13 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

Holy Macaroni Sheafferman! Or... happy happy David. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

sheafferbalance_slenderbrown_double_capb

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

The band on it?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

Yep.

The double cap-band (off-catalogue) is quite scarce overall, very scarce in late striated-plastic pens.  I have two. Danny Kirchheimer has at least one. Counting this new find I doubt I've seen more than five pens among the many sizes and colors offered in striped plastics.  This is the only slender brown I've seen.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Congrats! The middle part of the band, is actually a part of it (as in non-gold part of the band) not the pen itself? Apears not to be part of the pen, but I'm certain. Which is it, please?

BR,

Mac

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Congrats! The middle part of the band, is actually a part of it (as in non-gold part of the band) not the pen itself? Apears not to be part of the pen, but I'm certain. Which is it, please?

BR,

Mac

Pen will arrive next week, but I believe that is a black lacquer coating over the gap between the two discrete cap-bands, a gap that would show the striped brown plastic if the lacquer were not present.  My triple cap-band brown stripe OS seems to have same. I cannot comment as to whether all double and triple band pens had lacquer hiding the pen plastic that separates the bands (giving a black/gold-fill effect on all pens), with many having seen the lacquer worn away,  or if this was just done on some colors or perhaps late-era examples.

regards

d

Posted Image

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Early striped vac-filler blind caps and some pencils are made from material that consists of square rods of celluloid glued into a bundle instead a wrapped sheet of plastic. The black solvent-welded joint between each layer creates that neat cathedral arch effect on the blind cap or tapered surface. Your cap band and maybe the entire cap seems to show the arching. On a wrapped-material cap/barrel, the stripes get thinner/twisted/folded at the pointy end.

Please post a better picture of the cap when you receive it.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

The gem arrived today. Short-Slender. Golden Brown Celluloid. The third striped color double band pen I've found. Danny Kirchheimer volunteered a few years ago owning a double-band pen in stripes, a long-slender Gray.  Sold for a song on ebay. The "Loose barrel" was not a barrel-thread problem (I had anticipated having the threads tweaked or contributing a donor barrel) but just the common loose fit of gripping section in the barrel, a simple fix.  Very nice condition. Here is pic done my way.  Picked  up the pen for <20% its value.

sheafferbalance_doubleband_brownshort950

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:34 AM

So, what the frakkin' hell...

Does no one watch Ebay anymore?

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

This is October 13. Just about 2 months after the big win on the pen in opening post.

hh32hh16.jpg

Posted Image

#9 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

Sorry, could only afford to bid $55 on it so I saw it.  Anyway, I was a bit surprised it didn't make at least $100.

Roger W.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Sorry, could only afford to bid $55 on it so I saw it.  Anyway, I was a bit surprised it didn't make at least $100.

Roger W.

At least... ;)

-d

Posted Image

#11 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

Nice buy Dave. Saw the pen but the seller will not ship to Canada.

eBay has been hit or miss lately, I was the soul bidder on a Secretary OS the other week and won the pen at the starting bid price. It is fair condition at best but at the price I couldn't pass it up.

#12 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

Missed that one completely !! At least it's found a good home. I like that band configuration better than the first as well, rather neat.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

And... it arrived

sheafferbalance_tripleband_brownslender9

regards

david

Posted Image

#14 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

Wow!  Great find!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users