• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

These are some of my new CS Dinkies.  I ordered a new pen case for a few of my gold pens so I could take them out in my handbag.  Rather than send the case back I have used it for some of my new Dinkies.  I think they look rather fetching.

I'm waiting for another case for my gold pens.

I found the Peacock set cased with papers and as an added bonus it was uninked.

gallery_12816_182_342713.jpg

Edited by Widget, 20 August 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Great start to a collection. Only another 400 or so to go and you'll have nearly as many as me!

I started collecting Dinkies seriously back in about 1997, when I first met Barry Rose and bought a couple from him. He showed me a small collection of (quite nice) Dinkies he had bought and said 'You'll probably never see the like of these together again....' This was all I needed to spur me on to prove him wrong!

Andy

Picture below, plucked out of my gallery, is one of my favourite rare Dinkie groups. All the pens date very closely to 1931/32.

gallery_420_51_153587.jpg

Edited by AndyR, 20 August 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Thought I'd replied to this and it's disapperared.

I said

I have 1 like the 3rd from the left.  As it was Casein I asked Eric Wilson to re-sac.  It was crazed badly and he sanded it down.  I could not believe the amazing colours underneath the crazing.  He masked the imprint so you can see what the pen was like before.

Your group are just stunning.

#4 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

For those who might not know, these four casein materials are all from the same family, it is primarily just the green, yellow, blue and red base colours that are different. The patterns all feature a striking irridescent bronze inclusion with just a few other colours thrown in, and they were introduced no earlier than 1931. The red and blue variants continued in use for several years and it is remarkable how many examples of the blue material you find in mint condition. The green and yellow versions only lasted a year or so, the green is probably the rarest but the yellow by far is the most commercial. If you look in my gallery you will see a Waverley set in a cream based variant of the same material, but as far as I know, no Conway Stewarts exist in that colour.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users