough material for the next issue and half, but there would remain room in that second issue (I imagine), and the mag won't be huge at first-- starting on a shoestring, fortunately by people who at least are not starving and don't need income right off-- but the page count will quite likely grow during the next year.

I also have it on decent authority that a Sheaffer expert who lives in your state in theory would be willing to offer Sheaffer articles to a new magazine, if there becomes a new magazine, speaking hypothetically...

Posted Image

#74 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Please note David's.... response.  I can forward the email to anyone who would like it, July 8

------------------------------------

I'd already heard, but congrats.

GB Part 3  Probably 6 weeks off I fear. Crazy times.

-d

To: "isaacson@frontiernet.net" <isaacson@frontiernet.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:59 PM
Subject: Your Gold Bond series

Hello David,

Although it’s not been announced publicly yet, I’ve been asked to serve as editor of the Pennant.  My first order of business has been to see where we are with existing articles/projects, which leads me to ask whether you had written or planned to write a third installment in your series of articles regarding Gold Bond and if so, when it would be ready for review.

Jonathan A. Veley, Esq.
3 South Park Place
Newark, Ohio 43055
(740) 345-0502 office
(740) 345-0540 facsimile
(740) 644-8182 mobile

Posted Image

#75 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

I invite commentary from any reader regarding the success of Jon's post on this page in making sure I and everyone else remain welcome. Of course, I suppose we could be "personally hated" while still "welcome to give things to the PCA". Ahh... the power of parsing.

regards

-d

Posted Image

#76 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

Just for grins, I just visited archive.org.

At the very top is an obvious and isolated search bar.

I entered the simple words "fountain pen"

Part of what turned up in < 1 second is shown below. The top hit brings up oodles of Waterman material. Simple searches for "Sheaffer pen", "Parker Pen" yield very nicely foused results.

I note that I don't consider this level of search to reflect the highest Astykkian levels of pen research. Indeed, any hack-amateur-newbie could find things here quite easily.  I cannot imagine if Mr. Armstrong were searching this site, as more of us have searched- say- google books, that he would have had a very hard time finding material.

I do wonder what is the basis for asserting a context that requires "tipping off".

As a tangent, I note that I see references here that I have not seen at the PCA website. Someone sometime asked about something along those lines...

grab_archiveOrgA.jpg

regards

-d

Posted Image

#77 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

It appears as if most, if not all, of the archive.org material was uploaded on June 2, 2014:

https://ia902503.us....ainPenCatalogs/

https://ia902508.us....ensCatalog1923/

https://ia802506.us....ServiceManuals/

Hi George,

Though these dates don't matter much, other than to provide information (always a good thing) about which John Danza wondered, I note that the cited date is prior to Paul's move away from PENnant. I find some mirth in noting that on June 2 and going back probably more than a year, I was not a member of the PCA (hey, I was getting 5 copies every issue as a contributor), without download privileges. Given that, perhaps  we will  see if the more paranoid can figure something out...

regards

-d

Posted Image

#78 D Armstrong

D Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yeesh, a fellow goes out for awhile, and comes back to yet another firestorm.

For the record: I am mostly not the same "David" that Jon refers to in his post. There are far too many Johns (and their derivatives) & Davids here.

Also for the record:

this discussion of whether these documents are "public domain" is nothing more than an effort to give credibility to a perfectly legal but nevertheless despicable act. 

"This discussion" is mine. The thread I started. I know nothing about a pending magazine, save for a back-channel rumor after I started the thread. I have no knowledge of any anti-PCA agenda, on the part of David Isaacson or anyone else. And I am certainly not a part of one, although I must admit to now being sorely tempted.

Regarding the server information referenced by George, keep in mind that a server will date stamp the time the files are moved to that server. They could have been uploaded a year ago, or more, and then been transferred to "ia902503.us.archive.org" on June 2.

I have much more to say, but am off to Guardians of the Galaxy first. Try to get along while I'm gone. This means you, too, David. (Honestly, the higher your dudgeon, the less comprehensible you are. And my comprehension is pretty high. Just saying...)

David Armstrong
--
www.restorersart.com
• Antiques for Readers & Writers •
--

www.scriptustoronto.com

• Toronto's Pen & Writing Show •

--
www.sevanti-letterpress.com
• Guaranteed Fountain Pen Friendly •

#79 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Yeesh, a fellow goes out for awhile, and comes back to yet another firestorm.

For the record: I am mostly not the same "David" that Jon refers to in his post. There are far too many Johns (and their derivatives) & Davids here.

SNIP

Also for the record:

"This discussion" is mine. The thread I started. I know nothing about a pending magazine, save for a back-channel rumor after I started the thread. I have no knowledge of any anti-PCA agenda, on the part of David Isaacson or anyone else. And I am certainly not a part of one, although I must admit to now being sorely tempted.

Regarding the server information referenced by George, keep in mind that a server will date stamp the time the files are moved to that server. They could have been uploaded a year ago, or more, and then been transferred to "ia902503.us.archive.org" on June 2.

I have much more to say, but am off to Guardians of the Galaxy first. Try to get along while I'm gone. This means you, too, David. (Honestly, the higher your dudgeon, the less comprehensible you are. And my comprehension is pretty high. Just saying...)

Hey, I'm all for dudgeons and dragons.

And, I'm looking forward to Guardians, though I don't like what modern Marvel has done to  the pure Drax the Destroyer as penned by Jim Starlin in his  epic 1970's Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock runs.

See. I am culturally edumacated.

Yeah, I probably should have split my  first response into a few posts rather than one long one, and not done it amidst pressure to run errands, pack for DC, get the hell out of town for that pen show, hope still to pick up Growler in NJ on the way, and-- ironically-- put final touches on photos for a an article that might appear in a new magazine, if there were a new magazine.  A couple of my sentences meander before getting back to the core smackdown ;)

I do remain quite happy you posted this thread.  I have learned quite a bit..

BTW, I have it on good authority  that a hypothesized new pen magazine would be more than willing to discuss McKinnon, if there were a new magazine...

regards

d

Posted Image

#80 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Having read this thread I have reconsidered my plan of joining the PCA - quite obviously the they must be using the same operating manual as FPN !

I'll just stick to this forum and consider WES instead. Just sayin'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users