• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

I don't know if it's just a natural progression but since I joined this forum my tastes on fountain pens has undergone a major change.  I was always partial to a gold fill ringtop and hated large ripple pens of any colour or make.  When I saw a 'big red' I was mystified as to who could possibly like such an ugly pen.  It's now my favourite writer.

I started off by buying a Waterman No. 5 in a job lot.  Fully intending to sell.  I managed to bugger the lever up repairing.  Another NO NO - don't mess with pens when you are tired.  I sent it of to my favourite pen repairer Henry Simpole who had it fixed in short order,  Then something strange happened.  I just could not sell it.  Suddenly the red ripple with gold bands looked gorgeous and very classy.

If you follow my posts you will see my latest acquisition is a bluegreen Waterman 94 so not only has the finish changed but the size.  It's all Allan's fault.

I still like my little ring tops but don't have the same desire to chase them.  I can still be seduced by an unusual CS Dinkie though, although I think I know prefer my Dandy's.

Does this evolution happen to everyone?  I dread to think where it will end.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Just for fun. Waterman 51V and Waterman 52 1/2V

waterman51_52a950a.jpg

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

......    snip  .......

Does this evolution happen to everyone?  I dread to think where it will end.

Probably in the poor house, in a room next to mine, where we both sit in the dark caressing our fountain pens, muttering "my precious ... my precious". 

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#4 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Allan  I'm sure you are correct just sold a Snorkel on E Bay to get some money for my next purchase (moss agate 94?) paid £30 unrestored made £14 and change working.  Oh dear!!!

David my 51v is in better nick than yours.  Gorgeous little pen.  Might ink it tomorrow see how it goes.

#5 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'm sorta going through that now. For the past couple of years, I made an annual pilgrimage to the Bologna pen show to buy a bunch of Italian pens, a few of which I would keep, others I would sell. I was a fixture on Ebay Italy, and was constantly keeping track of who was selling what there. I would read Letizia's book regularly

But I seem to be gradually shifting away from the Italians to New York pens. I grew up in New Jersey, and feel a little bit of nostalgia for these pens (although I collect an era that was way before I was born, so I'm not sure what that's all about). With the exception of Waterman, a lot of the New York area manufacturers did a really crappy job of cataloguing their offerings, so there's always a little bit of discovery going on with them. 

But I think I'll still go to Italy this fall. 

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users