• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pen piddler

pen piddler

journeyman

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

What is the best way to anneal a Waterman lever box retaining tab/tang?

What is the best heat source?

What is the best technique?

I've only attempted to replace lever boxes three times and they were all vintage gold filled Waterman. The first time it seems I had beginners luck as everything went well. The next two times the tabs broke while attempting to reinstall. I've read annealing reduces the chances of breaking. I'd appreciate any help I can get on this topic. Any info pertaining to repairing the boxes with the missing tabs would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all suggestions you may have!

Edited by pen piddler, 18 August 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#2 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have repaired the broken ones by soldering a new tab on.  You can get a sheet of brass at most hobby stores, and you can cut a tab from that.  Actually though, I used an old brass shell casing from a .357 magnum cartridge, which is what I had on hand.  It was actually not too hard to do, but does require a delicate hand.

Don't really know about annealing, but it would probably be a good idea.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#3 pen piddler

pen piddler

journeyman

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Thank you very kindly, Alan. I have a few that need to be repaired using that method. I also have one that the tab is still intact and I'd like to anneal to minimize the chance of it breaking during re-installation. Thanks again for your advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users