#1 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

After some time of carefully inspecting every Duofold Check I had a chance to examine, I noticed, that all of them had only one "date code". Y.III which is suppose to mean 1st quarter of 2006. The more pens I see the more I wonder, is that the only period when those pens were produced?

According to perkerpen.net info, Duofold Checks in Marine, Olive and Amber were introduced in 2006, while Citrine in 2007. IIRC in "Parker Duofold" ( David Shepherd and Dan Zazove (2006)) it says, 2005 and 2006 respectively.

Checks were offered until 2012 with the exception of Olive, discontinued in 2009.

But, as I said, I have yet to see a different date code than Y.III. Have you?

I only have 3 Duofolds in Check pattern but I asked around, and have been reading sellers descriptions for some time now and ... still nothing.

I believe the "sample" I had access to was simply to small so far, but since Checks are my favourite modern Duofolds, I decided I want to know the truth B) :P

Would you please take a look at your pens in Check pattern? I would be grateful :wub:

Thanks in advance and looking forward to any response or hint,

Regards,

Maciek

EDIT: corrected data into date

Edited by MacKozinsky, 03 September 2014 - 11:43 AM.

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

#2 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Some more research and I can say that:

2005 is when Check pattern became available.

2008 is when Check Citrine became available

Some more pens inspected and still Y.III only.

Any help would be welcome. Like Parker catalogue pages from 2005-20012. And sorry for the spelling mistake in the topic -_- :unsure:

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

Wish I could help. I do nothing with modern date codes.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 penguy06

penguy06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

Hi Maciek,

I have a Check Marine Centennial with the date code T.I (third quarter, 2005). Hope that helps you at least a little bit! Cheers!

#5 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Mighty thanks penguy06 :-) That actually helps a lot.

I hope there are more Duofold Check owners reading FBP. Are they?

All the best,

Maciek

#6 encremental

encremental

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

Just saw this topic and checked my Duofolds. Very odd indeed!

centennial citrine - YIII

centennial ollive - YIII

international marine- YIII

demi amber - YIII

These pens were bought over a period of about four years from different places.

I will be interested to see if you get any more samples ...

best

John

#7 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for joining in an investigation John :)  So far only only one T.I code. I talked to two people with much more experience than I will ever have under my belt, and they both supect it's a question of production in large batches. And the date codes may in fact repesent the actuall "point in time" when - if nothing more - at least the end of the barrel was manufactured. If you consider the fact that the "check" barrels and caps were outsourced to an external company, stocking up other parts and not producing all of them at the same time ... to cut costs if not for other reasons? Sounds reasonable to me. :rolleyes:

All the best,

Maciek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users