4 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

The other day I posted pictures of my Waterman 94 collection in the Waterman forum. At that time Daniel A mentioned that I didn't have a Black pen with standard trim.  I told him that Black was actually one of the harder colors to find.  He then told me he had one he would be interested in selling.  So I ended up buying it from Daniel.  It had some problems - clip was crooked, lever box looked like it was beaten on, section wouldn't go into barrel, section had deep plier marks, and cap band didn't seem to have much gold.

It took a bit of work, but I managed to get the pen in pretty good shape. I think I am finished working on it for now.  I am thinking of buying an electroplating machine, and I may eventually use that on the cap band.  The band doesn't really look brassed in the usual way, but somehow the gold color looks weak. One of the things I am really proud of here is that I was able to completely remove the plier marks from the section, using heat. I had never really tried to do that before.  Some heat and burnishing removed most of the marks, and polishing did the rest. The edges of the lever box looked as though someone had beat on them, but a buffing pad made it look better.  Overall, I am pretty happy with how it came out.

gallery_6983_116_124485.jpg

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#2 Daniel A

Daniel A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hey, I want that back!

Nice work Allen. I am glad it went to a good home and that it will have plenty of other 94s to keep it company.

Best,

Daniel

#3 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

I agree. You did an excellent restoration on that pen.

Jon

#4 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Allan  Just done my firtst 2 clips with Nickel base as per Ron's instruction to date no tarnishing.  Will give them a couple more days and post pics if they show no tarnish.

I find cap bands harder to do but not impossible just fiddly.

The Black 94 is looking good well plated band would just finish it off.

To think 6 months ago I'd never heard of a 'goldy machine'.

#5 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Widget, will look forward to seeing those clips.  I am pretty sure that I am going to purchase a pen plating system from Rio Grande. They are pretty well known plating suppliers.  They have a video, and the guy in it also recommends putting down a nickel base before doing the gold - like Ron said.

They have several gold solutions - some acid based, some cyanide based. I noticed the acid based one was only 24K.  The cyanide based solutions also had a 14K. Do you know if the cyanide is any more dangerous than the acid?  Obviously, you don't want to get either one on your skin.  But I am wondering if it is only an environmental problem that makes people shy away from the cyanide solution - or is it truly dangerous?  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated by knowledgeable folks out there.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users