7 replies to this topic

#1 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

In case you want to get on a hot auction check out - http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649  A $6,300 bid at the moment - 1 day to go.

$_57.JPG

Sellers pic

Ebay Ad Text added by Ye Olde Admin:

Ornate Antique Edward Todd & Co.N.Y SterlingSilver Repoussed FountainPen in box

Ornate Antique Edward Todd & Co.N.Y. Sterling Silver floral Repoussed  Fountain  Pen Art Nouveau in box

THIS IS A GREAT VINTAGE EDWARD TODD FOUNTAIN PEN. IT HAS A HEAVILY REPOUSSED FLORAL BARREL WHICH IS MARKED STERLING. THE NIB READS “EDWARD TODD & CO. NEW YORK ".THIS PEN MEASURES 5 1/4’’. THE BEST PART IS THE BOX (VELVET & SATIN LINED) INSCRIBED “ THE TODD FOUNTAIN PEN EDWARD TODD & CO. MANUFACTURERS NEW YORK, U.S.A.”IT HAS A WORKING PUSH BUTTON CLOSURE. I WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS FOR DETAILS AND CONDITION.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

I'd like to see imprints, but all told Parker and Waterman overlays offer no improvement over this. What a lovely pen.

Additional Photos from the auction

edwardtodd_fancyoverlayF2.jpg

edwardtodd_fancyoverlayB.jpg

edwardtodd_fancyoverlayC.jpg

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

OK, it has hit $15,600 so I guess I'll have to take a pass on this beauty!  I will gladly save all the sellers pics.  Still 12 hours left for someone to make a move...

Roger W.

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'm willing to bet that the seller had NO idea it was going to bring this kind of money.  I'd say he or she is absolutely flabbergasted at the moment.

#5 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

It's usually interesting to review the bidding on items like this.

Some psych phd candidate could model his thesis on the bidding pattern of the current second place guy.

The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#6 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

I'd like to see imprints, but all told Parker and Waterman overlays offer no improvement over this. What a lovely pen.

-d

From the photos, the pen is fully marked -- no doubt about it being Edward Todd all the way. And probably a record price for one, too.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

-d

From the photos, the pen is fully marked -- no doubt about it being Edward Todd all the way. And probably a record price for one, too.

Price has risen since my comment.  There are some quirks to the bidding pattern. That point aside, nice to see there remains interest in early overlays.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

$24,500!  That is big money.  Hopefully, everything is as it appears and it really achieved that level without any shenanigans - sometimes these things get relisted with a failed prior sale.  Beautiful pen, I like Edward Todds and had no clue it would go this high.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users