Photo

Sheaffer Pontiac Reverse trim for how much...

Sheaffer Balance reverse trim Pontiac Grey Pearl Striated

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

First of all I didn't get a photo but I have a line on a Balance set, Grey Pearl Striated, reverse trim (gold) with a badge on the clip.  Badge is also gold and has an infilled enamel red "indian" head with the words "Service Craftsman" or "Craftsman Service". It was a little hard to see the imprint on the nib but I believe it was a 5.

Edit: Seems to the the same as the one David shows here. (top right example)

Pen and pencil seems to be in good shape, no cracks.

Owner is asking $300 which to me for an unrestored Balance seems to be on the high side. Owner cites the Pontiac cachet for the high value, I'm not seeing that even with the emblem.

Am I too cheap?

Edited by gweddig, 07 August 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

No simple answer. I've found a couple here and there at what I consider quite good price, but I am a hunter. I've never seen one sell retail. In general a thin gray set in nice shape probably would sell retail restored with warranty for half or less than half of your price.  Now for an unrestored oversized Roseglow...

I suspect even if I retailed one of these (do I have two? Maybe not in same color) with the logo I suspect it would still be less than $300, excellent, restored, with year warranty.

Not sure that helps...

regards

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

That was helpful, thanks. Basically what I was guessing. It's been sitting in the case for several years, I'll wait another 5 years and make another offer. I can get a lot of pens for 300$.

Now let's hear some stories from the show.

--greg

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

Stories from the show?

Howzabout the appearance of a new magazine for fountain pen collectors, run by prolific author Paul Erano, with full time contributing editor and "silent" partner... some guy who likes Vacs...

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

I have seen several of the Pontiac award pens, more vacs than sheaffers over the years. Prices are all over the place. I am not sure if the appeal to automobilia collectors value the pens more than fountain pen collectors, but I think $300 is quite high for what I observed. I would think maybe less that $200 or in that ballpark 

#6 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

Michigan pen guy Fred Wasserman had a boxed Cadillac presentation set for ca.  $75 IIRC.  It was in a mall just outside Holland MI  Mike Kirk probably bought it.  It was there for at least a year and did not sell.  It was a little rough but restorable.  So based on that as well as Rick and David's observations  $300 is over the top.  Fred is also a very savvy guy as well.

Jerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheaffer, Balance, reverse trim, Pontiac, Grey Pearl Striated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users