25 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Since I have added a few more pens, I decided to take some pictures of my Waterman 94 collection.  As I have said before, these are some of my favorite pens - perfect size, nice size nibs, great writers, unique colored hard rubber ripples, beautiful plastics.  Anyway here they are:

gallery_6983_116_91550.jpg

These are all Hard Rubber pens.

L to R:  Olive Ripple, Blu-Green Ripple, Rose Ripple, BHR half overlay in 9K gold.

gallery_6983_116_67676.jpg

These are all plastic pens.

L to R:  Persian, 494 Bayleaf overlay, Black with Sterling trim, Blue Cream.

gallery_6983_116_119900.jpg

These are also plastic pens.

L to R:  Grey Pearl, Moss Agate, Mahogany - the middle one with reverse trim and original Patrician clip.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

A neat focused collection, Allan.

Tangent collections could include finding other Watermans or even other pens done in colors for which the 94 is well known.  The Ripple patterns-- with 94 being particularly known for the non-Red-- can be found in the 52 model and in the desk pens (67 or 67 1/2? Another thinner pen?).

Here is link to three 94-size/shape Waterman-made pens. Only one is a 94.

http://fountainpenbo...mented-variant/

Pic from that thread:

waterman_olive_ripple_chrome850b_aikin.j

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Miker

Miker

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'll take one of each, but I don't see your Shopping Cart feature?

#4 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Beautiful pens: my favourite is the black and silver model - very nice indeed.

I'm writing here because I received a 94 today with which I am delighted; a very nice pen indeed.

gallery_80961_406_29415.jpg

Best wishes

Cob

#5 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

How much could you expect to pay for an unrestored blue/green ripple in excellent condition. 

The starting price is £249.99 but it's been relisted a few times so no one is biting.

#6 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

How much could you expect to pay for an unrestored blue/green ripple in excellent condition. 

The starting price is £249.99 but it's been relisted a few times so no one is biting.

So around $400 US.  That actually doesn't sound too bad, although some people would expect a restored pen for that price. Me, I don't care, since it is easy to re-sac, and I would rather do my own polishing, so it's not overdone.  This may be a case of too high a starting price, which you often see in an auction.  People often dismiss the item when it starts high.  By starting low however, they can often be induced to go higher than that seemingly outrageous price.  It doesn't really make sense, but it is common behavior.

In a practical sense, it seems to make sense to me to put a reasonable reserve on the item, but get the bidding going with a lower starting price.

Regards,
Allan

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Cob,

That is a very nice Mahogany.  Does it have a gold band or completely gold top on the cap?  If so is the top still stepped? 

That is unusual.

Edited by Procyon, 14 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

Regards,
Allan

#8 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

There used to be a post on lion and pen listing all of the variations of the 94.  I didn't save it.  Maybe someone else did.

http://kamakurapens....?showtopic=1614

#9 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Cob,

That is a very nice Mahogany.  Does it have a gold band or completely gold top on the cap?  If so is the top still stepped? 

That is unusual.

Hullo,

No it's not a gold band - sorry - a trick of the light.  The top is stepped which I believe is entirely standard.  I really like the pen - such a solid feel of quality and an excellent flexible nib.

Rgds

Cob

#10 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

So around $400 US.  That actually doesn't sound too bad, although some people would expect a restored pen for that price. Me, I don't care, since it is easy to re-sac, and I would rather do my own polishing, so it's not overdone.  This may be a case of too high a starting price, which you often see in an auction.  People often dismiss the item when it starts high.  By starting low however, they can often be induced to go higher than that seemingly outrageous price.  It doesn't really make sense, but it is common behavior.

In a practical sense, it seems to make sense to me to put a reasonable reserve on the item, but get the bidding going with a lower starting price.

Quite so: there as been a lovely rare jade green Swan with black bands listed umpteen times starting at £200 ($320) and then £180 ($290) with no takers.  That pen would otherwise have flown away - recently there was a Lapis blue 142/52 Swan that made £205.  from a £24.99 start.

Cob

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

I picked up a stone cold mint condition Mahogany set a few shows back, maybe it was Ohio Nov 2013.  I really must shoot it.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#12 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:21 AM

There used to be a post on lion and pen listing all of the variations of the 94.  I didn't save it.  Maybe someone else did.

http://kamakurapens....?showtopic=1614

Actually, I do have it saved. There are an amazing number of variations, although many of them are very rare.

Regards,
Allan

#13 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for that Allan I think I will give it a go and it's all your fault.  Didn't even like ripple pens of any colour but the more I see your 94's the more I want a blue 1.  Will post if successful.

Any idea how much a 51V would go for.  The only thing I could find was on FPN that David I had written in 2008 saying much less commom than 52's but that doesn't necessary mean more valuable so I'm stumped.

#14 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

Anyone?

Got the 94 bluegreen.  Will post pic when it arrives.

#15 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Anyone?

Well done!

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Cob

#16 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Anyone?

Great!  I look forward to seeing it. 

Regards,
Allan

#17 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

This is the E Bay listing.

http://www.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc

Allan/David Any idea re price on the 51V?

#18 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

This is the E Bay listing.

http://www.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc

Allan/David Any idea re price on the 51V?

Congrats on the Blue green 94.  That is actually a bargain I think since it has a 9K band and the original box/instructions included.  Plus, it does look to be in excellent condition.

Putting a value on a 51V is sort of tough for me. I admit that I am prejudiced against short pens, so I have really never paid much attention to that model.  It is certainly rarer than the 52,54,55, and probably 56.  But rarity doesn't always translate directly into price.  Smaller pens usually sell for considerably less.  Of course condition also matters a lot.

Just a WAG, but I would say around $250 would probably be reasonable for a really nice example. Maybe around the same price as a 54 or slightly more.

Regards,
Allan

#19 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thank you for that Allan.  Now have a problem to sac or not to sac.  Do you write with yours?

#20 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

I generally like to put sacs in all my pens, although I have too many to use each one on a regular basis. I have used one of the Blu-Green ripples a fair bit.  I use the Moss Agate pen a lot, mainly because I really like the nib.  It has a flexy medium stub which I find makes even my horrible handwriting look acceptable.  If a pen is prone to discoloration, I may leave the sac out - but usually I put in a silicone sac. The Blu-green isn't really too bad about darkening, so I would probably just put a latex sac in it, if you want to use it. In any case, you should clean the old sac out, if any remains in the pen.

Regards,
Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users